seaofred92

Huskers Land Grad Transfer WR From Cal

Originally a mid-three star recruit in the Class of 2015 from Honolulu.

Played in 8 games last year, catching 30 passes for 369 yards and 2 TDs.  Played 11 games two years ago catching 56 passes for 788 yards and 4 TDs.

Good pickup.   From a draft site it said he runs a 4.59 and is a shade over 5-11.     Looks like he can make tough catches.  He catches a lot of balls in the short to medium depth range and between the hashes.    Films showed him playing a lot in the slot.   I don't think Cal used 11 personnel much and I suspect he will be more of a Z for us.   Looks like he is good at running combination routes. 

• Upvote 1

Receiver productivity is highly dependent upon quarterback and offensive line play. Here’s hoping he realizes a big upgrade over Cal in those departments!

2 hours ago, flatwaterfan said:

Good pickup.   From a draft site it said he runs a 4.59 and is a shade over 5-11.     Looks like he can make tough catches.  He catches a lot of balls in the short to medium depth range and between the hashes.    Films showed him playing a lot in the slot.   I don't think Cal used 11 personnel much and I suspect he will be more of a Z for us.   Looks like he is good at running combination routes. 

Is that 4.59 an electronic time?

11 minutes ago, Scarlet Overkill said:

Solid highlights from 2017.   No one has put together anything from last year that i can see.

He's not a "take the top off of the defense" type of player, but he's got some circus catches and seems to find the soft spots in coverage.

• Plus1 1

18 minutes ago, theknife said:

He's not a "take the top off of the defense" type of player, but he's got some circus catches and seems to find the soft spots in coverage.

And that is a good role for him to have, to be honest.  Plus, I’m sure Tiuoti would have told Frost to pump the brakes if it wasn’t worth the scholarship, so I’m good with this all around.

Nice addition. Among other things, Noa gives us another reliable option on 3rd and long. 

Looks like a solid addition.  The video shows him making difficult catches with defenders all over him.  Doesn't appear to be too slow or too fast but having sure hands in those situations and willing to take a hit is invaluable.  He does a great job protecting the ball too.  Someone coached him well.

Do you guys see him as more of a...

Nate Swift type?

Todd Peterson type?

Jordan Westerkamp type?

Brandon Reilly type?

or Kade Warner type?

• Plus1 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Eyeroll 1

On 5/12/2019 at 10:27 PM, Landlord said:

Nate Swift type?

Todd Peterson type?

Jordan Westerkamp type?

Brandon Reilly type?

or Kade Warner type?

Sam McKewon says he sees a little Westerkamp. 

Frost is two-for-two recruiting guys named Noa this year, right?

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, Landlord said:

Nate Swift type?

Todd Peterson type?

Jordan Westerkamp type?

Brandon Reilly type?

or Kade Warner type?

With a family name like Noa, I'd say he's much more of a Helu type player.....

9 hours ago, Landlord said:

Nate Swift type?

Todd Peterson type?

Jordan Westerkamp type?

Brandon Reilly type?

or Kade Warner type?

Frantz Hardy, but he can catch!

• Confused 1

37 minutes ago, theknife said:

Frantz Hardy, but he can catch!

Terrance Nunn, but he doesn't fumble!

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, 4skers89 said:

Looks like a solid addition.  The video shows him making difficult catches with defenders all over him.  Doesn't appear to be too slow or too fast but having sure hands in those situations and willing to take a hit is invaluable.  He does a great job protecting the ball too.  Someone coached him well.

that's what i saw too...looks like a dependable guy for am

11 hours ago, Landlord said:

Nate Swift type?

Todd Peterson type?

Jordan Westerkamp type?

Brandon Reilly type?

or Kade Warner type?

Think if Westerkamp and Reilly had a child. That’s Noa. 

Solid hands and can catch in traffic, also runs a good seam route. I can see some Westy as well. A good possession receiver

1 hour ago, Waldo said:

Think if Westerkamp and Reilly had a child. That’s Noa. 

