the day the dinosaurs died?

10 minutes ago, BIG ERN said:

100 miilion year old dinosaurs who were over 10 stories tall and weighed 70 tons...

take this to the politics and religion forum please.   thank you. 

On 4/2/2019 at 8:11 AM, Enhance said:

So, this is all sort of a rumination of the relationship between science and faith? That seems like a substantially different conversation than what's more believable between the story of Noah's Ark and the theory behind a dinosaur-ending meteor. (FWIW - just trying to better understand the source of your perspective/comments here).

By the way, that has the potential for some really interesting discussion/debate, but it is also probably more fitting for P&R. I can break out a separate topic if there's interest.

please do.   i know this thread won't go far...but i don't want it derailed with that stuff.   it is interesting science as far as i am concerned.   not a place for a flat earther to derail things.

2 minutes ago, knapplc said:

There's an extensive fossil record of their existence.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

zuXvWhZ.jpg

UTXoPTY.jpg

0ZUEomT.jpg

you forgot this 1 knap

th?id=OIP.Zj64YE1OABs3OHC4sT127QHaEK&pid

• Haha 1

it amazes me that they can even try to speculate this after 65,000,000 years...but i can see how he could think this way based on what he found

The asteroid had likely struck in the fall, DePalma speculated. He had reached this conclusion by comparing the juvenile paddlefish and sturgeon he’d found with the species’ known growth rates and hatching seasons; he’d also found the seeds of conifers, figs, and certain flowers. “When we analyze the pollen and diatomaceous particles, that will narrow it down,” he said.

• Plus1 1

very dry reading...but here is the paper referenced in the story.   i tried reading it all but it isn't written for someone like me to follow.  it is a very scientific approach to explain the sight.   still interesting as far as i lasted and could understand though

https://www.pnas.org/content/early/2019/03/27/1817407116

maybe i should rename the thread to the first hour after the asteroid killed the dinosaurs.?

The time frame indicated by the embedded ejecta and capping tonstein at Tanis overlaps with arrival times calculated for seismic waves generated by the Chicxulub impact, a peculiar coincidence that suggests the impact played a causative role in triggering the Tanis depositional event. Tanis is noteworthy in recording a brief period of time that directly followed (within tens of minutes to hours) the Chicxulub impact.

• Plus1 1

20 minutes ago, commando said:

Tanis is noteworthy in recording a brief period of time that directly followed (within tens of minutes to hours) the Chicxulub impact.

That's what's so amazing about this. It's that instant frozen in time. It's like finding the bodies in Pompeii buried in ash, encased in the exact moment a whole town died.

• Plus1 1