Husker Coaching Hires: “The Pick Of The Litter”

54 minutes ago, OH HSKR FAN said:

Riley to me was an interim hire nothing more nothing less.    The university felt the same way.   I feel bad for Mike as he was a pawn.  He got caught in the middle of a restructuring at the administrative level. 

Eh ... that implies there was forethought involved.  I don't buy it.

Pearlman wanted Pelini out.  He found the guy to do it in Eichorst.  They didn't much bother with what to do after that.

Eichorst reached out to a guy he was pretty familiar with.  Had Bielema on the hook but then he backed out.  Eichorst then went for another Wisconsin guy and tried Chryst but got turned down.  Chryst told him to look into Riley.  And the rest (unfortunately) is history.

• Plus1 2
  • Fire 1

6 hours ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

It's hard to say. We don't know if the coaches assumed to be "available" seriously considered the Nebraska job, or if backchannel communications had weeded out a lot of names that the fans were throwing around. You don't want to go too public and get turned down, like Nebraska did lobbying hard for Houston Nutt in 2004. Callahan was a face-saving pick, but we didn't exactly miss the boat by whiffing on Houston Nutt. 

Supposedly Eichorst approached Brett Beilema, maybe a couple others, before going after Mike Riley. It's likely lot of guys we wanted in 2014 weren't giving Nebraska serious consideration.  

Bo Pelini felt right in 2007. I don't remember that much fretting that he wasn't a college HC. He'd just led the LSU defense to the national championship. Don't remember much controversy over his choice at all, or any other coach seriously in the running. Even Turner Gill fans -- myself included -- thought Bo was the safer pick.

I no longer remember a preferred back up choice to Scott Frost. It was all or nothing around here. 

Isn’t Gary Patterson on record saying he went to dinner to discuss the job in 07 with Tom, but felt Tom was leaning towards Bo so he didn’t pursue it further. Or am I high?

what I’m getting at is if he went to dinner with Tom he was obviously interested to some extent.

• Plus1 1

45 minutes ago, Head Coach Scott Frost said:

As far as Mike Riley goes, looking back I don't have that many problems with him.  He delivered exactly what his resume promised. SE didn't understand the culture and didn't have the connections or the effort to try to find the right person for the job.  If you bring a stray dog into your house and it craps everywhere, it's not the dog's fault.  We needed an athletic director with the vision and respect for the fan base to find the right guy.

He got rid of Bo Pelini.   That was good enough. 

27 minutes ago, Mavric said:

Eh ... that implies there was forethought involved.  I don't buy it.

Pearlman wanted Pelini out.  He found the guy to do it in Eichorst.  They didn't much bother with what to do after that.

Eichorst reached out to a guy he was pretty familiar with.  Had Bielema on the hook but then he backed out.  Eichorst then went for another Wisconsin guy and tried Chryst but got turned down.  Chryst told him to look into Riley.  And the rest (unfortunately) is history.

Either one of those hires would likely have been “it” for me as a fan.  Especially Bert.  Thank GOD we dodged that bullet.  I’d say it all turned out ok in the end, after some surface wounds were sustained.

22 hours ago, OH HSKR FAN said:

Riley to me was an interim hire nothing more nothing less.    The university felt the same way.   I feel bad for Mike as he was a pawn.  He got caught in the middle of a restructuring at the administrative level. 

That "pawn" got a healthy buyout after a major job upgrade of which he was extremely unqualified for.

• Plus1 1
23 hours ago, Mavric said:

Eichorst reached out to a guy he was pretty familiar with.  Had Bielema on the hook but then he backed out.  Eichorst then went for another Wisconsin guy and tried Chryst but got turned down.  Chryst told him to look into Riley.

Eichorst was already a Riley fanboy long before he came to Nebraska. It started back when Eichorst was an assistant AD at South Carolina and they were looking for a coach (the search that ultimately led to them hiring Spurrier - Riley was also a candidate for that).

• 1 month later...

