Heiman, Harris, and Thor moving on

6 minutes ago, Cdog923 said:

Not of their own choosing, either. 

I am a bit perplexed, though: Thor is good enough to play for Hoiberg, but Harris and Davis aren't?

Not sure about Davis, but Harris is coming off a knee injury, so there may have been concern about him being healthy for the 2019-2020 season.  I know it was just a torn meniscus injury, but I am just guessing at this point.

Per the OWH, the coaching staff called Harris over the weekend and told him that he no longer had a spot on the team, and Davis was told late last week.  Sounds like Hoiberg doesn't see these players a good fit for the program long-term, and now is his opportunity to get rid of the player on scholarship.

EDIT:  I removed the snippet from the OWH, which I didn't see South Lincoln post.

4 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

I trust Hoiberg has a plan.  He obviously knows what's going on behind the scenes and we don't.

However, I really hope he has a  plan for having more bodies on the bench than what it appears we have right now.

Hoiberg is going with the Norman Dale plan for next year.

• Haha 3

Just now, BigRedBuster said:

Well, my feelings are, unless he knows he can get a few more players, why cut the ones he has loose?

SouthLincoln posted the NCAA regulation which allows a new coach to get rid of players on scholarships in the first year of a coaching change.

Hoiberg obviously doesn't see Heiman, Harris, and Davis as valuable in the long-term, so they aren't worth committing to 3 more years of being on scholarship at NU.  Hoiberg is cutting them loose now, rely on a small roster in 2019-20, and try to have a full roster with better players in 2020-21.  I don't think it would be difficult for Hoiberg and staff to have players better than those 3 in what would have been their junior seasons.

• Plus1 2
  • Fire 1

If they were marginal fits for his offense, it's actually beneficial to BOTH sides to clear things out now.

It gets the players launched into the portal to begin their careers anew and I'm guessing HCFH will have NO problem filling his roster with better fits.......

• 2 weeks later...