Who is your current favorite 2020 presidential candidate? Why? (Spring 2019 edition)

Candidates  

28 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

AT THE MOMENT my "favorite" (not necessarily who I'd vote for) is Buttigieg. He seems like a pretty decent fellow. The kind of guy I'd have a beer with. 

I have such a hard time taking a candidate named Hickenlooper seriously. And Beto just seems like too much of a hippy to me.

9 minutes ago, knapplc said:

AT THE MOMENT my "favorite" (not necessarily who I'd vote for) is Buttigieg. He seems like a pretty decent fellow. The kind of guy I'd have a beer with.  

I have such a hard time taking a candidate named Hickenlooper seriously. And Beto just seems like too much of a hippy to me. 

He's definitely one of my favorites. He's kind of anathema to everything that Donald Trump actually is. Intelligent, served his country, decent, thoughtful, articulate, consensus builder... yada yada. Of course a full rebuke of Trumpism would probably necessitate a woman winning the nomination, but he'd be a very good choice amongst the men.

Personally I'm torn between him and Warren. I really wish the latter weren't considered so unelectable. She's smart as a whip, the most thoughtful policy mind in the field by far and contrary to popular belief, those policies would actually be really, really good for people in the industrial Midwest instead of her being some coastal elite like she's frequently portrayed. She recently released a policy about debt forgiveness that is top of mind for me personally, just finishing school.

I'm still not convinced we're not slowly heading towards an inevitable BIden nomination, mostly because he seems like the type of guy white working class voters in the Rust Belt would vote for. And frankly due to the Electoral College, swing state voters (especially in the Midwest) seem to be the only ones that matter.

• Plus1 1
17 minutes ago, knapplc said:

Buttigieg has come out and said he doesn't want to take a stand on policies. It's an old political trick to try not to offend anyone and not to have to do the hard work of proposing and defending issues and solutions, so he's out in my book.

2 minutes ago, Danny Bateman said:

Personally I'm torn between him and Warren. I really wish the latter weren't considered so unelectable. She's smart as a whip, the most thoughtful policy mind in the field by far and contrary to popular belief, those policies would actually be really, really good for people in the industrial Midwest instead of her being some coastal elite like she's frequently portrayed. She recently released a policy about debt forgiveness that is top of mind for me personally, just finishing school.

I'm still not convinced we're not slowly heading towards an inevitable BIden nomination, mostly because he seems like the type of guy white working class voters in the Rust Belt would vote for. And frankly due to the Electoral College, swing state voters (especially in the Midwest) seem to be the only ones that matter.

I like Warren too, but she's not doing well in the polls and hasn't caught on with the voters.

The Dem primary is proportional, so it's not affected by how the Electoral College works. And I can't imagine voters from the other states deciding to vote the same way the swing states did just because that might help in the general.

I haven't heard them all yet and am really looking forward to some good debates between the Democratic candidates. Mayor Pete has been getting all of the buzz over the past few weeks, and I have loved everything he has said. He gets my vote on this poll for now. However, he has not elaborated on policy yet. His buzz seems to be built on his intelligence, thoughtfulness, and friendliness (all of which are good things and are extremely refreshing in comparison to Trump), but I'm really looking forward to hearing him go head to head with some of the candidates who have much more seasoned policy chops.

Even if Biden, Warren, and Sanders (in my opinion) need to take a step back to some of these other names, their campaigns and presence in the debates should either sharpen or expose the other candidates. There is a lot to offer across the board from all candidates, hopefully they don't trash each other too bad in the next year and whoever the nominee ends up being has a collection of solid ideas and a coalition of support to take to the GE.

8 minutes ago, RedDenver said:

I like Warren too, but she's not doing well in the polls and hasn't caught on with the voters. 

The Dem primary is proportional, so it's not affected by how the Electoral College works. And I can't imagine voters from the other states deciding to vote the same way the swing states did just because that might help in the general. 

Warren has caught on with certain groups - for example, black women. Will it be enough? Probably not unless the field thins out.

My comment about swing states was really geared towards the general, but nonetheless....

