Electoral reforms - what is needed?

1 hour ago, RedDenver said:

Here's a proposal for a new Constitutional Amendment that deals with money in politics, Electoral College, voter representation, and voting reform. (I've only skimmed the article and haven't delved into the details yet.)

I'm good with everything on that list except for the "reallocate Senate seats" part. Despite being somewhat archaic, I'm good with each state (plus DC, PR, and possibly even Guam, American Samoa, and US Virgin Islands) having two Senators each. Assuming the House increases/decreases its membership from each state appropriately to represent population shifts, I still think each state should have equal power in at least one branch of the government. And depending on the day, I might even be convinced to overturn the 17th Amendment an return Senate appointment to state legislatures.

• Plus1 2
1 hour ago, schriznoeder said:

I'm good with everything on that list except for the "reallocate Senate seats" part. Despite being somewhat archaic, I'm good with each state (plus DC, PR, and possibly even Guam, American Samoa, and US Virgin Islands) having two Senators each. Assuming the House increases/decreases its membership from each state appropriately to represent population shifts, I still think each state should have equal power in at least one branch of the government. And depending on the day, I might even be convinced to overturn the 17th Amendment an return Senate appointment to state legislatures.

I'd swap the Senate and House so that things like SC appointments get confirmed by the House instead of the Senate, but yes I wouldn't change how the Senate has 2 reps from each state. I'm opposed to overturning the 17th Amendment though. 17th is an improvement in democracy, overturning it is anti-democratic.

• Plus1 2