The Athletic: Nebraska’s Adrian Martinez plans to harness his swagger

LINCOLN, Neb. — If you watched on Black Friday last year as Nebraska fell 31-28 at Iowa on a last-second field goal and claim you don’t remember Adrian Martinez’s final touchdown run of 2018, well, I’m gonna question your interest level.

Martinez barreled into the end zone from 3 yards out. The quarterback then leaned back and unleashed some sort of incendiary quick-step in the direction

of Iowa defensive back Matt Hankins, whom Martinez had hit after crossing the goal line. He’s lucky he wasn’t flagged for taunting, which would have been a huge gaffe because the Huskers still needed a two-point conversion to tie the game with three minutes to play.

Back home in California, Martinez’s family, though surprised by the bravado, celebrated.

“It’s uncharacteristic of how I’ve played,” Martinez told The Athletic. “And it’s not something I thought of. It just kind of came out of me. It wasn’t intentional toward (Hankins). But you want to play with confidence, and I want to continue to have that swagger.”

https://theathletic.com/930120/2019/04/18/nebraska-adrian-martinez-swagger-california-upbringing/

Mitch as been doing some great work since he started with the Athletic. Totally worth a sub IMO.

• Plus1 1

3 minutes ago, Saunders said:

Mitch as been doing some great work since he started with the Athletic. Totally worth a sub IMO.

Agreed. His Q&A yesterday was pretty good too. Covered football mostly but had a few hardwood and hardball questions.

8 minutes ago, Saunders said:

Agreed. I signed up for The Athletic a couple of months ago and cancelled by 247Sports membership yesterday. Bruntz and Schaefer used to put out good content a couple of years ago, but these days it's far and few between that anything original gets written and most of their articles are just regurgitated from one article to another and anything they post as thread discussions these days come from Twitter. There is no value in subscribing to them anymore.

I would recommend Athletic to everyone. 

And Schaefer being the source of where the Moos rumor started really turned me off on a guy that has a growing ego problem. 

• Plus1 4

I'll bite and try the Athletic. I'm getting annoyed with 247. Just like you said, regurgitated info. Nothing really original, typos and errors galore, rehashed pieces from the week before - definitely been slipping lately. I do enjoy Christopherson's pieces, but not a fan of everything else. Hopefully the Athletic is better. 

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1
21 hours ago, whatup said:

Agreed. I signed up for The Athletic a couple of months ago and cancelled by 247Sports membership yesterday. Bruntz and Schaefer used to put out good content a couple of years ago, but these days it's far and few between that anything original gets written and most of their articles are just regurgitated from one article to another and anything they post as thread discussions these days come from Twitter. There is no value in subscribing to them anymore.

I would recommend Athletic to everyone. 

And Schaefer being the source of where the Moos rumor started really turned me off on a guy that has a growing ego problem. 

The great thing about the Athletic is it gives you sports stories from all over. Still growing the college football coverage but tons of other great coverage.

I question how long they can last because they have TOP NOTCH writers who arent cheap.

6 hours ago, kc_husker said:

Stanley Morgan

Yep. Here's the video. I'll start it at the play before the touchdown because this critical throw from the far hash with a rusher in his face is just so awesome:

Holy s***, man. Watching that two point play then after...amazing athletic ability by Martinez. Anybody doubting the raw talent and full potential that this kid has just doesn't get it.

• Plus1 3
5 hours ago, Minnesota_husker said:

I question how long they can last because they have TOP NOTCH writers who arent cheap.

Last I heard, they had a long ways to go. They're not overly profitable. I believe they also needed additional investments late last year ($40 million, IIRC).

Color me surprised by Adrian's reaction in that game too, though. His little saunter was totally out of character but I'm all for it.

1 hour ago, Undone said:

Yep. Here's the video. I'll start it at the play before the touchdown because this critical throw from the far hash with a rusher in his face is just so awesome:

Holy s***, man. Watching that two point play then after...amazing athletic ability by Martinez. Anybody doubting the raw talent and full potential that this kid has just doesn't get it.

I knew I'd seen that play from the spring game before. Martinez throwing on the run across his body to Warner in the endzone.

1 hour ago, Enhance said:

Last I heard, they had a long ways to go. They're not overly profitable. I believe they also needed additional investments late last year ($40 million, IIRC).

Color me surprised by Adrian's reaction in that game too, though. His little saunter was totally out of character but I'm all for it.

Maybe these writers are starting to realize that they need to take what they can get.  

On 4/18/2019 at 1:05 PM, Huskr25 said:

I'll bite and try the Athletic. I'm getting annoyed with 247. Just like you said, regurgitated info. Nothing really original, typos and errors galore, rehashed pieces from the week before - definitely been slipping lately. I do enjoy Christopherson's pieces, but not a fan of everything else. Hopefully the Athletic is better. 

I like The Athletic. The best part is if you're interested in other sports besides just college football. There's just as much coverage of college basketball, NFL, NBA, MLB and NHL.

• Plus1 1
On 4/19/2019 at 2:52 PM, Undone said:

Pretty nice catch by Warner as well.  Got a foot down and took a shot