Who is your current favorite 2020 presidential candidate? Why? (Spring 2019 edition)

Candidates  

28 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

27 minutes ago, Danny Bateman said:

Did she do that? Huh, I had no idea.

I thought Buttigieg had a really good way of stating support for healthcare reform that was short of M4A but would also be an excellent bridge towards that direction.

He supports a public option to buy into Medicare, IIRC.  He basically stated that if we get that and we're correct about Medicare, it's going to work far better and more efficiently than private health insurance, which will subsequently create pressure on them to compete or die. So in a way he's saying he's not for M4A right now but creating a bridge to it.

While I'd prefer just overhauling the system, as would you, this is a good argument for those who remain skeptical or worry about scrapping the private health insurance industry altogether.

This video breaks down why public buy-in would not be a good option.

• Thanks 2

I think may candidates (other than Warren) aren't providing specific answers yet.  His philosophy on Democratic Capitalism appeals to me, I appreciate the perspective that you can have private insurers involved in a healthcare for all initiative and I'm sure we'll hear more in the coming 18 months from all of them.

Honestly for me always, but especially in 2020 character matters.  Good people typically surround themselves with good people - building policy with a braintrust rather than a one man soundbite during elections appeals to me.  One thing that I"m appreciating greatly is that right now other than Bernie, all these folks are playing well in the sandbox with each other, I suppose a lot of that comes from them spending time in DC together, but i think the likelihood of us coming out of the primary with a strong candidate and a super strong line up of cabinet members that we're familiar with is high.

• Plus1 4

1 hour ago, NM11046 said:

I think may candidates (other than Warren) aren't providing specific answers yet.  His philosophy on Democratic Capitalism appeals to me, I appreciate the perspective that you can have private insurers involved in a healthcare for all initiative and I'm sure we'll hear more in the coming 18 months from all of them.

Honestly for me always, but especially in 2020 character matters.  Good people typically surround themselves with good people - building policy with a braintrust rather than a one man soundbite during elections appeals to me.  One thing that I"m appreciating greatly is that right now other than Bernie, all these folks are playing well in the sandbox with each other, I suppose a lot of that comes from them spending time in DC together, but i think the likelihood of us coming out of the primary with a strong candidate and a super strong line up of cabinet members that we're familiar with is high.

Warren, Bernie, and Yang are all identifying specific issues and providing specific answers. I've seen some but not a lot from Harris, Booker, and Gabbard and virtually nothing from Beto and Pete. Biden just entered the race, so we're still waiting on him, and I don't think the rest are going to matter for the race.

Why do you think other candidates are playing well but not Bernie? I haven't seen him lay a finger on a candidate other than Trump. For myself, I don't care at all if the candidates get along well - what matters is their policies and to a lesser extent their rhetoric. I actually wish the Dems in general would stop playing nice and getting pushed around. Give me a firebrand over a milquetoast candidate.

Bernie hasn't said anything, but his staff and followers have been very active vs. other dem candidates.

I didn't know about Bernies proposals, I haven't paid a lot of attention as to my knowledge he hasn't changed a whole lot and I feel like I know his focus.  I guess my issue with Yang and thus the reason I'm ok with the others not putting a lot of inked permanance on their stuff yet is that I feel they should get out, meet people, talk to think tanks and experts about what to do, prioritizing issues etc.   I think Yang is doing a lot that is specific to his interests (meaning what he's interested in, not that he benefits from).  One could say that about Warren and Bernie as well, but they've had a level of involvement that is different from what he brings.  I agree with his VAT stuff but nothing else he says resonates with me.  Harris who I really like(d) has been non comittal on things, and Booker (who I go back and forth about) has flip flopped on stuff.  I was a big Beto supporter for Senate, but I think he's over his head here, he hasn't seemed prepared and doesn't seem ready for the big stage - maybe he'll surprise me but I think ultimately he'll be like the other "bright stars" that try to peak too quickly and fizzle out.

Lots can change in 18 months, and I will certainly keep an open mind about candidates until it's go time.  But I'm not upset that there are a bunch without specific plans that they're rolling out right now.

edit: I should say there is founded speculation that the Bernie folks are behind some of the negative info that's been coming out - ex on Harris and her truency policy, Butigeig and his police force situation in South Bend etc.  

15 minutes ago, NM11046 said:

Bernie hasn't said anything, but his staff and followers have been very active vs. other dem candidates.

edit: I should say there is founded speculation that the Bernie folks are behind some of the negative info that's been coming out - ex on Harris and her truency policy, Butigeig and his police force situation in South Bend etc.  

If you're going to count people other than the candidate, then Bernie has been attacked a lot, particularly by former Hillary staffers. It seems like a poor way to judge a candidate though.

Also, I don't agree with Yang, but I respect that he's taken a stand and putting forth a solution.

• Plus1 2

I think when campaign advisors and folks paid by the candidate are actively doing things that falls under the pervue of the person up top.    But now I'm actually scrolling back to figure out where I said I was judging him because of these folks ... what I said was that I appreciate how the others are handling themselves.

I can't speak to and don't know what former Hillary advisors are doing to Bernie, but if that's true and she was running I'd struggle with that too.  

You are defined by who you surround yourself with.  Good or bad.  

5 hours ago, NM11046 said:

Speak up Hickenloper fan ...

I voted other Repub - still wish Kasich would get in.  I hope someone takes out Trump in the primaries for the ultimate humiliation.  He can't blame the 'rigged system' since the RNC already threw their support behind him.  Otherwise I suspect Biden will have to take him out behind the woodshed and take care of business.

Of the Dems

Hickenloper  - good governor  - I think we need someone who can work both sides of the political divide like governors have to do.

Pete  -- new ideas, new generation

Biden - probably guaranty a win against Trump

• Plus1 1
3 hours ago, TGHusker said:

I voted other Repub - still wish Kasich would get in.  I hope someone takes out Trump in the primaries for the ultimate humiliation.  He can't blame the 'rigged system' since the RNC already threw their support behind him.  Otherwise I suspect Biden will have to take him out behind the woodshed and take care of business.

Of the Dems

Hickenloper  - good governor  - I think we need someone who can work both sides of the political divide like governors have to do.

Pete  -- new ideas, new generation

Biden - probably guaranty a win against Trump

I hope everyday that “today is the day Kasich announces.”  I’m growing tired of the disappointment and ready to move on.  If I had to choose today it would be Joe with a very close second of Pete.

5 hours ago, RedDenver said:

This is just some guy's opinion, but it shows how critical winning particular states are in the general election:

They're absolutely right. Unless you're in a handful of "competitive states" your voice doesn't really feel like it matters at all. What is the motivation for either party to visit any states other than those three in the Midwest (PA/MI/WI) and possibly FL? Ultimately some states are trending one way or another but immediately in 2020 it feels like none of them matter that much.

Bernie could probably do pretty well in Wisconsin, but I do feel he takes Florida more squarely off the table as the progressive Gillum just lost statewide there last year and he's about as close to a Bernie candidate as we got at the state level last cycle. I'm pessimistically kind of writing of Florida this cycle - it seems a lot more white, old and potentially more racist than I thought. They're already trying to turn the felon re-enfranchisement referendum they passed last year into a poll tax on black people. If we get Florida great but I'm not counting on it.

All of this is just more reason the Electoral College is trash and it needs to go. Our elections shouldn't boil down to just a handful of states mattering.

• Plus1 3