2019 Masters

Mavric

Beginning Thursday morning, every shot of every player all week can be seen on the Masters app or Masters.com. That’s right, you can watch every shot of every player at a golf tournament for the first time ever. Well, virtually every shot. If a player finds a particularly unusual spot on the course (Think: Bryson DeChambeau by the bathrooms on No. 18 in 2016), the cameras might not pick it up. But the goal is for every shot to be seen.

Link

• Plus1 1

This is pretty cool:

The origin story of Nantz’s iconic sign-on to every broadcast is one that is sure to make you smile. It all began at the 2002 PGA Championship at Hazeltine National Golf Club in Minnesota.

“I said it on Saturday’s third round,” Nantz said on The Dan Patrick Show. “My father was deep in the throes of his battle that he would lose in 2008 to Alzheimer’s. The last thing I had said earlier in the week when I went to see him in Houston was ‘I’m gonna say a little cryptic message to you on the air this weekend, and it’s, “Hello friends.”‘ My dad had nothing but friends in his life. And I said it that Saturday when we came on the air.”

Nantz thought it would be a one-time thing. But after the round, a friend called Nantz and told him that the sign-on “sounds like you.” He encouraged Nantz to continue using it for every broadcast going forward.

And Nantz did just that.

“So I did it on Sunday, and I have done it every show since,” Nantz said. “I love it because for that little moment I connect with my dad and I feel like I’m talking to him. It’s a calming effect every time I come on the air.”

Link

1 hour ago, Mavric said:

11 years drought. 

Anyway I noticed absolutely no cellphones in gallery people.  Restricted?

Years ago, I passed thru Master Golf Course in my business trip.  Before this trip, I thought outside Augusta city limit.  Not true .... actually middle of Augusta city.  Protection view ... thick junkie trees for the entire parameter.  And very hilly than I thought.  Outside GC streets was mostly fast foods, gas stops, motels (no hotels), convenience/grocery stores and small retail businesses like Autozone and Lowe's.  Residential houses, plain Jane homes and a couple of regular apartments.  No mansions and fancy townhouses.  Pretty clean but my eye sore, lots of ugly power cable poles everywhere

2 minutes ago, Hooked on Huskers said:

11 years drought. 

2 minutes ago, Hooked on Huskers said:

Anyway I noticed absolutely no cellphones in galley people.  Restricted?

Yes, no phones ever.  Cameras are allowed on practice days but no during competition.

1 hour ago, Mavric said:

Yes, no phones ever.  Cameras are allowed on practice days but no during competition.

2008 major PGA winner.

Hmmm ...... Memorial Stadium will be Master GC path .... no phones/texting ever.  Theater too.  My hero is Curtis Reeves ;)

Oulson sat one row in front of Reeves and his wife Vivian. Oulson was shot and killed by Reeves during an argument sparked by Oulson texting his child’s babysitter during movie previews. Reeves, a retired Tampa, Florida police captain and former SWAT leader, is claiming stand your ground immunity.

Interesting comparison between Tiger's approach shots in 1997 compared to this year.  Illustrates how much longer they've made the course in their "Tiger-proofing" effort.

No. 1

1997 (400 yds): Pitching wedge

2019 (445 yds): 8-iron

The issue for Woods has been finding this fairway, no matter how long it is. No problem on Sunday; he striped it.

No. 2

1997 (555 yds): 8-iron

2019 (575 yds): 4-iron

That’s an 8-iron for Woods’ second shot in 1997. This year’s 4-iron came for his third, after a pitch-out.

No. 3

1997 (360 yds): 15-yard pitch

2019 (350 yds): Sand wedge

This year’s veteran version laid back off the tee — and made birdie. ’97 Tiger hit it up by the green but settled for par. Go figure.

No. 4

1997 (205 yds): 6-iron

2019 (240 yds): 4-iron

This hole’s gotten longer.

No. 5

1997 (435 yds): Pitching wedge

2019 (495 yds): 4-iron

This hole’s gotten much longer. That’s no Erin Hills 495; this is the real deal.

No. 6

1997 (180 yds): 9-iron

2019 (180 yds): 8-iron

Finally, a hole that hasn’t changed — but a club that has.

No. 7

1997 (360 yds): Pitching wedge

2019 (450 yds): 8-iron

Talk about a contrast. Back in the day, pros with short irons could eat up No. 7, just like the women in the ANWA did this year. Now it’s a tougher driving hole and a significantly tougher test with a mid-iron in hand.

No. 8

1997 (535 yds): 2-iron

2019 (570 yds): 5-wood

In fairness to Woods, he nearly hit iron in this year before switching to 5-wood, which he promptly pounded some 30 yards over the green. Nice up-and-down, though.

