The Corruption of Lindsey Graham

2016 Lindsey Graham hates Donald Trump

Graham: We should have kicked Trump out of the party

Republicans should have expelled Donald Trump from the Republican Party, Lindsey Graham said Monday.

The former presidential candidate told CNN’s Wolf Blitzer that the New York billionaire’s rhetoric toward immigrants has exacerbated the problem the GOP had with Hispanics in 2012.

“He took our problems in 2012 with Hispanics and made them far worse by espousing forced deportation,” Graham said. “Looking back, we should have basically kicked him out of the party.”

Asked how that would be done, the South Carolina senator suggested Republicans could have united against him like many are doing now.

“The more you know about Donald Trump, the less likely you are to vote for him. The more you know about his business enterprises, the less successful he looks. The more you know about his political giving, the less Republican he looks,” Graham said. “We should have done this months ago.”

Sen. Lindsey Graham (R-S.C.) is known for telling it like he sees it, but Thursday afternoon, battling a cold that has made his voice hoarse, we may have finally found “Peak Lindsey”.

The onetime presidential contender gave a seven-minute diatribe in the Capitol basement, lambasting the Republican presidential frontrunner with enough pejoratives that he confided he was “literally running out of adjectives” to impugn Donald Trump.

Why will Trump lose the general election? “Because he’s just generally a loser as a person and a candidate,” Graham said.

Pressed later about why Trump would lose, Graham raised his voice to make his point: “Why will he lose???? Because he’s ill-suited for the job!!!”

Graham, who endorsed Jeb Bush after dropping out, has not yet backed another candidate in the wake of the ex-governor’s own withdrawal. Graham sheepishly admitted he would endorse Trump if he wins the nomination: “I’ve got a ticket on the Titanic. So I am like on the team that bought a ticket on the Titanic, after we saw the movie. This is what happens if you nominate Trump.”

2019 Lindsey Graham loves Donald Trump

Lindsey Graham Goes Full “But Her E-Mails” in Barr Hearing Meltdown

Fresh off a tirade encouraging Donald Trump to stonewall Democratic subpoenas, Lindsey Graham kicked off William Barr’s Senate Judiciary Committee hearing on Wednesday by rehashing the Hillary Clinton e-mail controversy, a matter settled by the F.B.I. close to three years ago now, and vowing to probe the origins of the investigation into the president and his campaign. “When the Mueller report is put to bed, and it soon will be,” Graham said in his grating opening remarks, “this committee is going to look long and hard at how this all started.”

At one point, Graham went full-on conspiracy crank, alleging the Clinton team went to great lengths to dispose of pertinent evidence. “There was a protective order for the server issued by the House and there was a request by the State Department to preserve all the information on the server,” he said. “Paul Combetta, after having the protective order, used a software program called BleachBit to wipe this email server clean . . . Eighteen devices possessed by Secretary Clinton she used to do business as secretary. How many of them were turned over to the F.B.I.? None. Two of them could be turned over because Judith Casper took a hammer and destroyed two of them. What happened to her? Nothing.” (Both the BleachBit and hammer-smashing theories are popular on the right.)

Graham: 'I don't care' what happened between Trump and McGahn

Sen. Lindsey Graham on Sunday said he doesn't care if President Donald Trump told then-White House counsel Don McGahn to fire special counsel Robert Mueller — the Mueller investigation is over.

"It's all theater — it doesn't matter," the South Carolina Republican told "Face the Nation" host Margaret Brennan. "I don't care what he said to Don McGahn — it's what he did. The president never obstructed."

"It doesn't matter to you that the president is changing a version of events and some would say lying?" Brennan asked.

In a redacted version of Mueller's report, McGahn is reported to have said he refused to fire Mueller when ordered to do so by Trump. The president has denied he told anyone to fire McGahn, tweeting that if he had wanted to fire Mueller, he could have done it himself.

"If you're going to look at every president who pops off at his staff, asks them to do something that is maybe crazy, then we won't have any presidents," Graham said, claiming he had "fought hard as hell" to make sure Mueller was able to carry out his investigation unobstructed.

Graham, who chairs the Senate Judiciary Committee, said he won't call Mueller or McGahn to testify now.

"I don't know how clear I can be, Margaret: It's over for me," Graham said, calling obstruction of justice "absurd."

So What Happened to Lindsey Graham?

There are two possible explanations for why Lindsey Graham (R, South Carolina), former bitter Trump hater, has turned ardent Trump supporter. One is that Lindsey Graham sees that Trump is the face of today's Republican party. He helped create this party by worsening political divides in congress, and now Trump has reaped the benefits of that madness. Graham all but admits that he's kowtowing to Trump to "stay relevant."

How Lindsey Graham Went From Trump Skeptic to Trump Sidekick

“What happened to me?” Graham asked in Greenville. “Not a damn thing.” The crowd gave him a standing ovation.

What did happen to Lindsey Graham? I raised the question directly to him the following afternoon in his Senate office in Washington. Graham was collapsed behind a cluttered desk, sipping a Coke Zero and complaining of exhaustion.

