Mark Boehm to Take Limited Role; Moos More Involved

Marc Boehm, who has served as Nebraska basketball's lead administrator for 16 seasons, will take a more limited role in the program moving forward, he told The World-Herald on Monday.

Each Nebraska sport has its own administrator. Boehm handled several duties with Nebraska basketball, including budget planning, staffing, compliance and  scheduling.

Boehm will now focus on his position as the executive associate athletic director for external operations, which has him overseeing eight different departments within the athletic department, including ticketing, social media, HuskerVision and cheerleading, among others.

Boehm said Athletic Director Bill Moos will have a more hands-on role with men’s basketball moving forward, similar to the set up Moos currently has with Scott Frost and the football program. Moos and Frost meet often, Boehm said, and that will be the case with new basketball coach Fred Hoiberg.

OWH

• Plus1 2

53 minutes ago, JJ Husker said:

Maybe this helps answer the question of the source of the rumors about Moos. If you've been lackluster at your job for a decade and someone shows up demanding results and accountability, I would think it might generate some hard feelings.

I've been wondering about those rumors for a while. Who made those allegations, and what do they hope to gain from them?  It's a viable theory that the guy who stood to lose influence in a major program could have been the source.

Hold on...

So a dude that ran basketball and had horrible results gets a new title and an easier role with essentially zero real responsibilities?  Tickets sell themselves, HuskerVision seems to be fine, cheerleading?

Amazing...truly amazing how people fail up.

Could you imagine that conversation?

"Mark, thanks for stopping in, we are going to move you from Basketball and now you are going to cover our twitter account and that Runza game on HuskerVision where you guess which Runza will win the race...oh and you are getting a raise"

1 hour ago, JJ Husker said:

Maybe this helps answer the question of the source of the rumors about Moos. If you've been lackluster at your job for a decade and someone shows up demanding results and accountability, I would think it might generate some hard feelings.

8 minutes ago, knapplc said:

I've been wondering about those rumors for a while. Who made those allegations, and what do they hope to gain from them?  It's a viable theory that the guy who stood to lose influence in a major program could have been the source.

A theory I had when the Moos rumors started was that maybe Moos was trying to rightsize the Athletic Department after being bloated by Eichorst which was making some people angry if they were in danger of losing their job.  I didn't put two and two together regarding this story but it kind of makes sense.   If Boehm was the source of the rumors, it was a shabby ploy and Moos was being generous by not firing him.  If this is kind of a promotion as @teachercd believes, Boehm probably wasn't the source or if he was the source, Moos has no suspicion that he was.  Maybe Moos is being ironic by putting him in charge of social media and this is actually kind of a demotion.

After the two coaching hires Moos should have enough clout to rightsize the AD if needed.

What I picked up from this article was that Moos was taking on more work which didn't jibe with the rumors that he was lazy.

• Plus1 1

32 minutes ago, 4skers89 said:

A theory I had when the Moos rumors started was that maybe Moos was trying to rightsize the Athletic Department after being bloated by Eichorst which was making some people angry if they were in danger of losing their job.  I didn't put two and two together regarding this story but it kind of makes sense.   If Boehm was the source of the rumors, it was a shabby ploy and Moos was being generous by not firing him.  If this is kind of a promotion as @teachercd believes, Boehm probably wasn't the source or if he was the source, Moos has no suspicion that he was.  Maybe Moos is being ironic by putting him in charge of social media and this is actually kind of a demotion.

After the two coaching hires Moos should have enough clout to rightsize the AD if needed.

What I picked up from this article was that Moos was taking on more work which didn't jibe with the rumors that he was lazy.

Yep. All of that makes sense. The Moos rumors never made any sense, but they're kind of understandable if he's possibly downsizing the AD.

1 hour ago, knapplc said:

Yep. All of that makes sense. The Moos rumors never made any sense, but they're kind of understandable if he's possibly downsizing the AD.

Sadly, I thought the Moos rumors could be true at the time they came out.  Few people know or have spent enough time with public figures like Moos to definitely know the rumors were false.  Whoever started the rumors, what was their objective?  If it was a desperate attempt to save their own job, wouldn’t they figure that the only way to do that would be if Moos was fired?  They should have figured that people that know Moos and could fire him would also know the rumors were false.  In that case, were they just being vindictive?  Given the timing, I’m leaning toward a theory that someone thought retaining Miles was the best thing for the b-ball program or was in their own best interest.  By creating controversy about the AD he would be too busy defending himself to fire Miles and hire a new coach which seems like a more achievable objective.  Was that Broehm?  We tend to lop off the head of the AD that hired a fball coach that needs replaced. I don’t recall hearing about administrators overseeing a failing program being fired.  There are probably reasons why Broehm would be motivated to have Miles retained. I think more sleuthing is needed to declare Broehm the culprit.  Knowing whether this was actually a promotion or demotion might indicate something. I’m not going to subscribe to OWH to look for clues though.

2 hours ago, knapplc said:

26 minutes ago, 4skers89 said:

Sadly, I thought the Moos rumors could be true at the time they came out.  Few people know or have spent enough time with public figures like Moos to definitely know the rumors were false.  Whoever started the rumors, what was their objective?  If it was a desperate attempt to save their own job, wouldn’t they figure that the only way to do that would be if Moos was fired?  They should have figured that people that know Moos and could fire him would also know the rumors were false.  In that case, were they just being vindictive?  Given the timing, I’m leaning toward a theory that someone thought retaining Miles was the best thing for the b-ball program or was in their own best interest.  By creating controversy about the AD he would be too busy defending himself to fire Miles and hire a new coach which seems like a more achievable objective.  Was that Broehm?  We tend to lop off the head of the AD that hired a fball coach that needs replaced. I don’t recall hearing about administrators overseeing a failing program being fired.  There are probably reasons why Broehm would be motivated to have Miles retained. I think more sleuthing is needed to declare Broehm the culprit.  Knowing whether this was actually a promotion or demotion might indicate something. I’m not going to subscribe to OWH to look for clues though.

Yeah, I didn’t mean to imply that Broehm was definitely the source of the rumors. Only that it stands to reason, if a new AD is shaking things up, that there is probably a small handful who may not be happy with someone moving their cheese. The one thing I do know is that the Moos rumors haven’t seem to fit with anything that we know is happening. He’s making homerun hires and seemingly has strong support all the way to the top. It just makes too much sense that the whole source is likely 1 or 2 disgruntled people within the AD and possibly one uptight tea-totaling booster. I’ve never believed the Moos rumors had any legs founded in reality.

4 hours ago, JJ Husker said:

Yeah, I didn’t mean to imply that Broehm was definitely the source of the rumors. Only that it stands to reason, if a new AD is shaking things up, that there is probably a small handful who may not be happy with someone moving their cheese. The one thing I do know is that the Moos rumors haven’t seem to fit with anything that we know is happening. He’s making homerun hires and seemingly has strong support all the way to the top. It just makes too much sense that the whole source is likely 1 or 2 disgruntled people within the AD and possibly one uptight tea-totaling booster. I’ve never believed the Moos rumors had any legs founded in reality.

Yeah, wouldn't necessarily pin it on Boehm himself but it also wouldn't be surprising if it was someone with a lesser role in the athletic department that knew this was in the works and was mad about it or something like that.