Bill Barr Assembles Team to Investigate Counterintel Probe Into Trump Campaign

And Hitler said to Hermann Goring........                                                                           (Goring was Hitler's right hand man & enforcer and creator of the Gestapo)

https://apnews.com/9e926bfccb5947d5a5f8eb260cb0a7e6

President Donald Trump on Thursday granted Attorney General William Barr new powers to review and potentially release classified information related to the origins of the Russia investigation, a move aimed at accelerating Barr’s inquiry into whether U.S. officials improperly surveilled Trump’s 2016 campaign.

Trump directed the intelligence community to “quickly and fully cooperate” with Barr’s probe. The directive marked an escalation in Trump’s efforts to “investigate the investigators,” as he continues to try to undermine the findings of special counsel Robert Mueller’s probe amid mounting Democratic calls for impeachment proceedings.

Press secretary Sarah Sanders said in a statement that Trump is delegating to Barr the “full and complete authority” to declassify documents relating to the probe, which would ease his efforts to review the sensitive intelligence underpinnings of the investigation. Such an action could create fresh tensions within the FBI and other intelligence agencies, which have historically resisted such demands

• Thanks 1
24 minutes ago, TGHusker said:

And Hitler said to Hermann Goring........                                                                           (Goring was Hitler's right hand man & enforcer and creator of the Gestapo)

https://apnews.com/9e926bfccb5947d5a5f8eb260cb0a7e6

Doesn't the Senate have authority over the powers granted to cabinet members?

6 minutes ago, RedDenver said:

Doesn't the Senate have authority over the powers granted to cabinet members?

Good question. 

The Senate offers "advice and consent" to the President by a majority vote on the appointments of federal judges, ambassadors, and Cabinet positions. Treaties with other nations entered into by the President must be approved by a two-thirds vote by the Senate.

http://www.ushistory.org/gov/6a.asp

https://fas.org/sgp/crs/misc/R45442.pdf

Congress’s Authority to Influence and Control Executive Branch Agencies The Constitution neither establishes administrative agencies nor explicitly prescribes the manner by which they may be created.Even so,the Supreme Court has generally recognized that Congress has broad constitutional authority to establish and shape the federal bureaucracy. Congress may use its Article I lawmaking powers to create federal agencies and individual offices within those agencies, design agencies’ basic structures and operations, and prescribe, subject to certain constitutional limitations,how those holding agency offices are appointed and removed.Congress also may enumerate the powers, duties, and functions to be exercised by agencies, as well as directly counteract, through later legislation, certain agency actions implementing delegated authority.The most potent tools of congressional control over agencies, including those addressing the structuring, empowering, regulating, and funding of agencies, typically require enactment of legislation. Such legislation must comport with constitutional requirements related to bicameralism (i.e., it must be approved by both houses of Congress) and presentment (i.e., it must be presented to the President for signature). The constitutional process to enact effective legislation requires the support of the House, Senate, and the President,unless the support in both houses is sufficient to override the President’s veto. There also are many non-statutory tools (i.e., tools not requiring legislative enactment to exercise) that may be used by the House, Senate, congressional committees, or individual Members of Congress to influence and control agency action. In some cases, non-statutory measures, such as impeachment and removal, Senate advice and consent to appointments or the ratification of treaties, and committee issuance of subpoenas, can impose legal consequences. Others, however, such as House resolutions of inquiry, may not be used to bind agencies or agency officials and rely for their effectiveness on their ability to persuade or influence

• Thanks 2
17 minutes ago, ZRod said:

This could very quickly become a deadly game they're playing. If assests inside Russia are revealed you think that Putin is just going to ask them to leave nicely?

seems he is willing to expose assets and but them at risk in order to save his own skin.  This is political hackmanship, revenge at its worse. 

• Plus1 1

22 hours ago, ZRod said:

This could very quickly become a deadly game they're playing. If assests inside Russia are revealed you think that Putin is just going to ask them to leave nicely?

I don't see how the intelligence community including hopefully Haspel and Dan Coats go apes#!t on Barr and refuse his requests. They'd probably have to appeal to Trump about how dangerous it is to reveal sources publicly and if it didn't work I'd prefer they resign rather than complying.

Haspel reports directly to Coats and Coats as DNI directly to Trump. Barr has no actual authority over either of them other than this dumba#$ order from Trump.

57 minutes ago, Danny Bateman said:

I don't see how the intelligence community including hopefully Haspel and Dan Coats go apes#!t on Barr and refuse his requests. They'd probably have to appeal to Trump about how dangerous it is to reveal sources publicly and if it didn't work I'd prefer they resign rather than complying.

Haspel reports directly to Coats and Coats as DNI directly to Trump. Barr has no actual authority over either of them other than this dumba#$ order from Trump.

Intelligence is done to better advise POTUS, something forgotten by Obama holdovers.  the President decides what is and isn't classified and if the officials don't like it they can resign and take it to CNN.

• Plus1 1
59 minutes ago, Notre Dame Joe said:

Intelligence is done to better advise POTUS, something forgotten by Obama holdovers.  the President decides what is and isn't classified and if the officials don't like it they can resign and take it to CNN.

Yeah, no. That's now how any of this works...

• Plus1 4
  • Thanks 1
2 hours ago, Notre Dame Joe said:

I'm not going to line up and blindly pledge allegiance to an unstable moron who doesn't understand the implications of revealing sources, and they shouldn't either. But yeah, if he orders them to do something that is going to wreck our ability to gether intel and possibly get people killed, they should resign. I'm with you there.

• Plus1 1
19 hours ago, Notre Dame Joe said:

Intelligence is done to better serve America, something forgotten by both parties.

• Plus1 3