“Well, O.K., from my point of view, if you know anything about me, it’d be odd not to do this,” he said.

I asked what “this” was. “ ‘This,’ ” Graham said, “is to try to be relevant.” Politics, he explained, was the art of what works and what brings desired outcomes. “I’ve got an opportunity up here working with the president to get some really good outcomes for the country,” he told me.

But there's another explanation. And it's just good old-fashioned basic corruption. 

Someone paid for Graham.  And that someone probably likes borscht for supper.

Trump-Loyal Senators Make Russian Oligarch’s Day

In the latest, alarming, sign of Russia’s influence over not just President Trump but the GOP more broadly, Senate Republicans went to bat Wednesday for sanctioned oligarch Oleg Deripaska, aka “Putin’s favourite industrialist,” who had loaned $10 million to Trump’s now-jailed former campaign manager Paul Manafort.

One month ago, Trump’s Treasury Department announced it would lift sanctions on three companies tied to Deripaska, an aluminum and energy magnate. Treasury Secretary Steven Mnuchin asserted that “these companies have committed to significantly diminish Deripaska’s ownership and sever his control.”

The effort to keep the sanctions in place required 60 votes to succeed, and fell just short Wednesday when 42 Republicans voted to lift them, toeing the Trump line. Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-KY) whipped GOP nay votes, calling the effort a “Democratic stunt.” Those backing Trump included onetime Russia hawks Mitt Romney (R-UT) and Lindsey Graham (R-SC).

Who is Oleg Deripaska?  Funny story...

Braidy Industries lands Russian investor for Kentucky aluminum mill

A Russian company wants to invest $200 million in Braidy Industries' planned aluminum rolling mill near Ashland — a major capital infusion for the roughly $1.7 billion project, which taxpayer-backed Braidy is working to fully finance.

United Co. Rusal plans to invest in the plant, which is set to open fully in 2021 and produce aluminum sheet for the automotive industry, where demand for such materials is projected to grow significantly in the coming years.

The U.S. previously placed sanctions on Rusal, as well as co-owner Oleg Deripaska, a Russian oligarch with ties to Vladimir Putin, according to prior reporting by Reuters. The sanctions on Rusal were lifted earlier this year.

In January, the U.S. Senate voted down a measure opposing the plan to end the sanctions against Rusal and En+ Group, its parent company.

Kentucky's senators, Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell and Sen. Rand Paul, both voted against that proposal, although several other Republicans joined the chamber's Democrats in voting for it, according to the Senate's online records.

Kentucky, where the mill will be built, is Mitch McConnell's state.

• Plus1 3
  • Thanks 3

Pretty amazing.  I want to draw parallels  but not in a 'what about' way.  In denouncing Obama era policies, the GOP, Rush, Hannity, etc often refer to one of their corruption, conspiracy theories - Uranium One.  Based on the above articles, it seems to me that this is a case of needing to get the 'log out of your own eye before you take the speck out of your brother's eye'. Here it appears we have real conflicts of interest, real ethical violations, and real corruption.   McConnell, Lindsey, etc are corrupt and have been corrupted by their association with this president.  I have to believe that if Trump's financial records and returns come to light, we'll find that Russian money has kept his business afloat for some time, that he is entangled and compromised and to protect himself, he has brought others into this whirlwind of corruption.   Call me crazy :ahhhhhhhhbut discernment tells me that there is more to the Trump book than just the cover and that cover is hiding a lot of corruption.  Also remember that McConnnell's wife is a cabinet member.  How can there be any oversight by congress with this enmeshment? 

• Plus1 2
42 minutes ago, TGHusker said:

Pretty amazing.  I want to draw parallels  but not in a 'what about' way.  In denouncing Obama era policies, the GOP, Rush, Hannity, etc often refer to one of their corruption, conspiracy theories - Uranium One.  Based on the above articles, it seems to me that this is a case of needing to get the 'log out of your own eye before you take the speck out of your brother's eye'. Here it appears we have real conflicts of interest, real ethical violations, and real corruption.   McConnell, Lindsey, etc are corrupt and have been corrupted by their association with this president.  I have to believe that if Trump's financial records and returns come to light, we'll find that Russian money has kept his business afloat for some time, that he is entangled and compromised and to protect himself, he has brought others into this whirlwind of corruption.   Call me crazy :ahhhhhhhhbut discernment tells me that there is more to the Trump book than just the cover and that cover is hiding a lot of corruption.  Also remember that McConnnell's wife is a cabinet member.  How can there be any oversight by congress with this enmeshment? 

Hey Mr. Crazy, you don't even have to get passed the cover to see some corruption.

-Trump foundation

-Trump University

-Trump's treatment of contractors

-Govt use of Trump properties ($1000 bar tab by Bannon that was paid by the White House, etc)

They put little corruption teasers right underneath the title  ;)

• Plus1 2

Really, it's not just Graham that's been compromised. It's the whole GOP. It needs a cleansing, badly.

Here's that whole thread unwrapped, but you can click the tweet & read it in its natural form if that's your thing.

