Injury Reports Coming to College Football?

On 5/1/2019 at 6:46 PM, JJ Husker said:

I think mandatory injury reports for CFB is a terrible idea. I know why gamblers and sports books would like them but I'd just as soon see that contained to the NFL. I'm really at a loss as to why the NCAA feels it is a good idea. Not a good look imo. As it is outlined in that article, I guess the answer would be to list every single player as "Possible" every week of the season.

And every player will be wearing a walking boot

8 hours ago, JJ Husker said:

I would just like someone to give me one good reason that any college players injury status should be made public knowledge.

I think we're all reasonable enough to realize that specific injury or health information is nobody's business except that player but why do we even need to know if they're available, possible or unavailable? In what possible way does this advance the sport or the interest of student athletes?

Transparency is the reason we will get from the NCAA - ie) to make sure college coaches and training staffs are properly treating players and not rushing them back into action. It will allow more NCAA oversight into players injuries and recovery time parameters.

Also, the big winners are local journalist as it provides another topic to discuss and publish (not to say injuries aren't already discussed but if there was a day the reports were to be submitted it provides another topic to publish and analyze). 

1 hour ago, Red Five said:

I think the article at the top gave a good reason - for gambling purposes.  Now, you may not agree with that, but I think that it is a good reason.

Also on a personal reason, I just want to stick it to coaches who guard every piece of information in their programs like they are state secrets.

I agree the only reason is for gambling. But why is it of any interest to the NCAA to accommodate that?  I just really can't fathom how this can possibly be within their area of concern.

And you've mentioned a couple times about coaches (Frost) guarding injury info like state secrets. Forget about their choice to do it, why shouldn't they have to? HIPPA requires that level of privacy for every person in this country. Are you complaining about the guys that don't protect that info or the ones that do?

2 minutes ago, bugeater17 said:

Transparency is the reason we will get from the NCAA - ie) to make sure college coaches and training staffs are properly treating players and not rushing them back into action. It will allow more NCAA oversight into players injuries and recovery time parameters.

Also, the big winners are local journalist as it provides another topic to discuss and publish (not to say injuries aren't already discussed but if there was a day the reports were to be submitted it provides another topic to publish and analyze). 

These are the best reasons I've seen yet, but one is a lie and the other is just throwing a bone to a pack of vultures.

The "why" of the 5 Ws is hardly touched on in the article. 

If injury information is not readily available, illicit gamblers could potentially bribe people with inside information about players or teams in order to gain an unfair advantage. A standardized injury report across the NCAA may alleviate some of those concerns.

It seems to be quite an aggressive approach for a problem that I perceive as being rather small.

2 hours ago, Gage County said:

The "why" of the 5 Ws is hardly touched on in the article. 

It seems to be quite an aggressive approach for a problem that I perceive as being rather small.

I agree. And what concern is it of the NCAA if a cheating gambler does get inside info and does gain an unfair gambling advantage? Seems they're trying to fix a minor problem that doesn't/shouldn't concern them at all.

6 hours ago, Red Five said:

I think the article at the top gave a good reason - for gambling purposes.  Now, you may not agree with that, but I think that it is a good reason.

Also on a personal reason, I just want to stick it to coaches who guard every piece of information in their programs like they are state secrets.

What if parents or players prefer to keep it private?

• Plus1 1

The article states above that it won't list the specific injury/body part.  I mean 90% of the time fans of a program know about injuries in these generalities anyways, so the list is basically just a formality,  so I don't see the harm in making it a formal thing.

So are y'all against all injury reports?  Or just ok with it for professional sports?  If/when the players start getting paid would that change your minds?

Also about coaches and state secrets, its just not the injury stuff, there is a lot of other crap they do to try to "keep everything in house" that seems ridiculous to me (closed practices to media, not allowing coordinators to talk, not allowing certain players to talk, not publishing depth charts).

34 minutes ago, WyoHusker56 said:

I'm willing to bet that like 75% of starters are "possible" halfway through the year. That's how coaches will get around it. Every bruise makes a player possible. 

I think you mean 'probable'.  Otherwise we're about to go down an intense existential rabbit hole.

• Haha 1
5 hours ago, Red Five said:

The article states above that it won't list the specific injury/body part.  I mean 90% of the time fans of a program know about injuries in these generalities anyways, so the list is basically just a formality,  so I don't see the harm in making it a formal thing.

So are y'all against all injury reports?  Or just ok with it for professional sports?  If/when the players start getting paid would that change your minds?

Also about coaches and state secrets, its just not the injury stuff, there is a lot of other crap they do to try to "keep everything in house" that seems ridiculous to me (closed practices to media, not allowing coordinators to talk, not allowing certain players to talk, not publishing depth charts).

If I was a CFB coach I'd try to keep every competitive advantage I could. I would give the bare minimum info on injuries and playing status. I'd close as many practices from the media as I could (while still maintaining some semblance of happiness for the local beat guys and fans). Depending on the circumstances, I'd limit or prohibit certain players or staff from talking to the press. In short, I'd do everything possible to make it as tough as possible for our future opponents to know what to expect. 

Sure that may not be the most fan friendly way to go but I'd toe that line as close as I could get away with. I don't see how that type of behavior is not to be expected. In a profession where you can lose your job after multiple consecutive 9 win seasons and where your livelyhood is directly tied to winning, how can this be any sort of surprise. Heck I'd be angry if a coach (like Frost) wasn't putting the team in the best possible position to win. I can accept much less information as a fan if I know it's for the greater good.