Huskers Land Grad Transfer WR From Cal

Ok I'm not glad Stanelys gone but what I meant was it will give Martinez more room to be the weapon. Do you remember any recievers from the Ducks during Mariotas Jr. year? No one topped 1000 yards and their best guy was a freshman. When this offense is at its best you don't have a favorite target. The QB is a master facilitator who gets the ball to an array of weapons in the most efficient manner. That wasn't Martinez all of the time last year, though he showed the potential to be that player. Being forced into a leadership position this year as the de facto weapon on offense outside of JD could help expidite that process. Pressure makes diamonds. I guess what I'm really saying is he needs to turn into that guy this year if we want this offense to take a leap.

9 minutes ago, Nebfanatic said:

Ok I'm not glad Stanelys gone but what I meant was it will give Martinez more room to be the weapon. Do you remember any recievers from the Ducks during Mariotas Jr. year? No one topped 1000 yards and their best guy was a freshman. When this offense is at its best you don't have a favorite target. The QB is a master facilitator who gets the ball to an array of weapons in the most efficient manner. That wasn't Martinez all of the time last year, though he showed the potential to be that player. Being forced into a leadership position this year as the de facto weapon on offense outside of JD could help expidite that process. Pressure makes diamonds. I guess what I'm really saying is he needs to turn into that guy this year if we want this offense to take a leap.

Stanley was AM's bail out guy because he didn't really have anyone else besides JD. I'd still keep the alpha male #1 target who requires a double team in this years offense or any Nebraska offense.

• Plus1 1
1 hour ago, Nebfanatic said:

No one topped 1000 yards and their best guy was a freshman. When this offense is at its best you don't have a favorite target.

Byron Marshall, their hybrid RB/WR, had 74 catches for 1003 yards that year (2014).

The next highest reception total was 43.

The point isn’t as much how many you target a specific guy, but how many total threats does the defense have to account. Mariota clearly had a favorite target that year, but they also had 7 guys with more than 20 catches. Nebraska had 2 guys with more than 24 last year, with third and fourth being Mo and Ozigbo. That’s a big problem regardless of whom those two guys are.

• Plus1 1
3 minutes ago, brophog said:

Byron Marshall, their hybrid RB/WR, had 74 catches for 1003 yards that year (2014).

The next highest reception total was 43.

The point isn’t as much how many you target a specific guy, but how many total threats does the defense have to account. Mariota clearly had a favorite target that year, but they also had 7 guys with more than 20 catches. Nebraska had 2 guys with more than 24 last year, with third and fourth being Mo and Ozigbo. That’s a big problem regardless of whom those two guys are.

Ahh missed Marshall as I had sorted by position group, thats my bad. I'll respectfully bow out of this one :dumdum

• 2 months later...

19 hours ago, Moiraine said:

It doesn't always work out. It'd be nice if we picked someone good up.

I would feel real good about this one. Watching him at Cal, he just does what he’s supposed to do. If that’s blocking, or fighting for a first down, or blowing by a guy for a TD. His play there matches up with what we heard about him at media day. I’m hoping he’s not only a guy that contributes on the field, but can be a leader to these younger guys that need to learn what it takes to be productive.

4 hours ago, brophog said:

I would feel real good about this one. Watching him at Cal, he just does what he’s supposed to do. If that’s blocking, or fighting for a first down, or blowing by a guy for a TD. His play there matches up with what we heard about him at media day. I’m hoping he’s not only a guy that contributes on the field, but can be a leader to these younger guys that need to learn what it takes to be productive.

I agree and think this guy can guy can replicate a decent chunk of Stan's production from last year.  I'd sign up for 50% of Stan's production from last year today.  Cal's QB situation was a total mess in 2018 which explains why his production fell off a cliff.

7 hours ago, Xmas32 said:

I agree and think this guy can guy can replicate a decent chunk of Stan's production from last year.  I'd sign up for 50% of Stan's production from last year today.  Cal's QB situation was a total mess in 2018 which explains why his production fell off a cliff.

He also battled injuries and, imo, the offensive play calling did him few favors.

• Plus1 1