JUCO DT Jahkeem Green [Nebraska Commit]

Mavric

16 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

That's much more true for a 2 for 2 compared to a 3 for 2 guy.

Yeah, there is a lot more flexibility here. This guy is going to need it, he has a lot of work just to make it to campus. It’s one of those things where if he can play, great, but if not then great, too.

As previously mentioned, the biggest advantage of him being a JUCO is in having an upperclassman next year in a group that loses several seniors.

I’m just glad to land him. Elite talent. He’s big, he’s mean, he’s long and he can run.

• Plus1 2

30 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

Question....why would you use the MOST IMPORTANT games at the end of the season to get a player some experience that hasn't played all year?

This recruit is simply a last minute "cherry" added to the 2019 class.  Thus, with the rotation and direction already going down a particular track ... and this player getting here just before the season starts ... I would let him adjust to the culture, learn the defense and let the conditioning program work for him (from what I understand that part is less during the season ... so he would have a program set up for him to get the conditioning he needs).

The reason I would save him for the most important is that he is the "last minute cherry".  Thus, use him in the four most important games as a rotation guy.  I'm assuming that from his rating and the other teams that wanted him ... this guy is just as good or perhaps better in some respects to what is there.  To me, I don't see any need to play him in four games that don't really matter and then let him sit when we come to the tough part of the B1G season when others are wore down, injured and could use a break.  I'm assuming that he is a guy that the coaches will have confidence in to come in as relief and put in some minutes.  If that is so (and I believe that will be the view), I want this guys minutes to be in games when our first stringers need some solid rotation so in the 4th quarter our first stringers are fresher then they would have been.

If I understand how this would work, in practices up until he played, I would have him going up against the #1 offense and by the time he went through week 6 or 7 I would think the coaches will know if he was ready to be in a game situation after taking on our #1 offensive line and seeing how he handles getting to Martinez.  If they don't know by then or he hasn't proven himself to get on the field for his backup reps that what did we really lose?  I'd just save him for the next season.  

It's an opinion ... but I'd rather he be used in some B1G contest then in the first four games when he isn't really even prepared to put his best foot forward.  I would like to set him up for success but use him when it benefits the team the most ... and my opinion is that it's better to have him for depth in an important game.

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1
31 minutes ago, BigRedN said:

This recruit is simply a last minute "cherry" added to the 2019 class.  Thus, with the rotation and direction already going down a particular track ... and this player getting here just before the season starts ... I would let him adjust to the culture, learn the defense and let the conditioning program work for him (from what I understand that part is less during the season ... so he would have a program set up for him to get the conditioning he needs).

The reason I would save him for the most important is that he is the "last minute cherry".  Thus, use him in the four most important games as a rotation guy.  I'm assuming that from his rating and the other teams that wanted him ... this guy is just as good or perhaps better in some respects to what is there.  To me, I don't see any need to play him in four games that don't really matter and then let him sit when we come to the tough part of the B1G season when others are wore down, injured and could use a break.  I'm assuming that he is a guy that the coaches will have confidence in to come in as relief and put in some minutes.  If that is so (and I believe that will be the view), I want this guys minutes to be in games when our first stringers need some solid rotation so in the 4th quarter our first stringers are fresher then they would have been.

If I understand how this would work, in practices up until he played, I would have him going up against the #1 offense and by the time he went through week 6 or 7 I would think the coaches will know if he was ready to be in a game situation after taking on our #1 offensive line and seeing how he handles getting to Martinez.  If they don't know by then or he hasn't proven himself to get on the field for his backup reps that what did we really lose?  I'd just save him for the next season.  

It's an opinion ... but I'd rather he be used in some B1G contest then in the first four games when he isn't really even prepared to put his best foot forward.  I would like to set him up for success but use him when it benefits the team the most ... and my opinion is that it's better to have him for depth in an important game.

I think you are over simplifying how he could come into a game in the last half of the season and be better than a guys who have been in the system for over a year and have at least 6 games experience in the season playing with each other.

However, the last half of our season is @Minnesota, Indiana, @Purdue, Wisconsin, @Maryland, Iowa.  it's not like he would be being thrown out there on the road at Michigan, PSU or OSU.

I would caution everyone on thinking this guy is just going to come in and dominate and be worlds  better than what we currently have this year.  There are top rated JUCO players that come in and do very well. There are also top rated JUCO players that come in and flame out.  And, that's not indicative of anything just at Nebraska or any particular coaching staff.

I believe if you think this guy can be a major force late in the season, you get him in maybe one or two games early in the year and see how he stands up in a P5 game against P5 competition.  Then, if you need to, you can save one or two games of his for late in the season if you need him.

• Plus1 2
1 hour ago, BigRedBuster said:

I think you are over simplifying how he could come into a game in the last half of the season and be better than a guys who have been in the system for over a year and have at least 6 games experience in the season playing with each other.

However, the last half of our season is @Minnesota, Indiana, @Purdue, Wisconsin, @Maryland, Iowa.  it's not like he would be being thrown out there on the road at Michigan, PSU or OSU.

I would caution everyone on thinking this guy is just going to come in and dominate and be worlds  better than what we currently have this year.  There are top rated JUCO players that come in and do very well. There are also top rated JUCO players that come in and flame out.  And, that's not indicative of anything just at Nebraska or any particular coaching staff.

I believe if you think this guy can be a major force late in the season, you get him in maybe one or two games early in the year and see how he stands up in a P5 game against P5 competition.  Then, if you need to, you can save one or two games of his for late in the season if you need him.

... and again, I think you are reading into this ALOT!  I didn't say that this guy will "be better than a guy who has been in the system for over a year".  I said that he might come in and give a 1st stringer a rotation break.  

Second, you actually confirm my point in the second sentence ... this is why I think you save this guy to one of these bigger four games at the end of the season but against B1G teams.  It's not like he is playing Michigan, PSU or OSU on the road.  But for whatever reason ... you seem to think I want this guy to take the spot of one of our starting studs and in the biggest of games early in the season.

You caution "EVERYONE" on thinking this guy is just going to come in and dominate ... but you are quoting me as if I'm the one saying it.  I'm actually being very modest in his use for as high of a rating as he does have.

I have no problem with your last statement ... it is your opinion.  I'm going to assume in your opinion that you believe he will be adjusted, know the defense and be ready in his conditioning to actually come in on a rotation and perform up to the level the coaches want.  You are free to have that opinion.  I'm simply believing that he won't be ready that early nor am I playing him in a big game early in the season in the likes of Michigan, PSU or OSU.  As I have looked at the schedule ... I think he would be able to have an easy start to his season in a rotation capacity against Indiana at home, then use him at Purdue in a backup rotation, home against Wisky (which would keep our guys fresh) and then probably play him in the same capacity against Iowa.  I wouldn't play him at Maryland.  Again, for me, those aren't the toughest teams but what would allow him a break-in game and give him some experience and us some depth when it is probably needed (from what we can see now).

My two cents.

• Plus1 1

Held and Fisher have said the approach to recruiting is to go get players who can come in and compete/take jobs. Sure, the fact he helps bridge the gap next year probably was part of it, but this is a dude with serious SEC offers. He's not coming in to be preserved. The d-linemen left a lot to be desired last year. 

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...