1. Recently read a book about Soviet Union in the mid-to-late 1980s. Page after page, things grew ever more familiar. Then, the shocking realization hit me:

The modern GOP, in thought and action, is identical to the apparatchik Soviet ideologues. Science denial, spinning of...
2...reality to fit with ideology, absolute refusal to ever acknowledge error, whataboutism, attacks on the (western) media as purveyors of fake news, denial of facts when they contradicted belief. It made me realize that what we are seeing with the modern GOP....
3...is not some freaky outcome that is limited only to them - it is the behavior of people in a closed system where any dissent from the beliefs - and false representations of reality - have enormous consequences. Loss of party, loss of position, loss of prestige. And so....
4...even when the Soviet officials KNEW what they were saying was not true, they continued to push down that path - saying the same things even to their friends - because the truth had such enormous consequences. The enforcer in Soviet Union was the Communist Party. In the US...
5...the enforcer is Fox News. Look at what happens to anyone who diverts from the accepted truth. John McCain went from an American hero who was selected as the GOP nominee for president a few years before to a traitor. Fox pushed it a little bit, and the party members jumped...
6...as far as they needed to go. Fox is the Pravda and state controlled television of the right wing. Reality is not part of its brief. The science denial, however, was the most striking. The reactors used across Russia were ticking time bombs because of bad construction. That...
7...is why Chernobyl Reactor 4 melted down. It was only a matter of time. When the meltdown occurred, scientists said "this is a huge design problem." But that would require upending an energy platform, abandoning a major business, and admitting error. No way that would happen...
8...so instead, the Soviets took the ridiculous position of blaming human error - as if the fact that a small human error could cause a meltdown made it any better. Science did not fit ideology, so science was belittled. Scientists were deemed wrong, stupid, not good Russians...
9...and people who were not patriots to the country. The lawyers and politicians were instead held out as the experts, who in turn trotted out a few mediocre scientists - or ones devoted to Communist Party - to contradict the truth.

Doesn't this sound familiar? This is where...
10...we are. We cannot expect reason, facts or science to penetrate the GOP leadership. This is about ideology, belief and preservation of power and position. This is not a Soviet failing. It is in the realm of human failing. And it has infested the GOP.

Tell me this isn't right.  And part of the disinformation campaign is to take everything you're doing and accuse your political opponents of doing it first. We're seeing this every single day.
  • Plus1 2
  • Thanks 4
  • Fire 1
1 hour ago, TGHusker said:

Like you and I have said, the GOP no longer can claim any type of moral high ground on any issue.  

The next time they try to bring up some type of corruption they think the Dems are doing, they should be looked at like they are a bunch of idiots.

• Plus1 3

4 hours ago, knapplc said:

Tell me this isn't right.  And part of the disinformation campaign is to take everything you're doing and accuse your political opponents of doing it first. We're seeing this every single day

It is correct and it sounds like the cult that it is.  I'll keep beating this drum since I almost came close to joining a cult when I was young - I can tell one when I see one.  This is a political cult and it demands loyalty, it demands homogenized thought and speech, it reacts to all deviant thought and authority that is not approved by the cult,  it denies the obvious and believes the indefensible, it slings arrows of moral outrage while it is involved in morally corrupt activity itself, it shuns those who dare to think differently, or act differently and who will not bow down to its dogma and leader.  

It has been amazing over the past 2 years to watch one GOP 'leader' after another fall all over themselves to show that they are a true believer, a GOP patriot.  It points out how remarkable a few Congressional resisters really were when they were called up to support Trump or not - John McCain being the chief one. 

• Plus1 1
  • 4 weeks later...
2 hours ago, BigRedBuster said:

He's extremely pathetic, at any rate. Probably the best example of those in the GOP who are willing to sell out their principles to hold onto power.

He's getting a serious challenger in 2020 - a  previous chair of the South Carolina Democratic party who is fairly well known. Let's all hope Lindsey loses.

• Plus1 2
  • 5 months later...

Reposting here from @QMany's post in the Republican thread.

This guys showed up politely and engaged Graham in good faith. He lured him in by explaining their shared military background.

As soon as he voiced concerns about Trump, Graham bailed out and immediately headed for the door. You can watch Graham's spine melt in real time.

This is the utter rot that is systematically destroying the GOP. They cannot defend this man on the merits. They cannot engage in reasonable conversation. They have to stick to their bogus talking points and avoid any actual honest conversation because it would expose them.

• Plus1 4

9 minutes ago, Moiraine said:

What is it though?

Honestly, if a photo surfaces of Graham having anal sex with a Democrat, it still wouldn't look as "bad" as what he's doing now.

I've heard rumors about him and underaged partners.  Who knows though, I feel like it would have to be something pretty significant for him to do what he's doing.

Couldn't give two rips about Graham's sexuality, as long as everything is consensual.

Occam's Razor probably explains it well enough. He's just a spineless old man who wants to hold onto his powerful job ad knows in order to do so he has to grovel and debase himself in order to kiss Trump's a$$. Either he doesn't sense how pathetic it looks to the outside world or he's incapable of feeling shame.

Either way dude is a joke.

• Plus1 3
  • 2 weeks later...