Husker Coaching Hires: “The Pick Of The Litter”

3 hours ago, BigRedBuster said:

You would not have wanted the same success that Texas had with him as coach?

3 hours ago, Cdog923 said:

There is no guarantee that, without the Texas recruiting pipelines, that Brown would have had the same success here. However, I do think he's a better coach than a lot of people give him credit for. 

This very much. I cant really think of anywhere easier to coach. He is obviously a good coach but not good enough for me to want that politician here. I never saw his teams look even close to something you would call well coached and the few people I knew around that program talked about how lazy the practices were. He also left that team/program in such a big mess that it took a long time to get them back to even decent. 

I’m gonna try to think of erstwhile careers.

1997 - Well, if we weren’t gonna hire Solich, that probably means TO doesn’t retire. So that’s a no.

2003 - Bill Callahan, on paper, would have been a good hire, somewhere else. He definitely didn’t fit with the culture though. At all.

2007 - As far as Nebraska goes, Pelini was the best hire.

2013 - I’ll admit, I was excited about the Mike Riley hire. I would have still said he wasn’t the best hire. Scott Frost seems logical today, but he hadn’t been a head coach. We had just been through that with Pelini, who I’d say his greatest downfall was his inability to delegate.

Knowing Gary Andersen was available, he would have been what seemed like a better hire. Jim McElwain would have been a solid hire, at the time.

2017 - Yes.

• 2 weeks later...

Here is my take on Pelini getting hired(take it or leave it)..............Coach Osborne was the new AD and he panicked when Callahan got fired because he knew Husker fans would not put up with the whole process Pederson/Callahan deal over again.  He hired Pelini because he knew Pelini would take the job period!!!!  I'm not sure if anyone else was even seriously considered.  Tom thought that the sooner he hired "A" coach it would quiet down the fanbase.  I keep seeing people post Pelini had Nebraska ties,  he was defensive coorindinator for 1 season and had a LB that yr named Demarrio Williams that made him look like a defensive genius.  Bo had no ties to Nebraska except for that one season,  he was LB coach at Green Bay before that.  I'll say it...... BO and his ego tarnished Nebraska's reputation..................Ironic Tom Osborne hired him.

• Thanks 1
35 minutes ago, April Wine said:

Here is my take on Pelini getting hired(take it or leave it)..............Coach Osborne was the new AD and he panicked when Callahan got fired because he knew Husker fans would not put up with the whole process Pederson/Callahan deal over again.  He hired Pelini because he knew Pelini would take the job period!!!!  I'm not sure if anyone else was even seriously considered.  Tom thought that the sooner he hired "A" coach it would quiet down the fanbase.  I keep seeing people post Pelini had Nebraska ties,  he was defensive coorindinator for 1 season and had a LB that yr named Demarrio Williams that made him look like a defensive genius.  Bo had no ties to Nebraska except for that one season,  he was LB coach at Green Bay before that.  I'll say it...... BO and his ego tarnished Nebraska's reputation..................Ironic Tom Osborne hired him.

Osborne is the one who fired Callahan.

I don't think he was too "panicked" about that......

• Plus1 2

1 hour ago, April Wine said:

You missed the point...........He didn't drag it out...I can't name one other coach that was even speculated or interviewed besides Pelini.......hired someone quick who he thought the fanbase would get behind!

Gill was also considered, and there were rumors at the time that Grobe was also being discussed. 

11 hours ago, April Wine said:

My use of Nebraska ties in in reference to that 1 year.  And his one game as interim head coach where the fans were chanting "We want Bo!"  I understand he wasn't born and raised here, but it is hard to write off that single year as two ships passing the night...

13 hours ago, April Wine said:

Who fired Callahan?

14 hours ago, April Wine said:

I can't name one other coach that was even speculated or interviewed besides Pelini

Have you ever heard of a guy by the name of Turner Gill, by any chance? Pretty obscure name to Husker fans, I know.

On 4/9/2019 at 1:11 PM, Toe said:

@TGHusker If we'd ended up with Paul Johnson, I think the biggest problem would've been terrible recruiting. Half of his recruiting classes didn't even crack the top 50, despite being at a school in great recruiting territory. Can you imagine what we would've ended up with if he'd tried recruiting to Nebraska?

Actually I think he would have found a lot of good local players close to run his offense.  Lots of Nebraska kids fit what he was looking for in offensive linemen.  Defense is where he would have had trouble recruiting.  Paul Johnson would have put a good solid product on the field.  He would have just never won at the level consistently that Nebraska fans at the time would have tolerated.  You would have seen a lot of 8-4 from him.  Maybe a 10-2 every few years and even a 7-5 or 6-6 mixed into it.