2019-20 Season Notes

Davis: My way-too-early top 25 for 2019-20. Here’s looking at you, Sparty

The next 20

26. Syracuse; 27. Iowa State; 28. USC; 29. Virginia Tech; 30. Tennessee; 31. Wisconsin; 32. Mississippi State. 33. Oklahoma; 34. Marquette; 35. N.C. State; 36. Texas; 37. Texas Tech. 38. Creighton; 39. Illinois; 40. Baylor; 41. Liberty; 42. Xavier; 43. Indiana; 44. Nebraska; 45. Arizona State

• Plus1 2

• 3 weeks later...

NEBRASKA'S FRED HOIBERG: A+

Fred Hoiberg surprised many by taking the Nebraska job rather than some of the more highly touted positions available. Ever since then, however, he has continually won a number of recruiting battles. Just as he did at Iowa State, he has been relying heavily upon the transfer realm. 

FGCU wing Haanif Cheatham and Seattle big Matej Kavas each pledged to the program and both will be immediately eligible to compete in the fall, as will junior college standouts Jervay Green and Cameron Mack. 

Dalano Banton, a former Rivals150 prospect, should pay dividends down the road once his college clock begins in the fall of 2020. Further work must be done, and the Huskers might need at least three more players this spring, but the Fred Hoiberg era could not have started any better.

• Plus1 3
  • 1 month later...

• 2 weeks later...

C.J. Moore’s college basketball mailbag: Nebraska’s future, Gonzaga’s potential, Big 12 and SEC predictions

Which teams do you think will benefit the most from the 3-point line being moved back? Which will be negatively impacted? — Brendan S

<snip>

I also think, similar to the NBA, the teams that do a good job taking advantage of spacing by shooting a lot of 3s will benefit. Villanova, Creighton, Purdue, Iowa State and Nebraska (now with Fred Hoiberg) immediately come to mind. 

What should Husker fans’ expectations be in Year 1 of the Hoiberg Era? Year 2? — James J.

It’s really hard for me to predict because Haanif Cheatham is the only player I’ve actually seen play. I do think Nebraska’s roster situation for Year One is in better shape than Fred Hoiberg’s first year in Ames (when he went 3-13 in the Big 12), because no one was utilizing the grad transfer rule back then, and he has two now in Cheatham and Matej Kavas. But I don’t think Year Two will be as good, because there’s much more competition for transfers these days and he doesn’t have a Royce White waiting for his turn.

That said, a lot is made about Hoiberg relying on transfers during his Iowa State days, and it was part of the formula, but near the end much of his success was because of his ability to identify some under-the-radar high school guys who turned into pros. Look at what Georges Niang, Monte Morris, Naz Mitrou-Long and Matt Thomas (just signed by the Raptors) have become.

So I’m a Hoiberg believer. Next year’s success could depend a lot on two Tim Miles guys in Dachon Burke Jr., a transfer who sat out last year from Robert Morris, and junior college transfer Jervay Green. I know Miles loved Green. It also helps that Nebraska gets a summer trip to Italy. I’m not sure the success will be as immediate as it was in Ames, but eventually, I think Hoiberg gets it rolling there. I’ll predict his first NCAA Tournament is in 2021, and that first NCAA tourney win in program history comes in 2022.

• Plus1 2
  • 2 weeks later...