Breon Dixon

Just now, Mavric said:

The timing makes perfect sense.  He made it through spring ball.  If he doesn't like his situation, he'll leave and start over somewhere else.

If he does not like it here, he will leave - yes, but he is saying that he was cut from the team.  This is what I think is odd.  I could care less either way as he has not proved himself here.  I'm just a little skeptical.

Just now, SouthLincoln Husker said:

If he does not like it here, he will leave - yes, but he is saying that he was cut from the team.  This is what I think is odd.  I could care less either way as he has not proved himself here.  I'm just a little skeptical.

I mean .... I'm pretty sure he wasn't actually cut.  He may have been told that he should probably look else where if he wants to play.

But what does that have to do with the timing of it?  This is exactly when those types of conversations take place.

• Plus1 1
3 hours ago, Mavric said:

I mean .... I'm pretty sure he wasn't actually cut.  He may have been told that he should probably look else where if he wants to play.

But what does that have to do with the timing of it?  This is exactly when those types of conversations take place.

He was actually cut from what I understand after I just double checked. About 10 players were cut yesterday.

14 minutes ago, Zacharias said:

He was actually cut from what I understand after I just double checked. About 10 players were cut yesterday.

Personally I have no problem with the coaches cutting dead weight if this is true.  It’s disappointing it worked out this way but I believe they’re giving everyone a fair shake and if players don’t want to be here or give the effort the coaches are asking for,  GTFO.  

Now if they’re cutting guys that have done everything right so to speak, that’s a different story.  

33 minutes ago, Scarlet Overkill said:

Maybe I’m dense, but what is this “cutting” thing?  Thought scholarship guys were guaranteed 4 years.  I could see strongly encouraging guys to move on, but cutting?

They may still have their scholly but they are not on the football team....I'm only speculating. 

If that is the case though it's a bold move cotton.  You have a guy you know isn't going to contribute, cut him loose.  I bet the majority of kids leave and free up the scholly if they are in this situation.

• Plus1 1
4 hours ago, Zacharias said:

Pretty sure that's not the case.  That might be how some guys are viewing it.  But it's not reality.

You can't "cut" guys in the B1G.  Their scholarships are guaranteed.  Now, I'm not 100% sure how that applies to Dixon as he's a transfer but there aren't 10 guys who could be cut.  They might be told they should look elsewhere but that's not the same thing.  They have to choose to leave.

Walk-ons possibly.  But not scholarship guys.

• Plus1 2
  • Thanks 1

We must be losing a few scholarship guys or we wouldn't have taken Green and offered M'ba, both 2019 guys.  Last I knew, we were 3 over the 85.  

I don't think there is much difference when it comes to being "cut" and being asked to look else where.  

38 minutes ago, Stumpy1 said:

We must be losing a few scholarship guys or we wouldn't have taken Green and offered M'ba, both 2019 guys.  Last I knew, we were 3 over the 85.  

Depending on how you look at the numbers, we are (probably) one under right now.  

I show us at 86 but I still have Desmond Bland on my list but most guys don't expect him to qualify.  I also have Mazour on my list but his scholarship might not be renewed if it's needed elsewhere.  So we are only "committed" to 84 right at the moment.  And I bet there will be a couple more guys transfer in the next month.

38 minutes ago, Stumpy1 said:

I don't think there is much difference when it comes to being "cut" and being asked to look else where.  

I think there's quite a difference.  If you're cut, the coaches have total control over that.  They simply tell you you're not on the team anymore.  And you wouldn't have a scholarship anymore (if you had one before).  If you're told to look elsewhere, it's pretty obvious that you're probably not going to play but they can't take your scholarship away.

• Plus1 4
  • Fire 1
5 hours ago, Mavric said:

Depending on how you look at the numbers, we are (probably) one under right now.  

I show us at 86 but I still have Desmond Bland on my list but most guys don't expect him to qualify.  I also have Mazour on my list but his scholarship might not be renewed if it's needed elsewhere.  So we are only "committed" to 84 right at the moment.  And I bet there will be a couple more guys transfer in the next month.

I think there's quite a difference.  If you're cut, the coaches have total control over that.  They simply tell you you're not on the team anymore.  And you wouldn't have a scholarship anymore (if you had one before).  If you're told to look elsewhere, it's pretty obvious that you're probably not going to play but they can't take your scholarship away.

I think you are missing one in between - you keep your scholarship but your work ethic doesn't allow you into the football facilities.  It's a bold move but one necessary to get to the top level.

10 minutes ago, GBRFAN said:

I think you are missing one in between - you keep your scholarship but your work ethic doesn't allow you into the football facilities.  It's a bold move but one necessary to get to the top level.

I would keep them on the scout team & not let them to suit up, so there was an incentive to move on.  If we are giving them a schollie, we might as well use them.

4 minutes ago, SouthLincoln Husker said:

I would keep them on the scout team & not let them to suit up, so there was an incentive to move on.  If we are giving them a schollie, we might as well use them.

Not if freeing up the spot on the roster helps us have a larger class next year which helps us bring in more players at a higher level.  I believe the system allows these players to keep their scholarship but doesn't account towards the 85.