Cam’Ron Jones Enters Transfer Portal

3 hours ago, Mavric said:

Yeah, this.  I don't think we're thin at safety.  I think we're thin at corner.  They are trying most of the new guys at corner hoping one or two will be able to work out there.  But at least some of them will end up back at safety.

Safety doesn't worry me.  But we need to find some corners to have a chance to be a great defense.

Next Season

Safety:

Dismuke - SR

Williams - SR

Farmer - RsFr

Smith - Soph

Wright - RsFr

Corner:

Bootle - SR

Taylor - JR

Clark - Soph

Newsome - RsFr

NPG - RsFr

That's a good foundation. Need to get two true CB's this cycle, imo. We tried last cycle and whiffed for whatever reason. 

5 minutes ago, Moiraine said:

Not doing much your first 3 years vs. not doing much the year you redshirt are very different things. The latter has more potential to get better, which exceptions of course.

I'm not arguing the talent, I'm just stating he did nothing to contribute , but those two guys who have been here for 3 years have in a way through practice reps or play. Kid came in got hurt, didn't go to classes, got hurt again, and was held from practicing due to failing academics. I agree his ceiling is higher than Lee and Anderson, but he would not have made a difference this year regardless and with the incoming DB's we have, it was inevitable he was falling way behind. I would take guys like Lee and Anderson for depth than an unproven commodity no matter what the kids name is.

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1

1 hour ago, Warrior10 said:

Next Season

Safety:

Dismuke - SR

Williams - SR

Farmer - RsFr

Smith - Soph

Wright - RsFr

Corner:

Bootle - SR

Taylor - JR

Clark - Soph

Newsome - RsFr

NPG - RsFr

That's a good foundation. Need to get two true CB's this cycle, imo. We tried last cycle and whiffed for whatever reason. 

Taylor is just a So.

2 hours ago, BIG ERN said:

Neither have contributed at Nebraska in their 3 years so far....I get they could surprise us, but right now we have no depth

I wouldn't argue that with you, but Fisher mentioned both as taking leaps. Hopefully, we see actual player development moving forward  :)

2 hours ago, Warrior10 said:

The calvary is coming. 

2021: Dismuke, Williams, Smith, Wright, NPG/Farmer (one probably stays at CB).

Still think Taylor could be a good safety (and might this year) but he's likely taking Lamar's spot next year. 

But Fisher can't slow down and I hear ya this year. 

I agree, but it isn't easy to come in as a true freshman and be a good player. Down the road I have no concerns. I was strictly talking about this upcoming year

9 minutes ago, BIG ERN said:

I agree, but it isn't easy to come in as a true freshman and be a good player. Down the road I have no concerns. I was strictly talking about this upcoming year

We are set about as good as you can expect for this year.  Two experienced starters in Williams and Dismuke.  Domann can play there and he has some game experience.  Three veterans who can play if needed - Lee, Anderson & Butler.  And several young guys to work into the mix - Smith, Wright, NPG, Farmer.

You're really not going to get more depth than that.

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1
18 minutes ago, Mavric said:

We are set about as good as you can expect for this year.  Two experienced starters in Williams and Dismuke.  Domann can play there and he has some game experience.  Three veterans who can play if needed - Lee, Anderson & Butler.  And several young guys to work into the mix - Smith, Wright, NPG, Farmer.

You're really not going to get more depth than that.

I guess we just view this differently. Dismuke and Williams have had a good amount of PT but have a total of 1 career start combined. Anderson has 3 career tackles. Tony Butler has 2 career tackles. Lee saw some PT at corner and did okay at best. I love the young guys but again they haven't seen the field in a college game yet. 

• Plus1 1