ILB Rodney Groce, Jr. [Mississippi State - Signed LOI]

HuskerBoard Predictor  

63 members have voted

1. 1. To which school will Groce commit?

This poll is closed to new votes

• Mavric changed the title to ILB Rodney Groce, Jr. [Mississippi State - Signed LOI]
37 minutes ago, Wordek said:

Mike Leach to Mississippi State. Probably a big enough hire to keep their recruiting class together. 

Is he? He was innovative 15 years ago but he doesn't prioritize recruiting when he hires assistants, he doesn't do much to help his players be ready for the NFL off the field and has no idea defense is even a thing you should try to be good at.

If I'm a WR or RB maybe, If I'm a QB absolutely, but if I'm a defensive player I'm looking for a way out of town.

1 hour ago, Blackshirt316 said:

Is he? He was innovative 15 years ago but he doesn't prioritize recruiting when he hires assistants, he doesn't do much to help his players be ready for the NFL off the field and has no idea defense is even a thing you should try to be good at.

If I'm a WR or RB maybe, If I'm a QB absolutely, but if I'm a defensive player I'm looking for a way out of town.

Alex Grinch says hello. I know OU's D wasn't great this year but Grinch is widely thought of as one of the best young D coordinators. 

• Plus1 1

17 hours ago, bugeater17 said:

Hmmm... it has everything to do with your post about Mike Leach not prioritizing recruiting assistants or any idea about defense. He had a pretty dang good defensive coordinator in Alex Grinch from 2015-17.

So you are going to take a guy who has been a head coach for 20 years and because he had a fairly good defensive coordinator for 2 years a couple seasons ago, he cares about defense all of a sudden? Please.

Especially considering the way Grinch got the job with Leach in the first place. Grinch had never been more than a defensive backs coach before then, and was hired by Leach almost completely on the recommendation of/as a favor to his buddy Gary Pinkel, Grinch's uncle.  

Also a part of the reason Grinch was seen as such a good DC was because of how bad Leach's Defenses usually are. Under Grinch they still were 74th, 50th and 58th in defensive points against in his 3 seasons there. He's a really good Defensive coach, but look at him compared to someone else. Namely our Defensive Coordinator.

Grinch took the 117th worst defense and got them to 74th his first year. Against a Strength of Schedule of 74th

Chin took the 116th worst defense and got them to 88th in his first year. Against a Strength of Schedule of 26th

Grinch got WSU down to 50th in his 2nd year. Against a Strength of Schedule of 34th

Chin got Nebraska down to 66th in his 2nd year. Against a Strength of Schedule of 25th

Grinch in his 3rd year regressed. WSU finished 58th in ppg against a Strength of Schedule of 56th.

Chin is going into his 3rd year. If next year Nebraska's Defense regresses and Scott Frost fires Chin and gives the Defensive Coordinator job to Barrett Ruud and told him to run the defense and call plays, would you say Frost is showing he cares about turning around his defense?

Last year after Clayes resigned with the 107th ranked defense in the country, Leach instead of going out and hiring an actual replacement gave the job to co-defensive coordinators:

CO-DC A had a single year as a quality control intern at North Texas, a single year as a quality control coach at WSU and a single year of actual coaching experience as a DB coach before getting the WSU Coordinator job. 

CO-DC B had 25+ years of coaching experience and had been a pretty good Defensive Coordinator at 3 different schools while moving up the coaching ladder from D2 to CUSA and then the MAC before getting the WSU Linebacker/co-dc job. 

Leach gave the primary DC title and play-calling duties to C0-DC A. 

Think about that. His Defensive Coordinator was so ashamed he resigned after blowing a 49-17 lead at home to UCLA in a game where the UCLA QB threw a record 9 touchdowns, and Leach's brilliant decision to fix his defense was to turn that unit over to a guy who had literally a single year of coaching experience at any level.  Ruud has more than double the coaching experience right now than the guy Leach gave that job to last season.

2 hours ago, Blackshirt316 said:

So you are going to take a guy who has been a head coach for 20 years and because he had a fairly good defensive coordinator for 2 years a couple seasons ago, he cares about defense all of a sudden? Please.

Especially considering the way Grinch got the job with Leach in the first place. Grinch had never been more than a defensive backs coach before then, and was hired by Leach almost completely on the recommendation of/as a favor to his buddy Gary Pinkel, Grinch's uncle.  

Also a part of the reason Grinch was seen as such a good DC was because of how bad Leach's Defenses usually are. Under Grinch they still were 74th, 50th and 58th in defensive points against in his 3 seasons there. He's a really good Defensive coach, but look at him compared to someone else. Namely our Defensive Coordinator.

Grinch took the 117th worst defense and got them to 74th his first year. Against a Strength of Schedule of 74th

Chin took the 116th worst defense and got them to 88th in his first year. Against a Strength of Schedule of 26th

Grinch got WSU down to 50th in his 2nd year. Against a Strength of Schedule of 34th

Chin got Nebraska down to 66th in his 2nd year. Against a Strength of Schedule of 25th

Grinch in his 3rd year regressed. WSU finished 58th in ppg against a Strength of Schedule of 56th.

Chin is going into his 3rd year. If next year Nebraska's Defense regresses and Scott Frost fires Chin and gives the Defensive Coordinator job to Barrett Ruud and told him to run the defense and call plays, would you say Frost is showing he cares about turning around his defense?

Last year after Clayes resigned with the 107th ranked defense in the country, Leach instead of going out and hiring an actual replacement gave the job to co-defensive coordinators:

CO-DC A had a single year as a quality control intern at North Texas, a single year as a quality control coach at WSU and a single year of actual coaching experience as a DB coach before getting the WSU Coordinator job. 

CO-DC B had 25+ years of coaching experience and had been a pretty good Defensive Coordinator at 3 different schools while moving up the coaching ladder from D2 to CUSA and then the MAC before getting the WSU Linebacker/co-dc job. 

Leach gave the primary DC title and play-calling duties to C0-DC A. 

Think about that. His Defensive Coordinator was so ashamed he resigned after blowing a 49-17 lead at home to UCLA in a game where the UCLA QB threw a record 9 touchdowns, and Leach's brilliant decision to fix his defense was to turn that unit over to a guy who had literally a single year of coaching experience at any level.  Ruud has more than double the coaching experience right now than the guy Leach gave that job to last season.

I'm confused, is he (Grinch) a really good defensive coach or not? In fact, Grinch may be the next coach at WASU.

56 minutes ago, bugeater17 said:

I'm confused, is he (Grinch) a really good defensive coach or not? In fact, Grinch may be the next coach at WASU.

He's a really good defensive coach. I think what you are asking is if he a really good Coordinator?

He took an awful defense to being not awful. But he's never put together an elite defense even against weaker conpetition at WSU or with elite talent at OSU or OU. He's also never been anywhere for more than 3 years. I would say no he's not a great DC but he's above average.

My question back would be do you think Chins is a really good defensive coordinator? Statistically he's on par (if not better) than Grinch.

Personally I think it's close, but I would say if Nebraska's defense is better this year than last year Chins is better than Grinch. 

• Haha 1
  • 1 year later...