Daniel Brothers’ Rotation

As part of a 3 man line? No. In a jumbo package with 4 or more lineman (preferably more). Sure.

However, you very rarely see teams in such a formation where that’s practical. Even on the goal line it’s better to pull people from the box than not. An outside zone, a play that is designed to counter such personnel groupings, is not only very effective at gaining a yard or two, but fits well with other very successful goal line plays.

It is a good look to have in your bag of tricks, though, it just needs to be understood it’s a curveball. Football theory has long since defeated such a look, if the opposing coach chooses to employ better tactics. So, yeah, it’ll work against Iowa. 

• Plus1 2
  • Haha 2
22 hours ago, brophog said:

As part of a 3 man line? No. In a jumbo package with 4 or more lineman (preferably more). Sure.

And hopefully we see Chinander doing just this in 2019. BIG ERN had a good thread last season about how Chinander failed to recognize 'numbers football' in some of those specific short yardage situations that we saw. 

Chin is going to have to learn from some of his mistakes from last year. And I think he will. 

3 minutes ago, Undone said:

And hopefully we see Chinander doing just this in 2019. BIG ERN had a good thread last season about how Chinander failed to recognize 'numbers football' in some of those specific short yardage situations that we saw. 

Chin is going to have to learn from some of his mistakes from last year. And I think he will. 

I was going to sarcastically say no since Chin never seemed to go 'jumbo' last year. Hell we would stay in a base 3-4 on short yardage all the time. I remember even former Nebraska players stating how dumb that was. 

14 minutes ago, BIG ERN said:

I was going to sarcastically say no since Chin never seemed to go 'jumbo' last year. Hell we would stay in a base 3-4 on short yardage all the time. I remember even former Nebraska players stating how dumb that was. 

We had Safeties on the line against Michigan.....

• Plus1 1
54 minutes ago, Undone said:

And your point is?

Probably just pointing out how bad our lack of bigger defensive sets was last year. I don't think we'll see Safeties on the line this yeah unless you count Domann, or cases where they walk up to blitz. At least not against Michigan/Wisconsin types of teams.

I like the Snacks nickname, but it's not exactly original. Damon Harrison is Snacks, it's even his twitter handle.

12 minutes ago, Husker in WI said:

Probably just pointing out how bad our lack of bigger defensive sets was last year. I don't think we'll see Safeties on the line this yeah unless you count Domann, or cases where they walk up to blitz. At least not against Michigan/Wisconsin types of teams.

That's what I figured but just didn't know if there was a context I was missing.

I think Chinander is 38. That's relatively young for a defensive coordinator at a major Power 5 school trying to be dominant again. I believe he'll grow into the role and improve pretty quickly.

1 hour ago, Undone said:

That's what I figured but just didn't know if there was a context I was missing.

I think Chinander is 38. That's relatively young for a defensive coordinator at a major Power 5 school trying to be dominant again. I believe he'll grow into the role and improve pretty quickly.

On top of his being 38, this will only be his 4th year as a defensive coordinator. There’s still a good chance he can learn from his mistakes. 

We’re not dealing with someone who has 20 years experience and still sucks.

• Fire 1
3 hours ago, Undone said:

It might also had been an issue with having the healthy horses even put in, in those situations.  His numbers will be much better this year Daniels brother here, as long as guys stay healthy.

• Plus1 1
1 hour ago, Undone said:

He was born in December of 1979, making him 39, but as your say, he is still relatively young and learning!