ILB Seth Malcom

Mavric

HuskerBoard Predictor  

31 members have voted

1. 1. To which school will Malcom commit?

• Nebraska
    • Iowa State
    • Iowa
    • Kansas State

This poll is closed to new votes

4 hours ago, HANC said:

I know that was sarcastic, but I really like this get. Kid can play

Not being sarcastic. He has a much bigger frame and is a better athlete. Dude averaged 12.1 yards per carry last year as a running back and was asked to do absolutely everything he could for his team.

8 minutes ago, The_Fan_Man said:

Not being sarcastic. He has a much bigger frame and is a better athlete. Dude averaged 12.1 yards per carry last year as a running back and was asked to do absolutely everything he could for his team.

He runs downhill on defense. Hits with force. Up close, he doesn't appear fast  as he turns corners and pulls away from guys with angles. This is because he is smooth. He is mean.  I have stood on opposing sideline too many times.  May take a redshirt year to put on desired type of weight if they truly want him inside.

11 minutes ago, The_Fan_Man said:

If you actually think that..step away from the kool-aid. He’s playing scrubs. Let’s be real. He should be dominating 8 man football in Iowa lol. 

Lot of 8 man recruits who fall under the radar. Northern Iowa usually gets them all. Starting tackle is a draft pick for them this year, played at Lenox.
     This Kid had offers from all the big schools In surrounding state’s. Should be fun to watch him develop 

51 minutes ago, Snowbird said:

Lot of 8 man recruits who fall under the radar. Northern Iowa usually gets them all. Starting tackle is a draft pick for them this year, played at Lenox.
     This Kid had offers from all the big schools In surrounding state’s. Should be fun to watch him develop 

Yes. Spencer Brown. Coached against him too. Kid was good in HS, but Malcom is a bigger impact player than Brown was. Brown has developed into a for sure NFL player. He blossomed. Not saying Malcom will turn into Spencer Brown.  2 other players from Malcom's HS have gone on to NFL camps. 1 started DE for Iowa for 2 yrs and another was starter on MAIA Div 11 powerhouse. 

I do agree with Decked in the fact that he shouldn't be compared to the best LB in the country, but excited to have him. Will be fun to watch him grow. His measurables are off the chart. 

9 hours ago, HANC said:

Yes. Spencer Brown. Coached against him too. Kid was good in HS, but Malcom is a bigger impact player than Brown was. Brown has developed into a for sure NFL player. He blossomed. Not saying Malcom will turn into Spencer Brown.  2 other players from Malcom's HS have gone on to NFL camps. 1 started DE for Iowa for 2 yrs and another was starter on MAIA Div 11 powerhouse. 

I do agree with Decked in the fact that he shouldn't be compared to the best LB in the country, but excited to have him. Will be fun to watch him grow. His measurables are off the chart. 

Yes. I can understand people being skeptical if a kid doesnt play against top competition. But if he has the measurables and you can see the right instincts and athletic ability and smarts on film and when talking to the kid then go for it. It doesnt mean he is anything less than any recruit in the country just because he happened to grow up in a small town and all they offered was 8 man football. For all we know he is better than the #1 recruit- time will tell. But no one is going to make that evaluation at the recruiting services because its too big of a risk without having good enough competition in high school. Maybe if he went to a few camps he could turn some heads and change that opinion.

• Plus1 2
1 hour ago, Huskers93-97 said:

Yes. I can understand people being skeptical if a kid doesnt play against top competition. But if he has the measurables and you can see the right instincts and athletic ability and smarts on film and when talking to the kid then go for it. It doesnt mean he is anything less than any recruit in the country just because he happened to grow up in a small town and all they offered was 8 man football. For all we know he is better than the #1 recruit- time will tell. But no one is going to make that evaluation at the recruiting services because its too big of a risk without having good enough competition in high school. Maybe if he went to a few camps he could turn some heads and change that opinion.

I agree completely.  The fact is, he did attend many camps, which is why his D1 offers came.  Stayed in midwest. Neb, ISU, KSU, MINN, .  Was on official to OU too.  8 player guys have to attend as many camps as possible to get noticed bc services will not rank them high bc of competition factor.  This is the way it works, probably justifiably. The D1 coaches will notice talent when you are at the camp.

• Plus1 1
17 hours ago, Decked said:

If you actually think that..step away from the kool-aid. He’s playing scrubs. Let’s be real. He should be dominating 8 man football in Iowa lol. 

I should say that I'm not saying he's the best linebacker recruit in the country, but he is bigger and a better athlete than the guy who is listed at number one right now.

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 1
3 minutes ago, The_Fan_Man said:

I should say that I'm not saying he's the best linebacker recruit in the country, but he is bigger and a better athlete than the guy who is listed at number one right now.

I get your point, but that's still a bit of a stretch. He is taller, but a lot leaner. And we really don't have proof one way or another who the better athlete is. Trotter would look like an incredible athlete playing 8 man, and Malcom wouldn't look so freakish playing better competition. I think Malcom is underrated for sure, and I'm super excited we got him. I would be more excited to get Trotter, even though he's a little short.

4 hours ago, Husker in WI said:

I get your point, but that's still a bit of a stretch. He is taller, but a lot leaner. And we really don't have proof one way or another who the better athlete is. Trotter would look like an incredible athlete playing 8 man, and Malcom wouldn't look so freakish playing better competition. I think Malcom is underrated for sure, and I'm super excited we got him. I would be more excited to get Trotter, even though he's a little short.

Point well taken, I'm not trying to disparage Trotter (who I think is really good too) but everything I've seen about Malcom makes me optimistic for his future. He has the frame (legit 6'3" and long), runs well (53 second 400m), and dominates his over-matched competition (12.1 YPC and DPOY two years in a row). It's just very easy to see how he progresses into a Will Compton level player and not a stretch to go above that.*

*Disclaimer: I thought Corey Whitaker, Alonzo Whaley, Deontre Thomas, Curenski Gilleylen, Kevin Maurice, and Given Price were future all-conference level players.

• Plus1 1
  • Mavric changed the title to ILB Seth Malcom