Bill Barr Assembles Team to Investigate Counterintel Probe Into Trump Campaign

8 hours ago, schriznoeder said:

This post is in multiple treads, so I'll post my same question here...

How are the Trumpers going to spin this one?

Ask and ye shall receive...

https://www.justice.gov/opa/pr/statement-attorney-general-william-p-barr-inspector-generals-report-review-four-fisa

Department of Justice
Office of Public Affairs

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Monday, December 9, 2019

Statement by Attorney General William P. Barr on the Inspector General's Report of the Review of Four FISA Applications and Other Aspects of the FBI’s Crossfire Hurricane Investigation

Attorney General William P. Barr issued the following statement:

"Nothing is more important than the credibility and integrity of the FBI and the Department of Justice.  That is why we must hold our investigators and prosecutors to the highest ethical and professional standards.  The Inspector General’s investigation has provided critical transparency and accountability, and his work is a credit to the Department of Justice.  I would like to thank the Inspector General and his team.

The Inspector General’s report now makes clear that the FBI launched an intrusive investigation of a U.S. presidential campaign on the thinnest of suspicions that, in my view, were insufficient to justify the steps taken.  It is also clear that, from its inception, the evidence produced by the investigation was consistently exculpatory.  Nevertheless, the investigation and surveillance was pushed forward for the duration of the campaign and deep into President Trump’s administration.  In the rush to obtain and maintain FISA surveillance of Trump campaign associates, FBI officials misled the FISA court, omitted critical exculpatory facts from their filings, and suppressed or ignored information negating the reliability of their principal source.  The Inspector General found the explanations given for these actions unsatisfactory.  While most of the misconduct identified by the Inspector General was committed in 2016 and 2017 by a small group of now-former FBI officials, the malfeasance and misfeasance detailed in the Inspector General’s report reflects a clear abuse of the FISA process.

FISA is an essential tool for the protection of the safety of the American people.  The Department of Justice and the FBI are committed to taking whatever steps are necessary to rectify the abuses that occurred and to ensure the integrity of the FISA process going forward.

No one is more dismayed about the handling of these FISA applications than Director Wray.  I have full confidence in Director Wray and his team at the FBI, as well as the thousands of dedicated line agents who work tirelessly to protect our country.  I thank the Director for the comprehensive set of proposed reforms he is announcing today, and I look forward to working with him to implement these and any other appropriate measures.

With respect to DOJ personnel discussed in the report, the Department will follow all appropriate processes and procedures, including as to any potential disciplinary action."

tenor.gif

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

Yep.....they’re all going to go down this path. 

Scalise sounds like someone who’s sure the bad guys are going to win. He just outright f#&%ing lies when the truth is there for everyone to see. We’re not going to be a democracy for long if a few Republicans don’t grow souls/balls/ovaries.

The rank dishonesty from top Republicans on display on this page of this thread alone should bother people a lot.

I get a chuckle out of people who say both sides are equally bad. The GOP struggles to accept a fact-based reality.

Give me the other side ten times out of ten. They may not be any great shakes, but facts and honesty should matter.

• Plus1 2