With Frantz Hardy as the step dad. 

Has a nose for the sticks for sure.  Made some well defended catches too.  Something about Poly guys.  Can't have too many methinks.  Thank you Coach Tiuoti!

23 hours ago, Landlord said:

Nate Swift type?

Todd Peterson type?

Jordan Westerkamp type?

Brandon Reilly type?

or Kade Warner type?

I was thinking Kyler Reed

12 hours ago, Dewiz said:

I was thinking Kyler Reed

Hmmmm.....Actually, when I watched his film, my first thought was a good pass catching, athletic tight end also.  

59 minutes ago, Red Five said:

I wouldn't say Kade Warner is unproven.  I feel like he caught most of what was thrown to him and usually had defenders right there to try to make a play.  Did he have a ton of yards....no.  but he can catch 

• Plus1 1

1 hour ago, MyBloodIsRed16 said:

I wouldn't say Kade Warner is unproven.  I feel like he caught most of what was thrown to him and usually had defenders right there to try to make a play.  Did he have a ton of yards....no.  but he can catch 

I hope he's unproven. Because if we're saying his current numbers prove who he is, he's a receiver who averages 5.6 yards per catch. I think another year with S&C will help, and ideally he's not the target on bubble screens as we get more athletes like Wan'Dale. But I'm definitely hoping Warner takes his game to another level, because we're not competing if 17 catches for less than 100 yards is considered proven depth.

• Plus1 1

31 minutes ago, Husker in WI said:

I hope he's unproven. Because if we're saying his current numbers prove who he is, he's a receiver who averages 5.6 yards per catch. I think another year with S&C will help, and ideally he's not the target on bubble screens as we get more athletes like Wan'Dale. But I'm definitely hoping Warner takes his game to another level, because we're not competing if 17 catches for less than 100 yards is considered proven depth.

Warner had solid numbers for a walk-on when the top of the depth chart included two studs like Morgan and Spielman. No one is counting on Kade Warner to put the team on his back. No need to bag on the kid.

He did more than a lot of other unproven guys. Hoping those other guys and the newcomers step up and make some plays this year.

• Plus1 1

50 minutes ago, Ulty said:

Warner had solid numbers for a walk-on when the top of the depth chart included two studs like Morgan and Spielman. No one is counting on Kade Warner to put the team on his back. No need to bag on the kid.

He did more than a lot of other unproven guys. Hoping those other guys and the newcomers step up and make some plays this year.

I think Warner will take a step forward this year, and he contributed last year where some of the expected guys did not - particularly the JUCOs. I'm just saying that's a low bar if we're considering Warner's production proven. I definitely expect him to have a role, can't have enough skill position guys in this offense and you can trust him to block and catch - that's probably more what was meant by saying "proven."

In any case, I'm excited about Noa. I'm sure at least a couple out of Warner, Williams, Woodyard, Hunt, and McQuitty (not to mention the freshmen) will take big steps forward this year, but I like adding someone with P5 production.

If people go back and watch film you will notice most of Warnere targets were probably at the 3-5 yard range.  There were plenty of times when he was standing at the 10-12 yard range wide open and the ball went to a well covered Stanely Morgan.  He's better than some give credit 

• Plus1 1

6 hours ago, Husker in WI said:

To put that number in perspective, of players with 10 or more catches for Nebraska last year, that was just over 3 yards per catch less than the next lowest player and the only non-RB in that set with less than 10 ypc.

The coaches have said Kade knows the offense as well as anyone. He blocks and runs solid routes. He is never going to be a game changer, but he will have a place in this offense. 

• Plus1 1

16 hours ago, MyBloodIsRed16 said:

If people go back and watch film you will notice most of Warnere targets were probably at the 3-5 yard range.  There were plenty of times when he was standing at the 10-12 yard range wide open and the ball went to a well covered Stanely Morgan.  He's better than some give credit 

I'm kind of glad Morgan is gone and we really only have one proven weapon. This will force Martinez to find his open man instead of tossing it to his bail out guy.

