Huskers Land Grad Transfer WR From Cal

1 hour ago, MyBloodIsRed16 said:

I wouldn't say Kade Warner is unproven.  I feel like he caught most of what was thrown to him and usually had defenders right there to try to make a play.  Did he have a ton of yards....no.  but he can catch 

I hope he's unproven. Because if we're saying his current numbers prove who he is, he's a receiver who averages 5.6 yards per catch. I think another year with S&C will help, and ideally he's not the target on bubble screens as we get more athletes like Wan'Dale. But I'm definitely hoping Warner takes his game to another level, because we're not competing if 17 catches for less than 100 yards is considered proven depth.

• Plus1 1

31 minutes ago, Husker in WI said:

I hope he's unproven. Because if we're saying his current numbers prove who he is, he's a receiver who averages 5.6 yards per catch. I think another year with S&C will help, and ideally he's not the target on bubble screens as we get more athletes like Wan'Dale. But I'm definitely hoping Warner takes his game to another level, because we're not competing if 17 catches for less than 100 yards is considered proven depth.

Warner had solid numbers for a walk-on when the top of the depth chart included two studs like Morgan and Spielman. No one is counting on Kade Warner to put the team on his back. No need to bag on the kid.

He did more than a lot of other unproven guys. Hoping those other guys and the newcomers step up and make some plays this year.

• Plus1 1
50 minutes ago, Ulty said:

Warner had solid numbers for a walk-on when the top of the depth chart included two studs like Morgan and Spielman. No one is counting on Kade Warner to put the team on his back. No need to bag on the kid.

He did more than a lot of other unproven guys. Hoping those other guys and the newcomers step up and make some plays this year.

I think Warner will take a step forward this year, and he contributed last year where some of the expected guys did not - particularly the JUCOs. I'm just saying that's a low bar if we're considering Warner's production proven. I definitely expect him to have a role, can't have enough skill position guys in this offense and you can trust him to block and catch - that's probably more what was meant by saying "proven."

In any case, I'm excited about Noa. I'm sure at least a couple out of Warner, Williams, Woodyard, Hunt, and McQuitty (not to mention the freshmen) will take big steps forward this year, but I like adding someone with P5 production.

6 hours ago, Husker in WI said:

To put that number in perspective, of players with 10 or more catches for Nebraska last year, that was just over 3 yards per catch less than the next lowest player and the only non-RB in that set with less than 10 ypc.

16 hours ago, MyBloodIsRed16 said:

If people go back and watch film you will notice most of Warnere targets were probably at the 3-5 yard range.  There were plenty of times when he was standing at the 10-12 yard range wide open and the ball went to a well covered Stanely Morgan.  He's better than some give credit 

I'm kind of glad Morgan is gone and we really only have one proven weapon. This will force Martinez to find his open man instead of tossing it to his bail out guy.

• Plus1 1
29 minutes ago, Nebfanatic said:

I'm kind of glad Morgan is gone and we really only have one proven weapon. This will force Martinez to find his open man instead of tossing it to his bail out guy.

What?  How many times did Martinez randomly chuck it up to his bail out guy?  I must have missed that.  

• Plus1 3
41 minutes ago, swmohusker said:

What?  How many times did Martinez randomly chuck it up to his bail out guy?  I must have missed that.  

I didn't see it alot but it would happen. I was more referring to @MyBloodIsRed16 post, which is a situation I saw a few times. Martinez was a frosh so it makes sense he would force some balls to Stanley at times. I think he will take it to another level this season to where he is always finding the wide open guy. 

That still seems like a pretty extreme opinion - I'm excited to see what the new guys can do, but I don't even see a silver lining in Stanley being gone. He's the kind of receiver you can force the ball to. I don't recall seeing wide open receivers on plays where it was forced to Stanley, but I'm sure it did happen. I can't blame Martinez though, and frankly more experienced QBs probably would have forced it to him more, not less.