Andre Hunt’s Progress

We have been hearing a lot about him of late. I know there is still fall camp and things can change, but he is apparently looking really good this spring and he has to like his situation right now as the replacement for Morgan. But of course it’s still spring. 

• Plus1 1

Whats so funny? One thing I have noticed is how difficult it is for freshman to come in and play at a fast pace. Now that Hunt knows where he is going on every play he is looking really good. He does seem to drop more balls than I would like, but that should get better with experience. Hunt, Woodyard and Williams will look like different receivers this year.

• Plus1 1
44 minutes ago, JoeSakic2019 said:

Whats so funny? One thing I have noticed is how difficult it is for freshman to come in and play at a fast pace. Now that Hunt knows where he is going on every play he is looking really good. He does seem to drop more balls than I would like, but that should get better with experience. Hunt, Woodyard and Williams will look like different receivers this year.

Please let this be true.  I’ve been on the war path about the lack of additional receivers emerging last season.  I will be the first to admit I was wrong if what you’re saying materializes.

1 hour ago, Mavric said:

Hunt was definitely getting praise from Walters the other day.  Seems like he's right there for a starting spot as of now.

And it has been consistent all spring. No doubt he’s a front runner.

4 hours ago, JoeSakic2019 said:

It just seems to take the wr a bit longer....Jamie Nance will be this years disappointment. But next year he will get it. It takes time.

Not starting as a true frosh should never be seen as a disappointment. But, yes, receiver is quite a bit harder to learn than running back. We ask an awful lot of our receivers, too.

Guys with speed and hands in high school run “routes” and the ball is thrown up.  They go get it.  

In college coverages are better and guys covering them  are step for step. It’s harder. 

Learning to jab and step in a route (without losing speed), twist the DB’s hips to gain leverage within the route, not give away the ball with your eyes, being in a spot where the QB expects you to be, reach for the ball (but not too early), make the catch, get off the line clean, keep your feet in bounds on sideline throws, catching and making a guy miss.. it’s way way way different in college.  Let alone learning how to block, be a decoy, cut block, go in motion, fake run and pass, knowing yardage to sticks...etc etc  when I went to college ball (as a defender) I was amazed at the level of skill it took to catch a pass. It’s no joke. 

It takes time. The best of the best make it seem easy so we expect most to do it.  These guys are just now learning how at the level Frost expects. I foresee great leaps by this unit because of time and coaching. 

• Plus1 2

14 hours ago, I am I said:

Guys with speed and hands in high school run “routes” and the ball is thrown up.  They go get it.  

In college coverages are better and guys covering them  are step for step. It’s harder. 

Learning to jab and step in a route (without losing speed), twist the DB’s hips to gain leverage within the route, not give away the ball with your eyes, being in a spot where the QB expects you to be, reach for the ball (but not too early), make the catch, get off the line clean, keep your feet in bounds on sideline throws, catching and making a guy miss.. it’s way way way different in college.  Let alone learning how to block, be a decoy, cut block, go in motion, fake run and pass, knowing yardage to sticks...etc etc  when I went to college ball (as a defender) I was amazed at the level of skill it took to catch a pass. It’s no joke. 

It takes time. The best of the best make it seem easy so we expect most to do it.  These guys are just now learning how at the level Frost expects. I foresee great leaps by this unit because of time and coaching. 

Great post! Since Nance is already here, perhaps he will have an advantage over Chase and Houston who both perhaps will  redshirt. Thus Nance could gets some playing time depending on how it all plays out — maybe behind Hunt and Woodyard. If this would happen, McQuity perhaps would be in the transfer portal. All I hear is McQuity has to get more consistent.