Bill Barr Assembles Team to Investigate Counterintel Probe Into Trump Campaign

10 minutes ago, NM11046 said:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/dear-republicans-stop-using-my-father-ronald-reagan-to-justify-your-silence-on-trump/2019/04/30/ed61c6de-6b50-11e9-8f44-e8d8bb1df986_story.html?utm_term=.9304e04dbc5a

In case you're not a subscriber and have used up your access - it's a letter to the Republican party.  There's lots of good stuff, here's two comments:

Ok...that really is interesting to me because while he was president, I remember her rebelling against him. The manta at the time was that she hated him....when in fact, she loved him but disagreed. 

Now, it’s interesting to me, because I think I can relate to her in that I think I have a similar relationship with my father. I’m not like him and I don’t agree with him on many issues, but I find myself defending him. 

In this instance, I agree with her that this Republican Party (and Trump) couldn’t  sniff the jock of her father and they need to stop acting like they are anything like him....even though she disagreed with him on issues. 

On 4/26/2019 at 7:25 AM, MNBigRedNorth said:

Sorry to see that you got corrupted by listening to the MSM.  Ronald Reagan was my many person who woke me up about the MSM and also how the MSM treated Bill and Hillary Clinton during his campaign against old man Bush.  They let him off the hook on his woman problem!

From the moment Bill Clinton announced in 1991 and Gennifer Flowers came forward, the media was all over Bill Clinton's woman problem. Every single media outlet (and this pre-dated Fox News) for his entire Presidency and still going on, including coverage of Bill Clinton being asked if he had placed a cigar up his intern's vagina, an entire news cycle on a semen stained dress, and Saturday Night Live skits that made light of Clinton using State Troopers as cover for his affairs.

So please.   

• Plus1 4
2 hours ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

From the moment Bill Clinton announced in 1991 and Gennifer Flowers came forward, the media was all over Bill Clinton's woman problem. Every single media outlet (and this pre-dated Fox News) for his entire Presidency and still going on, including coverage of Bill Clinton being asked if he had placed a cigar up his intern's vagina, an entire news cycle on a semen stained dress, and Saturday Night Live skits that made light of Clinton using State Troopers as cover for his affairs.

So please.   

He probably won't be responding to this :lol:

• Plus1 2
2 hours ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

So please.   

goose is dead mav...you gotta let him go

• Plus1 1

9 hours ago, knapplc said:

One of the best scenes of the 80s from a cinematography viewpoint.

Funny, I just added Top Gun to my nextflix list as I wanted to watch it again.  You are right - great film and great scene 

but

:backtotopic

Carry on

On 4/26/2019 at 7:25 AM, MNBigRedNorth said:

Sorry to see that you got corrupted by listening to the MSM.  Ronald Reagan was my many person who woke me up about the MSM and also how the MSM treated Bill and Hillary Clinton during his campaign against old man Bush.  They let him off the hook on his woman problem!

Fun fact: "Old Man Bush" was well known around Washington for having an affair with the White House Chief of Protocol, but the media let it slide. 

It later came out that Bush Sr. got a bit handsy with women's asses:

https://www.vox.com/2018/12/1/17274466/eight-women-george-hw-bush-touching-inappropriately-metoo-legacy

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 2
On 4/26/2019 at 11:46 AM, TGHusker said:

Hold on there friend.  Ronald Reagan would never had treated the press like Trump has treated the press.  Yes, there was an adversarial relationship just like the press wants to create an adversarial relationship with most politicians but Reagan knew the value of and the place the media held in our democracy.  I will grant you that the press in general favors the Dem side of the ledger as polling shows that the press is more liberal politically as a group then what the general population is.  However, like BRB, I have woken out of my Rush, FoxNews coma to see that what we call the MSM is not all bad and that it should not be cut off.  All news outlets have biases - it is reflected most by what they don't cover. It is our job to understand those biases and keep the good and through out the bad.  But to isolate one self just to a few conservative new sources is to create a bias silo in which it is difficult to climb out of - esp when truth shatters that bias. 

I want to add to my post above Patti Davis' (Reagan's daughter) comments about current GOPers not standing up to Trump.  She too says that one cannot be a supporter of Reagan's ideas and be loyal to Trump.  Trump and Reagan are like oil and water - they don't mix.  Yet the GOPers want to carry the Reagan mantle and cloth themselves with Reagan's conservative robe.  Trump and The Turtle and the rest have so altered Republicanism that Reagan would not recognize it nor would he recognize their 'brand' of conservatism. 

A quote from below: My father knew we were fragile. He said: “Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn’t pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected and handed on for them to do the same.”

https://www.yahoo.com/huffpost/ronald-reagan-daughter-open-letter-republicans-donald-trump-095715451.html

Summary OpEd on yahoo

“If you are going to stand silent as America is dismantled and dismembered, as democracy is thrown onto the ash heap of yesterday, shame on you,” she wrote. “But don’t use my father’s name on the way down.”

Full Oped

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/dear-republicans-stop-using-my-father-ronald-reagan-to-justify-your-silence-on-trump/2019/04/30/ed61c6de-6b50-11e9-8f44-e8d8bb1df986_story.html?utm_term=.7ce9e5ddccd7&wpisrc=nl_most&wpmm=1

Dear Republican Party,

I have never been part of you, but you have been part of my family for decades. I was 10 years old when my father decided to stop being a Democrat and instead become a Republican. From that point on, you were a frequent guest at our dinner table — and an unwelcome one to me. I wanted to talk about my science project on the human heart, or the mean girls at school who teased me for being too tall and for wearing glasses. Instead, much of the conversation was about how the government was taking too much out of people’s paychecks for taxes and how it was up to the Republicans to keep government from getting too big.

