2020 Congressional Elections

28 minutes ago, FrantzHardySwag said:

McSally and Ted Cruz painting Mark Kelly as backed by the Chinese govt. Yes combat pilot and commander for a NASA space shuttle, Mark Kelly. Apparently the playbook from these d******ds this year is to just say every democrat is a Chinese asset. 

I mean, there were Dems claiming Tulsi Gabbard was a Putin asset.

:dunno

• Plus1 1

• 2 weeks later...

GOP starting to see the handwriting on the wall.  Lindsey Graham calling on senior judges to 'retire' now so they can install replacements prior to the election.    GOP may  be heading toward one huge beat down come November. 

Now we got riots in the streets and greater racial unrest.    We need to get the stain out of the WH before we can heal as a nation.

https://thehill.com/homenews/senate/499957-graham-urges-senior-judges-to-step-aside-ahead-of-november-election

Senate Judiciary Committee Chairman Lindsey Graham (R-S.C.) is publicly urging judges in their mid- to late-60s to consider stepping aside ahead of Election Day to help ensure that their seats could be filled by Republicans.  Asked during an interview with radio host Hugh Hewitt if he knew if any judges would take "senior status," a semi-retirement status that opens up their seat, Graham said, "if you are, take it."

"This is an historic opportunity. We’ve put over 200 federal judges on the bench. I think one in five federal judges are Trump appointees. ...So if you’re a circuit judge in your mid-60s, late 60s, you can take senior status, now would be a good time to do that if you want to make sure the judiciary is right of center. This is a good time to do it," Graham added. 

https://edition.cnn.com/2020/05/28/politics/republicans-trump-senate-2020-trouble/index.html

More here. They are running scared I think

Quote from above post link - it wouldn't post correctly above

"Put it this way, I am very glad my boss isn't on the ballot this cycle," said one high-ranking GOP Senate aide.

Republican strategists are increasingly worried that Trump is headed for defeat in November and that he may drag other Republicans down with him.

Seven GOP operatives not directly associated with the President's reelection campaign told CNN that Trump's response to the pandemic and the subsequent economic fallout have significantly damaged his bid for a second term — and that the effects are starting to hurt Republicans more broadly. Some of these operatives asked not to be identified in order to speak more candidly.

Several say that public polls showing Trump trailing presumptive Democratic nominee Joe Biden mirror what they are finding in their own private polls, and that the trend is bleeding into key Senate races. The GOP already had a difficult task of defending 23 Senate seats in 2020. The job of protecting its slim 3-seat majority has only gotten harder as the pandemic has unfolded. States like Arizona and North Carolina, once thought to be home to winnable Senate races now appear in jeopardy.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

And then we have this, QAnon  supporter wins House district primary over 5x Trump endorsed incumbant.  She ran to the right of Trump's candidate. 

https://www.yahoo.com/news/qanon-gop-candidates-lauren-boebert-colorado-house-primary-160446428.html

A candidate who has expressed enthusiasm for QAnon knocked off a Trump-endorsed Republican incumbent in Colorado’s House primary Tuesday night, becoming the latest in a string of victorious GOP candidates who have embraced the conspiracy theory.

Bar owner and gun rights activist Lauren Boebert, 33, defeated five-time incumbent Rep. Scott Tipton in Colorado’s Third Congressional District, which encompasses the mostly rural western half of the state. Boebert ran to Tipton’s right, saying he wasn’t supportive enough of President Trump.  

Boebert is the owner of Shooters Grill in Rifle, Colo., a restaurant where the waitstaff carry holstered handguns. She has been outspoken in her opposition to social distancing lockdowns put in place to try to slow the spread of the coronavirus.

“Our freedom and our Constitutional rights are on the ballot this November and Republicans just sent a loud and clear message that they want me there to fight for them,” Boebert said in a statement issued from her campaign.

In May, Boebert appeared on a right-wing online show and was asked what she thought of the “Q movement.”

“I am familiar with that,” Boebert replied, smiling. “Everything I’ve heard of Q — I hope that this is real. Because it only means America is getting stronger and better and people are returning to conservative values.”

Senator Turtle may have a strong sense that the senate is going to go Dem.  Thus he is lecturing Dems that they shouldn't do away with the filibusterer rule.  What a slimy hypocrite.   The bold below is just mind blowing.  When did The Turtle ever put himself in the other fellow's shoes. And he is lecturing the Dems.  I hope he has nothing to worry about.  I hope he loses his senate seat. 

https://www.yahoo.com/news/mcconnell-warns-democrats-changing-senate-212045897.html

Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell has a message for Democrats: Don't end the legislative filibuster if you win control, or you'll regret it.

"The important thing for our Democratic friends to remember is you may not be in total control in the future. And any time you start fiddling around with the rules of the Senate you always need to put yourself in the other fellow's shoes and just imagine what might happen when the winds shift," the Kentucky Republican told reporters on Tuesday.

McConnell called on "responsible Democratic senators" not to be "stampeded by the hard left" and preserve "the one institution that guaranteed that America stayed in the middle of the road."

McConnell's remarks come as Democrats debate among themselves whether to preserve the super-majority requirement to pass legislation if they win control of the White House and Congress this fall and their agenda is obstructed. Numerous progressive activists, as well as former Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid, D-Nev., support its abolition.

Democrats who favor the change, including potential vice presidential contender Sen. Elizabeth Warren, D-Mass., say the 60-vote rule gives a minority of senators a permanent veto that makes progressive governance impossible, particularly given the structure of the Senate that gives small red states like Idaho and Wyoming the same representation as large blue states like California and New York.

"If Mitch McConnell is going to do to the next Democratic president what he did to President Obama, and that is try to block every single thing he does, then we are going to roll back the filibuster," Warren said during a presidential primary debate in late February.

But other Democrats like the power it affords them to shape and block legislation while in the minority, with some of them holding more centrist views, such as Sen. Kyrsten Sinema, D-Ariz., and Sen. Joe Manchin, D-W.V.