Solich and Pelini have been mediocre or slightly better HCs after their stints in Lincoln in smaller schools.   This to me is the best indicator of why they were NOT the 'best' hires for NU and never could be.  Nebraska is one of the top ten football programs of all time across all levels of college ball.   There is no reason we should be hiring head coaches who have little or no previous heac coaching experience at a division one level.   Frank had plenty of assistant coaching experience and decades of time watching and working with many of the better coaches in football (Devaney, Osborne, McBride, and dozens more).    He was literally handed the keys to the then best program loaded to hilt with the best talent etc.   Within 5 years, Frank's lack of recruiting was readily apparent to all who wanted to see.   I would argue that there were several assistants on Tom's 97 staff who were far better choices than Frank.

As for Pelini, he was intriguing but his lack of Nebraska 'ties' turned out to be his major shortcoming and, along with his temper tantrums, became his undoing.    Bo was a good defensive mind certainly, although he seemed far too focused on pass defense instead of stopping the run first.   In the big ten, particularly, you have to be able to stop the run or you're in trouble.  After a couple years with some exceptional D linemen, it became problematic and eventually chronic.  The pressure got to Bo I think and he lashed out negatively - perhaps because he never really did have a Husker heart. 

Bo and Frank both end up in Ohio at lesser schools where they are enjoying themselves coaching average football teams in average leagues with average results.  Neither were ever seriously considered top national head coaching prospects in my view and it is really hard to argue their resumes were anywhere near that of  a fully qualified HC for Nebraska.   Riley and Callahan both had better resumes but Callahan is an NFL coach and a dam fine one - he is NOT a college level coach.   Riley may have been the best  coach for Nebraska of the three - had he been hired at the time Tom retired.   He would have been younger and capable of taking the reins of top program and continued it longer than Frank or Bo or Callahan, although he would ultimately have failed to sustain the program as well.  

For better or worse, we are where we are for a variety of reasons.   There is no one single person to blame for Husker football's downfall.   Hindsight is 20-20 of course.  I personally was "OK' with Frank's appointment although I was very apprehensive about his ability to maintain the program.  I didn't know much about Calllahan at the time he was hired and didn't care for his west coast style of offense and he was too offensive minded and therefore left the defense on the back burner too long.  By time Pelini came in, there was very little real Devaney/Osborne legacy remaing so Pelini was likely in abit over his head without the head coaching experience.   Bo is not a leader or administrator nor an executive.   He is a defensive assistant/coordinator - period.   He could have taken McBride's spot and Charlie would have been a better HC candidate although, once again, he may have lacked the requisite head coach experience.   Tom took over with Devaney at his side for a decade.  Frank took over and Tom left town.   Not fair to Frank either.  

How many championships have Pelini and Solich and Riley and Callahan won, combined (before, during and after) becoming NU's head coach?  I don't have to research the answere to know it is most likely far less than Osborne won as HC.   Arguably, therefore, NONE of them were the 'best' hire for NU.  

On 6/23/2019 at 5:58 AM, 84HuskerLaw said:

Solich and Pelini have been mediocre or slightly better HCs after their stints in Lincoln in smaller schools.   This to me is the best indicator of why they were NOT the 'best' hires for NU and never could be.  Nebraska is one of the top ten football programs of all time across all levels of college ball.   There is no reason we should be hiring head coaches who have little or no previous heac coaching experience at a division one level.   Frank had plenty of assistant coaching experience and decades of time watching and working with many of the better coaches in football (Devaney, Osborne, McBride, and dozens more).    He was literally handed the keys to the then best program loaded to hilt with the best talent etc.   Within 5 years, Frank's lack of recruiting was readily apparent to all who wanted to see.   I would argue that there were several assistants on Tom's 97 staff who were far better choices than Frank.

As for Pelini, he was intriguing but his lack of Nebraska 'ties' turned out to be his major shortcoming and, along with his temper tantrums, became his undoing.    Bo was a good defensive mind certainly, although he seemed far too focused on pass defense instead of stopping the run first.   In the big ten, particularly, you have to be able to stop the run or you're in trouble.  After a couple years with some exceptional D linemen, it became problematic and eventually chronic.  The pressure got to Bo I think and he lashed out negatively - perhaps because he never really did have a Husker heart. 

