2019-20 Season Notes

18 minutes ago, RedSavage said:

I really don't understand that.  I feel like that should be one of the easiest things to teach/learn how to at least be decent at.  Shoot FT's until your arms fall off and then keep shooting.

It has never really made sense to me how you can have guys struggling to shoot 60%. I would almost just assume they dont practice them.

I feel like if you gave me a year, I could get shoot 85% in free throw situations at that level... I would be garbage at everything else and fatigue is probably a real issue. 

24 minutes ago, Minnesota_husker said:

It has never really made sense to me how you can have guys struggling to shoot 60%. I would almost just assume they dont practice them.

I feel like if you gave me a year, I could get shoot 85% in free throw situations at that level... I would be garbage at everything else and fatigue is probably a real issue. 

I don't understand why you wouldn't practice them though, especially if you're that bad at it.  Yea, same.  Just seems like making FT's should be basketball 101.

14 hours ago, GBRFAN said:

It's a fact

Ummmm.....your comment doesn’t come anywhere close to explaining the importance of good free throw shooting. 

A team who shoots good free throws can cause the opponent to have to play defense more conservatively....and they can be more aggressive offensively which opens up the game. 

it can also demoralize the other team. 

it can also allow you to win close games down the stretch. 

Your comment was nowhere close to reality in how important free throw shooting is. 

• Fire 1
3 hours ago, BigRedBuster said:

Ummmm.....your comment doesn’t come anywhere close to explaining the importance of good free throw shooting. 

A team who shoots good free throws can cause the opponent to have to play defense more conservatively....and they can be more aggressive offensively which opens up the game. 

it can also demoralize the other team. 

it can also allow you to win close games down the stretch. 

Your comment was nowhere close to reality in how important free throw shooting is. 

Good FT shooting is important and can close out a game - A game can also be closed out by good 3 point shooting, avoiding TO when pressured and solid Defense.  So yes there are many ways to close out a game and FT are one of them.  However shooting FT til your arm falls off as stated in this thread is silly.  A college level player is going to be capable of making FT and the 1 or 2 players that shoot the worst are going to be targeted late in a game (so they need to bring their individual % up) There are only so many hours in a day and FT are not the only thing to work on.  All the things you mentioned can also happen by shooting from behind the arc. FH hates the mid range jumper and a FT is similar in distance - so don't expect a lot of extra practice time on FT's.

• Plus1 1

On 11/3/2019 at 11:06 AM, GBRFAN said:

Good FT shooting is important and can close out a game - A game can also be closed out by good 3 point shooting, avoiding TO when pressured and solid Defense.  So yes there are many ways to close out a game and FT are one of them.  However shooting FT til your arm falls off as stated in this thread is silly.  A college level player is going to be capable of making FT and the 1 or 2 players that shoot the worst are going to be targeted late in a game (so they need to bring their individual % up) There are only so many hours in a day and FT are not the only thing to work on.  All the things you mentioned can also happen by shooting from behind the arc. FH hates the mid range jumper and a FT is similar in distance - so don't expect a lot of extra practice time on FT's.

Well, I'm glad from the press conferences it sounds like the coaching staff and players think free throw shooting is important enough to work on it.

• Plus1 1