Q-Poll from March & Monmouth from February both pointed out that Dem primary voters are elevating electability over agreeing with one's values moreso than in the past. IMO that's where people like Biden would get a boost - people in non-swing states may have a candidate they really like but vote for someone they view as more electable in the general election. IMO, that's silly since that is what primaries are for - voting for the candidate you like most - but people vote for different reasons.

• Plus1 1
40 minutes ago, Danny Bateman said:

He's definitely one of my favorites. He's kind of anathema to everything that Donald Trump actually is. Intelligent, served his country, decent, thoughtful, articulate, consensus builder... yada yada. Of course a full rebuke of Trumpism would probably necessitate a woman winning the nomination, but he'd be a very good choice amongst the men.

That is like the opposite ends of the policy spectrum.  Warren is just throwing policy (mostly good) out left and right while Mayor Pete is all about value and doesn't care much about policy.

I voted "Another Republican" But, I am more than willing to listen to some of the Democrats.  There is no way in hell I'm voting for Trump.  Weld doesn't really trip my trigger.

I wish the poll allowed multiple answers.  This early, I haven't narrowed anything down to one candidate.

My list of Dems I'm willing to hear more from is:

Buttigieg

Harris

Gabbard

Beto

46 minutes ago, knapplc said:

This.  

Mayor Pete is #1 for me right now, but when it comes to content you have to respect the specific policies Warren is rolling out and her experience.   If she were a man there would be a ton of support for her I think.  Sadly.

I love Biden, but I'm disappointed he's in the race, I want new blood.  As things move along he'd be good to go up against Trump and I'd support him 100%.  

Looking forward to the debates.

I'd like to speculate how the drop outs happen in the Dem party:

Messam

Williamson

Gabbard

Ryan

Hickenloper
Innslee

Delaney

Yang

Swalwell

Castro

Moulton

Gildabrand

Klobacher

Booker

Beto

Buttigieg

Harris

Also, who do you think Biden chooses if he wins?  Equal amount of risk/benefit discussion can be had on that.

I chose Sanders because of healthcare and healthcare only.  That is my main issue this election and I know he will not flip-flop on medicare for all like the others have.  He made a fool out of himself at the women of color event last night though. 

If Warren didn't walk back medicare for all, she would be my top choice as she has been throwing out solid policy for months.

11 minutes ago, Frott Scost said:

That is like the opposite ends of the policy spectrum.  Warren is just throwing policy (mostly good) out left and right while Mayor Pete is all about value and doesn't care much about policy.

I'm a man of varied interests. I do feel Warren is the far and away the best candidate on sheer policy alone, but I've heard Buttigieg speak several times since he first ran for DNC chair years ago and I really love the way he talks about issues and has actual discussions about problems. How that will manifest itself in terms of policy has yet to be seen, but I feel like he represents my (our?) generation very admirably in a way few other candidates can. I definitely think his charisma and well-spokenness is the kind of stuff that wins general elections - the concrete policy positions would necessarily come together as he went along.

9 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

I voted "Another Republican" But, I am more than willing to listen to some of the Democrats.  There is no way in hell I'm voting for Trump.  Weld doesn't really trip my trigger.

I wish the poll allowed multiple answers.  This early, I haven't narrowed anything down to one candidate.

My list of Dems I'm willing to hear more from is:

Buttigieg

Harris

Gabbard

Beto

I added the option for multiple votes. I suppose it will allow us to see who has broader support versus just a single favorite.

• Plus1 1
20 minutes ago, Frott Scost said:

I chose Sanders because of healthcare and healthcare only.  That is my main issue this election and I know he will not flip-flop on medicare for all like the others have.  He made a fool out of himself at the women of color event last night though.  

If Warren didn't walk back medicare for all, she would be my top choice as she has been throwing out solid policy for months. 

Did she do that? Huh, I had no idea.

I thought Buttigieg had a really good way of stating support for healthcare reform that was short of M4A but would also be an excellent bridge towards that direction.

He supports a public option to buy into Medicare, IIRC.  He basically stated that if we get that and we're correct about Medicare, it's going to work far better and more efficiently than private health insurance, which will subsequently create pressure on them to compete or die. So in a way he's saying he's not for M4A right now but creating a bridge to it.

While I'd prefer just overhauling the system, as would you, this is a good argument for those who remain skeptical or worry about scrapping the private health insurance industry altogether.

• Plus1 1