Bo and Frank both end up in Ohio at lesser schools where they are enjoying themselves coaching average football teams in average leagues with average results.  Neither were ever seriously considered top national head coaching prospects in my view and it is really hard to argue their resumes were anywhere near that of  a fully qualified HC for Nebraska.   Riley and Callahan both had better resumes but Callahan is an NFL coach and a dam fine one - he is NOT a college level coach.   Riley may have been the best  coach for Nebraska of the three - had he been hired at the time Tom retired.   He would have been younger and capable of taking the reins of top program and continued it longer than Frank or Bo or Callahan, although he would ultimately have failed to sustain the program as well.  

For better or worse, we are where we are for a variety of reasons.   There is no one single person to blame for Husker football's downfall.   Hindsight is 20-20 of course.  I personally was "OK' with Frank's appointment although I was very apprehensive about his ability to maintain the program.  I didn't know much about Calllahan at the time he was hired and didn't care for his west coast style of offense and he was too offensive minded and therefore left the defense on the back burner too long.  By time Pelini came in, there was very little real Devaney/Osborne legacy remaing so Pelini was likely in abit over his head without the head coaching experience.   Bo is not a leader or administrator nor an executive.   He is a defensive assistant/coordinator - period.   He could have taken McBride's spot and Charlie would have been a better HC candidate although, once again, he may have lacked the requisite head coach experience.   Tom took over with Devaney at his side for a decade.  Frank took over and Tom left town.   Not fair to Frank either.  

How many championships have Pelini and Solich and Riley and Callahan won, combined (before, during and after) becoming NU's head coach?  I don't have to research the answere to know it is most likely far less than Osborne won as HC.   Arguably, therefore, NONE of them were the 'best' hire for NU.  

Your post lost me at "84HuskerLaw"

• Plus1 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2
  • Fire 1

On 6/23/2019 at 7:58 AM, 84HuskerLaw said:

Frost has very little D1 head coaching experience, Osborne, Solich, and Pelini had none. Riley had a lot, although obviously it wasn't a lot of success. Even nationally, I don't think there's a strong correlation between previous head coaching experience and success at a top program. Saban is a great example of previous coaching experience, he was good at Michigan State then great at LSU and Bama. But Dabo at Clemson was a questionable hire at the time, didn't set the world on fire immediately.

For the last piece, anyone can tell you the hires were bad after the fact. Many said they were bad at the time. But asking about Pelini, Solich, and Callahan's championships is a little ridiculous since none of them were college head coaches before Nebraska, and they were starting from the same number as Osborne. We can all say now these were bad hires, but who would you have hired over Pelini? He was seen as a rising star, and had done everything except be a head coach.

• Plus1 1
On 4/9/2019 at 11:34 AM, Toe said:

Urban Meyer would've been a hell of a hire in 2003, when he was still at Utah.

I remember Meyer saying something like why would Nebraska fire a Solich with a 9 and 3 record. There were also rumors — I don’t know if they are true — that Meyer didn’t think the Nebraska job was an upgrade. It certainly was after the ‘97 season and winning national championships three out of four years. There would had been some big name coaches wanting that job. But TO stepped in and wanted Solich. We will never know if Solich was not fired if he would had brought Nebraska back as an elite team with his new coaching staff. Based on his failure to win a conference championship at Ohio, I think not. 

8 hours ago, Pedro G said:

I remember Meyer saying something like why would Nebraska fire a Solich with a 9 and 3 record. There were also rumors — I don’t know if they are true — that Meyer didn’t think the Nebraska job was an upgrade. It certainly was after the ‘97 season and winning national championships three out of four years. There would had been some big name coaches wanting that job. But TO stepped in and wanted Solich. We will never know if Solich was not fired if he would had brought Nebraska back as an elite team with his new coaching staff. Based on his failure to win a conference championship at Ohio, I think not. 

Word 'round the campfire has always been that Mack Brown and Bob Stoops were both on Byrne's shortlist.