Injury Reports Coming to College Football?

For the first time, the NCAA may enact a rule that requires college coaches to release injury information about players during the week of a game.

The potential decision will come at the recommendation of the NCAA Gambling Working Group, sources told CBS Sports' Dennis Dodd. "Later this month, the working group will propose a pilot program that would have coaches list players as "available," "possible" or "unavailable" for that week's game without mentioning a specific body part or injury," Dodd wrote.

Previously, coaches were not forced to divulge injury information about players. Part of that was due to the Family Educational Rights Privacy Act (FERPA) and the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA), federal laws that protect the privacy of a student's medical records. The fact that the new proposal would not include specifics about a player's injury may shield the NCAA from violating those laws.

The NCAA Gambling Working Group has been examining measures "to protect game integrity, monitor betting activity, manage sports data and expand educational efforts" since last year, when the Supreme Court overturned the 1992 Professional and Amateur Sports Protection Act (PAPSA). The act outlawed sports betting nationwide, save for a select number of states — such as Nevada — but since the Supreme Court decision Delaware, New Jersey, Mississippi, West Virginia, Pennsylvania and Rhode Island have fully legalized sports betting. Washington D.C. is also included in that group, and states such as Iowa, Indiana, Tennessee and Montana all have pending legislation that could soon make sports betting legal.

I think mandatory injury reports for CFB is a terrible idea. I know why gamblers and sports books would like them but I'd just as soon see that contained to the NFL. I'm really at a loss as to why the NCAA feels it is a good idea. Not a good look imo. As it is outlined in that article, I guess the answer would be to list every single player as "Possible" every week of the season.

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Fire 1
51 minutes ago, JJ Husker said:

I think mandatory injury reports for CFB is a terrible idea. I know why gamblers and sports books would like them but I'd just as soon see that contained to the NFL. I'm really at a loss as to why the NCAA feels it is a good idea. Not a good look imo. As it is outlined in that article, I guess the answer would be to list every single player as "Possible" every week of the season.

I am a complete 180 from you.  I don't see anything wrong with CFB teams having a standard injury report.  Its ridiculous that some coaches hold injury information like they are government classified material.  

• Plus1 3
7 minutes ago, Red Five said:

I am a complete 180 from you.  I don't see anything wrong with CFB teams having a standard injury report.  Its ridiculous that some coaches hold injury information like they are government classified material.  

For what it's worth, I used to bet on CFB a lot. There is only one reason for injury reports and that is gambling. I just find it highly hypocritical and suspicious that the NCAA would want to cater to that industry.

I can think of multiple reasons why a coach or player would not want injuries made public. I can only come up with one reason for mandating it's release and that reason should have nothing to do with college sports.

• Plus1 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Fire 1

23 minutes ago, Frostberg said:

The athletes are not being paid - their "availability" should not be made public.

I was just going to say that.  There is a huge difference between how an NFL player's information should/could be handled when he's making millions compared to an amateur athlete whose getting paid a scholarship to go to school.

The NCAA is going to have some major issues with privacy if they push this through.

I see no reason for it.

2 hours ago, Hedley Lamarr said:

Can they also release the STI reports for the entire student body please? I really want to know the medical history of everyone receiving scholarship dollars from the school. 

I'm sure you're interested in historical data then also.  I had a nagging groin injury from flag football in 2006 while on scholarship. 

By far the most interesting thing to happen to that region the whole year. 

I would just like someone to give me one good reason that any college players injury status should be made public knowledge.

I think we're all reasonable enough to realize that specific injury or health information is nobody's business except that player but why do we even need to know if they're available, possible or unavailable? In what possible way does this advance the sport or the interest of student athletes?

6 hours ago, JJ Husker said:

I would just like someone to give me one good reason that any college players injury status should be made public knowledge.

I think we're all reasonable enough to realize that specific injury or health information is nobody's business except that player but why do we even need to know if they're available, possible or unavailable? In what possible way does this advance the sport or the interest of student athletes?

I think the article at the top gave a good reason - for gambling purposes.  Now, you may not agree with that, but I think that it is a good reason.

Also on a personal reason, I just want to stick it to coaches who guard every piece of information in their programs like they are state secrets.