Trump, Narcissistic Personality Disorder, Amendment 25

Should Trump be removed based on Amendment 25 issues  

15 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Knapp posted a series of Trump tweets on the "Man you can Bait wt a Tweet" thread.   To me the tweets displays a man who is every bit a narcissist - but we knew that.   What is alarming is his tweets demanding the NY Times and specific news people to basically get on their knees and apologize.  This is despicable and dare I say DEPLORABLE coming from anyone sitting in the 'People's House"  & at the sacred oval office desk.   I believe his mental condition as exhibited in his tweets rise to the level of Amendment 25 action.  However, Pence and others have not seen fit to stand up to the guy and stand up for our country's best interest falsely believing that putting GOP interests before the interest of the country  will allow them all to stay in office. 

Regardless of party affiliation,  and for the good of the country I am hoping there will be a great arising of voters who will vote Trump out of office in 2020 as the GOP is too weak to remove the guy regardless of his mental condition, his corruption, and his general unfitness for the office.  As a conservative, I'm willing to withstand temporary loss by having a Dem in office until a clear thinking, true conservative or a center to  center right candidate  is elected in 2024.  My hope is the Dems don't swing the pendulum so far left - but that is a risk we have to consider vs having Trump elected for another 4 years. 

The corresponding poll will probably be one sided.  I just wanted to get everyone's take on this method of removing Trump from office. 

I am adding Knapp's reply below  as well as my reply into the original post for clarification:. 

56 minutes ago, knapplc said:

Diagnosis from a distance is pretty difficult. I wouldn't want to speculate on what malady Trump may or may not have. There are plenty of other reasons to declare him unfit for office without playing armchair doctor.

I agree with this 100% and knew it is all speculative from us arm chair doctors.  But I wanted to get everyone's thought on the subject of mental disorder and Amendment 25.  Normally one would think of a physical issue for Amendment 25 - like that of  Woodrow Wilson who should have been removed from office during the last 2 years approx of his 8 year term.  He was protected by his wife (who became the de-facto president) a physician and other insiders. 

Does this sound like Trump??:

https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/narcissistic-personality-disorder/symptoms-causes/syc-20366662

Narcissistic personality disorder — one of several types of personality disorders — is a mental condition in which people have an inflated sense of their own importance, a deep need for excessive attention and admiration, troubled relationships, and a lack of empathy for others. But behind this mask of extreme confidence lies a fragile self-esteem that's vulnerable to the slightest criticism.

A narcissistic personality disorder causes problems in many areas of life, such as relationships, work, school or financial affairs. People with narcissistic personality disorder may be generally unhappy and disappointed when they're not given the special favors or admiration they believe they deserve. They may find their relationships unfulfilling, and others may not enjoy being around them.

Treatment for narcissistic personality disorder centers around talk therapy (psychotherapy).

Symptoms

Signs and symptoms of narcissistic personality disorder and the severity of symptoms vary. People with the disorder can:

• Have an exaggerated sense of self-importance
  • Have a sense of entitlement and require constant, excessive admiration
  • Expect to be recognized as superior even without achievements that warrant it
  • Exaggerate achievements and talents
  • Be preoccupied with fantasies about success, power, brilliance, beauty or the perfect mate
  • Believe they are superior and can only associate with equally special people
  • Monopolize conversations and belittle or look down on people they perceive as inferior
  • Expect special favors and unquestioning compliance with their expectations
  • Take advantage of others to get what they want
  • Have an inability or unwillingness to recognize the needs and feelings of others
  • Be envious of others and believe others envy them
  • Behave in an arrogant or haughty manner, coming across as conceited, boastful and pretentious
  • Insist on having the best of everything — for instance, the best car or office

At the same time, people with narcissistic personality disorder have trouble handling anything they perceive as criticism, and they can:

• Become impatient or angry when they don't receive special treatment
  • Have significant interpersonal problems and easily feel slighted
  • React with rage or contempt and try to belittle the other person to make themselves appear superior
  • Have difficulty regulating emotions and behavior
  • Experience major problems dealing with stress and adapting to change
  • Feel depressed and moody because they fall short of perfection
  • Have secret feelings of insecurity, shame, vulnerability and humiliation

Exaggerate achievements and talents:  Me before making whoopie

Have secret feelings of insecurity, shame, vulnerability and humiliation

Feel depressed and moody because they fall short of perfection

-  Me after making whoopie -

Also, most of the things listed there are pretty much what we see anytime people start posting about their bench press, 40 time and HS accomplishments.  

• Haha 1
51 minutes ago, knapplc said:

Diagnosis from a distance is pretty difficult. I wouldn't want to speculate on what malady Trump may or may not have. There are plenty of other reasons to declare him unfit for office without playing armchair doctor.

I agree with this 100% and knew it is all speculative from us arm chair doctors.  But I wanted to get everyone's thought on the subject of mental disorder and Amendment 25.  Normally one would think of a physical issue for Amendment 25 - like that of  Woodrow Wilson who should have been removed from office during the last 2 years approx of his 8 year term.  He was protected by his wife (who became the de-facto president) a physician and other insiders.

I'm going to copy your post into my OP for clarification. 

He's obviously a narcissist, but that is not all that is wrong with him. Most leaders possess at least some traits of narcissism, and many will likely have enough of them to possibly be diagnosed with narcissistic personality disorder if they were actually evaluated for it. However, someone can still have this disorder, or any number of mental/personality disorders, and still be highly functional.

