Congressial Investigations on Trump - Post Mueller

45 minutes ago, knapplc said:

Trump can try to quash release of this thing all he wants. All that means is it's going to...

aXO3XsY.gif

Knapp, you could save $1000s if you fix your leaky faucet :D

Trump is  relying  on stringing this out as long as possible, creating voter fatigue .  But perhaps  the constant dripping of Democratic oversight will eventually break this issue open.  

4 hours ago, Frott Scost said:

Nadler is one empty threat after another. My guess is no vote on contempt today. They will give Barr another extension til Monday. Nothing will happen and another extension will be given with another empty threat. Until the dems actually do something this will continue. They wont because they are cowards. 

I’ve heard some constitutional experts say that in order to win this in the courts that it’s likely to move into the House has to show that they made every effort to get the information.  That if there’s suggestion that “deadline was too quick” it would be shut down and that Nader, while frustrating most of us watching was actually playing the long game for the win.

i think his patience is done today though.  I also heard that Cummings has suggested withholding salary from those who are refusing to comply with subpoenas.  I say they do that and arrest them.  With Barr start with all those under him and work up.

• Thanks 2

OK...

Two reasons for this, that I can see:

1) The Republicans are seeing Trump fracturing the rule of law and flouting oversight, and they don't want to allow those precedents to be set ESPECIALLY in the (as I see it, likely) event that a democrat holds office in two years.

2) It's a setup, they're going to softball questions to him, and then pull a McConnell and declare it all over & they've done their oversight.

• Plus1 1

21 hours ago, NM11046 said:

I’ve heard some constitutional experts say that in order to win this in the courts that it’s likely to move into the House has to show that they made every effort to get the information.  That if there’s suggestion that “deadline was too quick” it would be shut down and that Nader, while frustrating most of us watching was actually playing the long game for the win.

i think his patience is done today though.  I also heard that Cummings has suggested withholding salary from those who are refusing to comply with subpoenas.  I say they do that and arrest them.  With Barr start with all those under him and work up.

Or throw him in the congressional jail.

https://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2019/05/house-democrats-could-arrest-william-barr-contempt/588976/?utm_medium=offsite&utm_source=yahoo&utm_campaign=yahoo-non-hosted&yptr=yahoo

Impeachment is Congress’s most famous, yet rarely exercised, power over wayward presidents and other federal officers. But as Trump-administration officials continue to defy House subpoenas related to Special Counsel Robert Mueller’s investigation, Democrats in control of the chamber could turn to an even blunter weapon in their arsenal: arrest.

Courts have recognized that the House and Senate each have the authority to enforce their orders by imprisoning those who violate them—literally. They can direct their respective sergeant at arms to arrest officials they’ve found to be in contempt and bring them to the Capitol for trial and, potentially, jail. Congress hasn’t invoked what’s known as the “power of inherent contempt” in nearly a century, but the escalating clash between two co-equal branches of government has Democrats talking about moves previously deemed unthinkable.

“Its day in the sun is coming,” Representative Jamie Raskin of Maryland told me by phone on Tuesday. Raskin, a second-term Democrat and former constitutional-law professor, sits on the House Judiciary Committee, which on Wednesday approved, on a vote of 24–16, a resolution finding Attorney General William Barr in contempt for his refusal to give Congress the full, unredacted Mueller report. As lawmakers met to consider the move, the White House carried out its threat to assert executive privilege over the document.

• Thanks 2
18 hours ago, knapplc said:

Back when Marco Rubio believed in the Constitution and the rule of law...

Funny how in a none funny way all ethics flips on its head depending on who holds the WH.   Note:  Rubio says he would say the same think if the president was GOP.    Waiting...crickets

• Plus1 1

Even if Barr deserves to be arrested, I don’t want them to do it. It’ll make it more likely we don’t have a democracy 2 years from now. The GOP will use it as an excuse. They’ll say the Democrats attempted a coup in order to defend their own coup.

44 minutes ago, Moiraine said:

Even if Barr deserves to be arrested, I don’t want them to do it. It’ll make it more likely we don’t have a democracy 2 years from now. The GOP will use it as an excuse. They’ll say the Democrats attempted a coup in order to defend their own coup.

If they don't enforce the powers of Congress, then the Executive Branch can simply run wild, which isn't a democracy either.

• Plus1 2