Dalano Banton

https://www.omaha.com/huskers/mens-basketball/former-top--recruit-dalano-banton-commits-to-nebraska/article_85efc258-72c1-5bb2-a12e-66bce3a25562.html

Nebraska received a commitment of 6-foot-8, 195-pound transfer Dalano Banton on Wednesday afternoon.

Banton will sit out one season and have three years of eligibility. In 31 games at Western Kentucky as a freshman, Banton averaged just 3.2 points per contest, but nearly had a triple-double against Wisconsin in December with 8 points, 13 rebounds and 10 assists.

The main draw to Nebraska, he said, was not on the court, but off.

“When I opened my recruitment, Nebraska reached out to me and ever since then we built that relationship, not just a coach to player but more like man to man,” Banton said. “Just knowing that, aside from basketball, if I’m having an off day I have the chance to talk to someone and walk into coaches office and we can talk about it. Knowing I can have that, it felt so loving when I went on my visit.”

• Plus1 2
  • 2 months later...

Dalano Banton might be the player with the highest upside I’ve seen in a Nebraska practice gym. That includes Isaiah Roby, James Palmer and Isaac Copeland. The Western Kentucky transfer is all legs and limbs, with a short torso and long, braided hair. He can make it across the length of the floor in fewer than 10 strides. He’s a 6-foot-8, 195-pound point guard who — seriously — can take the ball up the floor and initiate as well as anyone on the team. He can bang around down low and has a smooth jumper. During a drill that required Banton to slam into a football pad to block out, he smiled and yelled the whole time. Loved it. When you think Hoiberg, you think transfers and you think Royce White and Georges Niang. And you should think Banton, too. He has to sit out a year. But watch out when he’s eligible.

OWH

• Plus1 3
  • 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...

• 5 months later...

Hoiberg seems to be really really high on him. Says he has "as good of a feel as anyone I've ever coached". Said Banton would take scout team with two walk-ons last year and regularly beat the starters in practice. Feels comfortable with Banton reading the floor and calling out plays on his own versus Fred having to call them in.

• Plus1 1
  • 2 months later...
  • seaofred92 changed the title to Dalano Banton