The narcissism alone is not enough to declare Trump unfit for the presidency. If Trump had a professional psych eval completed, I am 100% certain that narcissistic personality disorder would be found. There would probably be other stuff as well. Trump also exhibits some symptoms of dementia. The pathological lying is symptomatic of several other possible disorders and/or psychopathy that I (and most of you, I assume) would not be professionally qualified to diagnose. Yet, we see these behaviors on public display from the president every day. In addition to medically observable behaviors, his insistence upon being a complete a$$h@!e as often as possible tells us even more. 

We can assume, probably correctly, that he is mentally unfit for the office. Even more obvious, we can see quite clearly that he is professionally unfit for the office and an embarrassment to the country. The bigger problem is the number of people in this country who see what he does and think that it is okay. The willingness and loyalty for such a large portion of the country to support this kind of personality is stunning and disgusting.

Which disorder should we diagnose the typical Trump voter with? And how can we provide treatment for those people?

• Plus1 2

1 hour ago, Ulty said:

The bigger problem is the number of people in this country who see what he does and think that it is okay. The willingness and loyalty for such a large portion of the country to support this kind of personality is stunning and disgusting.

Which disorder should we diagnose the typical Trump voter with? And how can we provide treatment for those people?

Yes, indeed this is the bigger problem.     Good post overall. 

1 hour ago, Ulty said:

He's obviously a narcissist, but that is not all that is wrong with him. Most leaders possess at least some traits of narcissism, and many will likely have enough of them to possibly be diagnosed with narcissistic personality disorder if they were actually evaluated for it. However, someone can still have this disorder, or any number of mental/personality disorders, and still be highly functional.

The narcissism alone is not enough to declare Trump unfit for the presidency. If Trump had a professional psych eval completed, I am 100% certain that narcissistic personality disorder would be found. There would probably be other stuff as well. Trump also exhibits some symptoms of dementia. The pathological lying is symptomatic of several other possible disorders and/or psychopathy that I (and most of you, I assume) would not be professionally qualified to diagnose. Yet, we see these behaviors on public display from the president every day. In addition to medically observable behaviors, his insistence upon being a complete a$$h@!e as often as possible tells us even more. 

We can assume, probably correctly, that he is mentally unfit for the office. Even more obvious, we can see quite clearly that he is professionally unfit for the office and an embarrassment to the country. The bigger problem is the number of people in this country who see what he does and think that it is okay. The willingness and loyalty for such a large portion of the country to support this kind of personality is stunning and disgusting.

Yes. His supporters and enablers are the bigger problem. 

• Plus1 2

Add paranoia to the list of Trump's issues  :madash

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/8929990/donald-trump-accuses-britain-of-spying-on-him-as-he-ramps-up-tensions-ahead-of-showdown-uk-visit/

he US President made the sensational claim in a tweet today, quoting the right-wing conspiracy-peddling website One America News Network.

Reuters
Donald Trump has rehashed discredited allegations he was spied on by Britain
  1. Yes. 
  2. Not sure.  Simply put, NPD does not equal mentally unstable, and unqualified to stay in a leadership position.  But his actions that very well may be driven by the personality disorder absolutely do.
  3. Yes.

I think that he has committed crimes and treason and has shown instability that makes him mentally unfit for office.  I think there are probably other highly functioning folks with this diagnosis who would not be as big a danger to the US.  In addition to all the qualifications for diagnosis that he meets 110% (and I got beat up when I brought this label up during the primaries and 2016 election) he shows signs of dementia or other deterioation that is concerning.  

Constant lies to boost his own image.   So what national security issues is he lying about in order to protect himself. 

https://www.bloomberg.com/opinion/articles/2019-04-30/donald-trump-s-dishonesty-isn-t-normal

The Washington Post’s fact-checking operation has now counted 10,000 “false or misleading claims” by Donald Trump during his presidency.

It’s hard to convey how big a deal this is. To begin with: It’s real. Anyone can go through the Post’s data and find plenty to argue with maybe one statement isn’t really false, another was just an exaggeration and some other one was nit-picky. But even if the fact-checkers are wrong an implausible three out of four times, that’s still 2,500 false or misleading claims by the president in two-plus years.

That’s simply not normal. We don’t have equivalent historical data, but I’m confident that even Richard Nixon, who told more than a few important whoppers, didn’t come close to Trump’s level of habitual dishonesty. Barack Obama, George W. Bush? As I’ve said many times, most politicians actually care a lot about establishing a reputation for reliability. Oh, they’ll spin. They’ll present the best-looking version of events that can still count as the truth. But they will very rarely say something that flat-out isn’t so. And if they’re called on it, they’ll usually retreat to a more justifiable position. Trump, instead, just keeps going.

Does he get away with it? In the sense that he’s still president, I suppose so. But his professional reputation is in tatters, which reduces his influence, worsens his relationship with Congress, hinders his ability to negotiate and impedes his broader agenda. It’s hard to say definitively, but Trump’s lack of honesty also likely contributes to his unusual unpopularity. Overall, in fact, Trump has been the least popular president of the polling era, despite objective conditions — such as a strong economy and relative peace overseas — that would usually boost his numbers. Whatever the cause of Trump’s persistently low ratings, we can say with some confidence that he’s not fooling anyone, except (perhaps) the most partisan Republicans.

Meanwhile, his conspiracy-mongering and false statements about political opponents encourage the very worst kind of partisanship among both party actors and ordinary voters. Again, negative campaigning is normal. But it usually has some relationship with reality. The whole thing is highly corrosive to democratic government. Healthy representation depends on politicians communicating with constituents about what they’ve promised and what they’ve done. Trump’s insistence on making stuff up makes that impossible.

• Thanks 1