Read THIS and tell me Wisconsin should not be our main Rival

6 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

Moiraine,

I really don't care.  Honestly....I don't.  I've stated many times in this thread that everyone will have their own opinion as to what makes a rival.  For some reason, you got up on the wrong side of the bed this morning and decided to pick an argument.  I specifically used YOUR REASONING as to why Northwestern is YOUR "closest" (if I have to add that word).  I specifically used your criteria:

God forbid I would make the mistake of putting words in your mouth.

So, fine.  Whatever you want.  I have specifically said that everyone has different definitions of "rival".  Then, you get upset and come in and claim the bolded above. 

You act like I've never said there are multiple reasons why someone could be our rival.  Are you putting words in my mouth?

You did put words in my mouth. Twice in this conversation so far. That’s the part I care about. Just argue with what I’m actually saying if you’re going to argue.

Auburn and Alabama have a history of being on similar levels at least part of the time.

Instead of arguing with my words, you made up a new scenario in your head where I said they have to be on the same level ALL the time and it’s the ONLY factor in a rivarly.

I also never said or thought that you think there is only one factor that makes a rivalry. Not sure where you got that idea. I’ve hardly even argued with what you think makes a rival. I’ve mostly been discussing your use of strawmen.

1 minute ago, Moiraine said:

You did put words in my mouth.

Auburn and Alabama have a history of being on similar levels at least part of the time.

Instead of arguing with my words, you made up a new scenariom in your head where I said they have to be on the same level ALL the time and it’s the ONLY factor in a rivarly.

I also never said or thought that you think there is only one factor that makes a rivalry. Not sure where you got that idea. 

I'm glad you're able to type because if we were having a verbal conversation, you wouldn't be able to talk with all the words I supposedly put in your mouth.

• Haha 1
3 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

I'm glad you're able to type because if we were having a verbal conversation, you wouldn't be able to talk with all the words I supposedly put in your mouth.

You used your imagination to make up an argument for me, that Auburn and Alabama both have to be on similar levels all the time forever, then you argued with it. That’s what you did. And that’s what you did with your original reply when you said by my reasoning we could never have a rival. Those are the facts.

• Plus1 1
12 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

Moiraine,

I really don't care.  Honestly....I don't.  I've stated many times in this thread that everyone will have their own opinion as to what makes a rival.  For some reason, you got up on the wrong side of the bed this morning and decided to pick an argument.  I specifically used YOUR REASONING as to why Northwestern is YOUR "closest" (if I have to add that word).  I specifically used your criteria:

God forbid I would make the mistake of putting words in your mouth.

So, fine.  Whatever you want.  I have specifically said that everyone has different definitions of "rival".  Then, you get upset and come in and claim the bolded above. 

You act like I've never said there are multiple reasons why someone could be our rival.  Are you putting words in my mouth?

I don’t care about you having a different definition of a rival. I care that you make up an opinion for me then argue against it. 

• Plus1 1

4 hours ago, TGHusker said:

Get OU in the conference and let them become our rival again.

Hate to say this, but Nebraska was never OU's rival.  Texas is, was, and forever will be their rival.  And since aTm left, OU is Texas's rival.  

Nebraska was an important game for them since the winner usually won the conference.  Evidence? Who did Oklahoma choose to play every year - NU or Texas?

• Plus1 2

11 hours ago, Moiraine said:

IMO it’s delusional to think a team that’s beaten us 8 out of 9 times or whatever it is, and we have almost no past history with, is a rival, and it makes us look like idiots to say they are. There is no reciprocity there.

The reason people call Wisconsin a rival is because if Wisconsin becomes our rival it means we’re good again.

The only problem with the part I’ve quoted here is that, being (relatively) new to the Big10 we don’t have an extensive history with anyone.

As to the 2nd paragraph quoted: PRECISELY!

12 hours ago, Moiraine said:

I bet Illinois wants to beat Iowa and Wisconsin badly too. That doesn’t mean either of those teams are their rival. 

That’s literally the only thing we have when it comes to Wisconsin. We want to beat them. Same as every other team in the West that’s not very good.

Well, somebody's gotta call somebody out or the party don't get started!

• Plus1 1
17 hours ago, huKSer said:

Hate to say this, but Nebraska was never OU's rival.  Texas is, was, and forever will be their rival.  And since aTm left, OU is Texas's rival.  

Nebraska was an important game for them since the winner usually won the conference.  Evidence? Who did Oklahoma choose to play every year - NU or Texas?

I hate that rule of being allowed only one rival.

(Hopefully the sarcasm is thick enough)

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
19 hours ago, huKSer said:

So who was our rival?  Iowa State??  I think not.  OU was our rival for the very reason you stated - who would win the conference.  OU and the other weak brothers got greedy for texas money