You went from an annoying presence at the dinner table to a powerful tornado, lifting up my family and depositing us in the world of politics, which no one ever escapes. I know it’s not completely your fault. My father’s passion for America, his commitment to try to make a difference in the country and the world, and his gentle yet powerful command over crowds that gathered to hear him speak made his ascent to the presidency all but inevitable. He would have gotten there one way or another; it just happened to be as a Republican.

You have claimed his legacy, exalted him as an icon of conservatism and used the quotes of his that serve your purpose at any given moment. Yet at this moment in America’s history when the democracy to which my father pledged himself and the Constitution that he swore to uphold, and did faithfully uphold, are being degraded and chipped away at by a sneering, irreverent man who traffics in bullying and dishonesty, you stay silent.

You stay silent when President Trump speaks of immigrants as if they are trash, rips children from the arms of their parents and puts them in cages. Perhaps you’ve forgotten that my father said America was home “for all the pilgrims from all the lost places who are hurtling through the darkness.”

You stayed silent when this president fawned over Kim Jong Un and took Vladimir Putin’s word over America’s security experts. You stood mutely by when one of his spokesmen, Rudolph W. Giuliani, said there is nothing wrong with getting information from Russians. And now you do not act when Trump openly defies legitimate requests from Congress, showing his utter contempt for one of the branches of our government.

Most egregiously, you remained silent when Trump said there were “very fine people” among the neo-Nazis who marched through an American city with tiki torches, chanting, “Jews will not replace us.”

Those of us who are not Republicans still have a right to expect you to act in a principled, moral and, yes, even noble way. Our democracy is in trouble, and everyone who has been elected to office has an obligation to save it. Maybe you’re frightened of Trump — that idea has been floated. I don’t quite understand what’s frightening about an overgrown child who resorts to name-calling, but if that is the case, then my response is: You are grown men and women. Get over it.

My father called America “the shining city on a hill.” Trump sees America as another of his possessions that he can slap his name on. A president is not supposed to own America. He or she is supposed to serve the American people.

In their book “How Democracies Die,” Steven Levitsky and Daniel Ziblatt warned: “How do elected authoritarians shatter the democratic institutions that are supposed to constrain them? Some do it in one fell swoop. But more often the assault on democracy begins slowly.”

Trump has been wounding our democracy for the past two years. If he is reelected for another term, it’s almost a given that America will not survive — at least not as the country the Founding Fathers envisioned, and not as the idealistic experiment they built using a Constitution designed to protect democracy and withstand tyranny.

My father knew we were fragile. He said: “Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn’t pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected and handed on for them to do the same.”

So, to the Republican Party that holds tightly to my father’s legacy — if you are going to stand silent as America is dismantled and dismembered, as democracy is thrown onto the ash heap of yesterday, shame on you. But don’t use my father’s name on the way down.

• Plus1 2
7 hours ago, TGHusker said:

I want to add to my post above Patti Davis' (Reagan's daughter) comments about current GOPers not standing up to Trump.  She too says that one cannot be a supporter of Reagan's ideas and be loyal to Trump.  Trump and Reagan are like oil and water - they don't mix.  Yet the GOPers want to carry the Reagan mantle and cloth themselves with Reagan's conservative robe.  Trump and The Turtle and the rest have so altered Republicanism that Reagan would not recognize it nor would he recognize their 'brand' of conservatism. 

A quote from below: My father knew we were fragile. He said: “Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn’t pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected and handed on for them to do the same.”

https://www.yahoo.com/huffpost/ronald-reagan-daughter-open-letter-republicans-donald-trump-095715451.html

Summary OpEd on yahoo

Full Oped

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/dear-republicans-stop-using-my-father-ronald-reagan-to-justify-your-silence-on-trump/2019/04/30/ed61c6de-6b50-11e9-8f44-e8d8bb1df986_story.html?utm_term=.7ce9e5ddccd7&wpisrc=nl_most&wpmm=1

So......to make sure I follow on this....

You're using a life long critic of the Republican party who has always been a critic of the Republican party to criticize the direction of the Republican party?

• Plus1 1

35 minutes ago, NM11046 said:

She is a life long critic that is requesting that the current GOP party not say they are "the party of Reagan."  They no longer are.  

She didn't like the party then.  She doesn't like it now.

It's neither news, nor a request of influence.

On 5/3/2019 at 6:02 PM, TheSker said:

She didn't like the party then.  She doesn't like it now.

It's neither news, nor a request of influence.

He's right. And Ron Reagan Jr. is also a vocal critic of his father's party, and a very articulate spokesman for liberal causes.  They both loved their father; they never embraced his politics, but they would speak to his integrity. Reagan's oldest son, Michael, toed a more conservative line, but had a long history of personal problems. 

The Republican Party didn't care for the opinion of Ronald Reagan's kids even when he was President. 

There are, of course, plenty of current and former Republicans willing to admit the party has veered well past both the policy and decorum of the Ronald Reagan they deify at their convenience. 

• Plus1 4