• Confused 1

sorry, but one proven receiver is not a benefit in my mind....would rather have 2 Stanleys and 2 Spielmans!

they got their numbers by being productive and as "go to guys".....Warner should get better this season, but i seriously doubt he will approach SM numbers.

• Eyeroll 1

29 minutes ago, Nebfanatic said:

I'm kind of glad Morgan is gone and we really only have one proven weapon. This will force Martinez to find his open man instead of tossing it to his bail out guy.

What?  How many times did Martinez randomly chuck it up to his bail out guy?  I must have missed that.  

• Plus1 3

41 minutes ago, swmohusker said:

What?  How many times did Martinez randomly chuck it up to his bail out guy?  I must have missed that.  

I didn't see it alot but it would happen. I was more referring to @MyBloodIsRed16 post, which is a situation I saw a few times. Martinez was a frosh so it makes sense he would force some balls to Stanley at times. I think he will take it to another level this season to where he is always finding the wide open guy. 

That still seems like a pretty extreme opinion - I'm excited to see what the new guys can do, but I don't even see a silver lining in Stanley being gone. He's the kind of receiver you can force the ball to. I don't recall seeing wide open receivers on plays where it was forced to Stanley, but I'm sure it did happen. I can't blame Martinez though, and frankly more experienced QBs probably would have forced it to him more, not less.

Ok I'm not glad Stanelys gone but what I meant was it will give Martinez more room to be the weapon. Do you remember any recievers from the Ducks during Mariotas Jr. year? No one topped 1000 yards and their best guy was a freshman. When this offense is at its best you don't have a favorite target. The QB is a master facilitator who gets the ball to an array of weapons in the most efficient manner. That wasn't Martinez all of the time last year, though he showed the potential to be that player. Being forced into a leadership position this year as the de facto weapon on offense outside of JD could help expidite that process. Pressure makes diamonds. I guess what I'm really saying is he needs to turn into that guy this year if we want this offense to take a leap.

9 minutes ago, Nebfanatic said:

Ok I'm not glad Stanelys gone but what I meant was it will give Martinez more room to be the weapon. Do you remember any recievers from the Ducks during Mariotas Jr. year? No one topped 1000 yards and their best guy was a freshman. When this offense is at its best you don't have a favorite target. The QB is a master facilitator who gets the ball to an array of weapons in the most efficient manner. That wasn't Martinez all of the time last year, though he showed the potential to be that player. Being forced into a leadership position this year as the de facto weapon on offense outside of JD could help expidite that process. Pressure makes diamonds. I guess what I'm really saying is he needs to turn into that guy this year if we want this offense to take a leap.

Stanley was AM's bail out guy because he didn't really have anyone else besides JD. I'd still keep the alpha male #1 target who requires a double team in this years offense or any Nebraska offense.

• Plus1 1

1 hour ago, Nebfanatic said:

No one topped 1000 yards and their best guy was a freshman. When this offense is at its best you don't have a favorite target.

Byron Marshall, their hybrid RB/WR, had 74 catches for 1003 yards that year (2014).

The next highest reception total was 43.

The point isn’t as much how many you target a specific guy, but how many total threats does the defense have to account. Mariota clearly had a favorite target that year, but they also had 7 guys with more than 20 catches. Nebraska had 2 guys with more than 24 last year, with third and fourth being Mo and Ozigbo. That’s a big problem regardless of whom those two guys are.

• Plus1 1

3 minutes ago, brophog said:

Byron Marshall, their hybrid RB/WR, had 74 catches for 1003 yards that year (2014).

The next highest reception total was 43.

The point isn’t as much how many you target a specific guy, but how many total threats does the defense have to account. Mariota clearly had a favorite target that year, but they also had 7 guys with more than 20 catches. Nebraska had 2 guys with more than 24 last year, with third and fourth being Mo and Ozigbo. That’s a big problem regardless of whom those two guys are.

Ahh missed Marshall as I had sorted by position group, thats my bad. I'll respectfully bow out of this one :dumdum