No. 9

1997 (435 yds): Pitching wedge

2019 (460 yds): 8-iron

“I remember Raymond [Floyd] telling me just on 9, just hit it as far right as you possibly can,” Woods said before the Masters this year. “Well, you can’t do that anymore, there’s a forest down the right.”

As for his approach, maybe he should have hit 9-iron on Sunday instead of tugging 8 to the back edge. Then again, that would have deprived us of the spectacular lag putt that followed.

No. 10

1997 (485 yds): 8-iron

2019 (495 yds): Punch-out

Take note of that ’97 8-iron: It was the only club longer than a pitching wedge that Woods hit into a par-4 on Sunday.

Take note of that 8-iron: It was the only non-wedge that Woods hit into a par-4.

No. 11

1997 (455 yds): Pitching wedge

2019 (505 yds): 7-iron

I defy you to stand on that new back tee at No. 11 and feel anything but fear. Woods’ take: “On 11 you used to try to hit the ball up against the gallery. Well, now there is literally a forest that is there. The fairway used to be 80 yards wide, that’s no longer the case.”

No. 12

1997 (155 yds): Pitching wedge

2019 (155 yds): 9-iron

They didn’t need to change this hole; it’s nearly perfect. Note that Francesco Molinari hit 8-iron right before Woods and splashed it in the front water; Woods hit 9 anyway.

No. 13

1997 (485 yds): 8-iron

2019 (510 yds): 8-iron

Finally, new Tiger catches up with that 8-iron! Both led to birdie, too. Only time and technology will tell what this hole becomes.

No. 14

1997 (405 yds): Pitching wedge

2019 (440 yds): 9-iron

By my count, Woods was 44th in driving distance at this year’s Masters. In 1997, he led the field by some 25 yards. This was a different brand of victory, to be sure.

Tiger Woods

No. 15

1997 (500 yds): Pitching wedge

2019 (530 yds): 5-iron

Yes, that’s pitching wedge into a par-5. That’s the sort of thing Tiger Woods used to do all the time. But this year’s 5-iron from 227 was pretty special all the same.

No. 16

1997 (170 yds): 9-iron

2019 (170 yds): 8-iron

Woods asked LaCava if he should hit a cut 7-iron at No. 16. LaCava knew he shouldn’t. Eight was the right club, he said. He was right.

No. 17

1997 (400 yds): Sand wedge

2019 (440 yds): 8-iron

Probably still the most forgotten hole at Augusta given where it sits on the back nine. Goes without saying it’d be easier to have sand wedge left in.

No. 18

1997 (405 yds): Sand wedge

2019 (465 yds): 7-iron

Sand wedge into 18. Sand wedge into 18. Sand wedge into 18. No wonder this guy lapped the field.

Golf.com

• Plus1 1
3 hours ago, Mavric said:

Interesting comparison between Tiger's approach shots in 1997 compared to this year.  Illustrates how much longer they've made the course in their "Tiger-proofing" effort.

Golf.com

Interesting on 18.  Are they saying a sand wedge on Sunday?  If so, that was actually his third shot after he clipped a branch on his second.

I have a hard time believing he normally used a sand wedge as a second shot on such a hard dog leg for his second shot.

35 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

Interesting on 18.  Are they saying a sand wedge on Sunday?  If so, that was actually his third shot after he clipped a branch on his second.

I have a hard time believing he normally used a sand wedge as a second shot on such a hard dog leg for his second shot.

The sand wedge was in 1997.  That seems pretty plausible on a 405 yard hole - probably had 110 yards or so after his drive.

17 minutes ago, Mavric said:

The sand wedge was in 1997.  That seems pretty plausible on a 405 yard hole - probably had 110 yards or so after his drive.

Oh...my bad.  Misread it.

I'm trying to figure out how they lengthened the hole. It would have to be by moving the T box back, which would mean the dog leg would be just as sharp, but shorter.  He had to have had one hell of a fade going on his drive to get around the corner to actually be closer to the hole.  I would think moving the T box back, the balls would be dropping roughly in the same spot, but the drive is longer.

But, I'm only going on what I see on TV.

1 hour ago, BigRedBuster said:

Oh...my bad.  Misread it.

I'm trying to figure out how they lengthened the hole. It would have to be by moving the T box back, which would mean the dog leg would be just as sharp, but shorter.  He had to have had one hell of a fade going on his drive to get around the corner to actually be closer to the hole.  I would think moving the T box back, the balls would be dropping roughly in the same spot, but the drive is longer.

But, I'm only going on what I see on TV.

Significant changes since opening

• Double bunker constructed left of fairway landing area, 1967
  • Tee moved back 55-60 yards and moved to the golfer's right five yards, 2002
  • Bunker complex adjusted, 2002

Link