Michigan State's Tom Izzo on Fred Hoiberg: "He'll be a hell of a coach for Nebraska"

https://www.omaha.com/huskers/plus/from-final-four-spartans-tom-izzo-praises-fred-hoiberg-he/article_9f4e9f4e-3129-538e-a94f-2d7b5dcef891.html

There’s a gravitational pull around coaches at the Final Four.

Cameramen, school communications staffers and boom mics capturing sound for later TV segments hover around coaches’ personal bubbles.

Michigan State coach Tom Izzo left a practice court built in the middle of a football field at U.S. Bank Stadium on Thursday with the orbiting posse.

But the name Fred Hoiberg stopped Izzo on the plush black carpet.

“Fred?” Izzo said. “Yeah, I can talk about Fred.”

Izzo, the unofficial spokesman for coaches in the Big Ten, is a big fan.

“Very, very good coach who can recruit,” Izzo said. “I think he’ll be a hell of a coach at Nebraska. I really do.”

Izzo was a prominent supporter of former Nebraska coach Tim Miles. He stumped for Miles nearly every year and complained at Big Ten media day last October that Nebraska should’ve been in the NCAA tournament. Izzo called Miles after the 2013-14 season and gave him advice on how to deal with the NCAA tournament bid. Izzo didn’t call Miles last year, he said, because Nebraska was too good and didn’t need any help.

• Plus1 1