Congressial Investigations on Trump - Post Mueller

I thought I'd start a catch all thread on the investigations that are taking center stage now that Mueller has exited the theater. 

We are now into a new phase of the Russian investigation and I think it will really get ugly.  This is more than about Russia, it involves Russia, Trump's taxes, Trump's obstruction, impeachment  etc. 

Officially we now have a war between the WH and the Congressional Dems and the House in particular. 

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-trump-oversight/house-oversight-chairman-cites-massive-obstruction-by-trump-barr-idUSKCN1S02KE

The Democratic chairman of the House Oversight Committee accused the Trump administration of a “massive, unprecedented, and growing pattern of obstruction” for ordering federal employees not to comply with congressional investigations.

“Both President Trump and Attorney General Barr are now openly ordering federal employees to ignore congressional subpoenas and simply not show up - without any assertion of a valid legal privilege,” U.S. Representative Elijah Cummings said in a statement.

“This is a massive, unprecedented, and growing pattern of obstruction,” Cummings said, warning the federal employees to “think very carefully about their own legal interests” in refusing to comply with the panel’s requests.

• Plus1 3

Again, where does it stop? Based on my experience with some posters here, Trump could say the media is lying about the election results if he loses, and it’s all a conspiracy to get back at him for calling them the enemy of the people, and he’s going to stay in office until he’s forcibly removed, and some of the people who post here would say he’s doing the right thing.

If enough of the people who could forcibly remove him are like those people, s#!t could hit the fan.

• Plus1 1
6 minutes ago, Moiraine said:

Again, where does it stop? Based on my experience with some posters here, Trump could say the media is lying about the election results if he loses, and it’s all a conspiracy to get back at him for calling them the enemy of the people, and he’s going to stay in office until he’s forcibly removed, and some of the people who post here would say he’s doing the right thing.

If enough of the people who could forcibly remove him are like those people, s#!t could hit the fan.

Good point.  When everything in govt and media is corrupt except that which Trump declares to be pure, the Cult of Trump will not stand for the removal of Trump via any means - impeachment or by voters.  

• Plus1 1

Moiraine, Evan agrees with us.  It is a Yuge problem as he notes below.    

I can't stress enough the extent to which Trump's base now lives in an alternative info environment and who can blame them? Everyone is lying to them. Trump. His team. Many right-wing commentators. Congressional Republicans. The GOP. Fox News. This is a huge long-term problem.

More from Evan
https://www.nbcnews.com/think/opinion/mueller-report-proves-trump-failed-sound-alarm-russia-impeachable-offense-ncna997076

What the report revealed, page after page, was President Donald Trump and his campaign’s efforts to profit from the most “sweeping and systematic” — to use the words of the report — information warfare attack ever waged against the United States of America.

Trump and his team were uniquely positioned to sound the alarm and halt the Russian attack, but instead they welcomed it. And then they tried to obstruct efforts to investigate it. As such, Trump bears distinct responsibility for our failure to defend against Russia’s hostility and take the steps necessary to deter future threats.

To ensure that his betrayal and obstruction, and the foreign hostility it invites, do not become the new status quo in America, Trump must be held accountable. This means we must convene public hearings in Congress leading to impeachment proceedings in the House of Representatives. We must send an unmistakable message to our adversaries that we will not tolerate attempts to sabotage our democracy and upend the rule of law. It’s not an exaggeration to say that our freedom requires it.

As a former CIA officer, I know that foreign intelligence officers regularly try to infiltrate and manipulate American politics, but what kind of American wouldn’t, out of patriotic duty alone, reject and report a foreign offer to collaborate against our country? The very thought of such betrayal has always sat like a pit in my stomach. Having read Mueller’s report over the past few days, I’m left with that same awful feeling.

The Mueller report documents countless Kremlin efforts to probe and test the Trump campaign while offering its assistance. In encounter after encounter, Trump and his campaign entertained and encouraged Kremlin election interference with a wink and a nod, and sometimes more than that. Not once did Trump or his staff report Moscow to authorities. Not a single time.

One phone call to the FBI, one stern declaration that Putin’s meddling in American elections would result in punishment, likely would have stopped, or at least stymied, Russia’s efforts. But Mueller’s report makes clear that wasn’t the outcome Trump desired

Mueller did his job; now we the people and our representatives in Congress must do ours. Because our commander-in-chief betrayed us by failing to reject help from a hostile foreign adversary in 2016 and obstructing resulting investigations, we must now reject it ourselves and uphold the rule of law. Our representatives in Congress must hear Mueller and others’ public testimony and commence impeachment proceedings for these patriotic purposes.

• Plus1 1

I hope congress is listening Judge Nap unloads on Trump after reviewing the Mueller report and Barr's lack of honesty.  One hopeful sign is that this Fox News contributor feels the freedom to speak out the truth. Maybe Fox is feeling the heat to become 'Fair and Balanced'  Judge Napolitano is well respected in conservative circles.  Maybe some of our Trump cult members should/could take time to pause and reconsider their blind loyal support to the guy.

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/andrew-napolitano-criminal-trump_n_5cc26532e4b081706966eb7f

https://www.yahoo.com/news/andrew-napolitano-criminal-trump-033022943.html

In a column on the Fox News website and in an accompanying video, Napolitano lit into Trump’s claim that he was exonerated by the Mueller report. 

“Mueller laid out at least a half-dozen crimes of obstruction committed by Trump,” Napolitano wrote, and listed them:  

“Why not charge him?” Napolitano asked in his video. “Because the attorney general of the United States would’ve blocked such a charge.”

Before the report’s release, Attorney General William Barr said last month that Trump did not obstruct justice based on the information Mueller’s team laid out in the report. 

However, Napolitano said, Barr used an extremely narrow definition of obstruction that’s at odds with “the nearly universal view of law enforcement.”

“I’m disappointed in the behavior of the president,” Napolitano said in his video. “His job is to preserve, protect and defend the Constitution of the United States to uphold and enforce federal law. Not to violate it.” 

He said if Trump violated the law to save a life, he could have a moral defense.

“But ordering obstruction to save himself from the consequences of his own behavior is unlawful, defenseless and condemnable,” he wrote on the website.

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 3
4 minutes ago, TGHusker said:

I hope congress is listening Judge Nap unloads on Trump after reviewing the Mueller report and Barr's lack of honesty.  One hopeful sign is that this Fox News contributor feels the freedom to speak out the truth. Maybe Fox is feeling the heat to become 'Fair and Balanced'  Judge Napolitano is well respected in conservative circles.  Maybe some of our Trump cult members should/could take time to pause and reconsider their blind loyal support to the guy.

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/andrew-napolitano-criminal-trump_n_5cc26532e4b081706966eb7f

https://www.yahoo.com/news/andrew-napolitano-criminal-trump-033022943.html

:clap