Michigan's John Beilein leaving to coach Cleveland

I don't understand this move by Beilein, he had an excellent situation at Michigan and then decides to go to the dumpster fire that is the Cleveland Cavaliers...I understand he was maybe ready for a new challenge but Cleveland would be the last place I'd go.

Just now, guf54 said:

I don't understand this move by Beilein, he had an excellent situation at Michigan and then decides to go to the dumpster fire that is the Cleveland Cavaliers...I understand he was maybe ready for a new challenge but Cleveland would be the last place I'd go.

66 years old...his "last chance" for the NBA and that last lotto ticket to take care of himself and his family forever.  

• Plus1 1

Beilein, was sick of the NCAA. He ran a clean program. Lost to a L'Ville team in a NC game that is under investigation by the FBI. No consequences other than firing their coach. I am hearing he is disenchanted with college hoops. 

Also hearing Donovan is the number one target. Not sure he would jump back to college however. Juwan Howard is a bit of a head scratcher.

19 hours ago, LumberJackSker said:

They must have really backed up the brinks truck. Having dan gilbert as a boss isn't a good thing.

Yeah I would imagine it's gotta be at least $5mm/year...he was making close to $4mm under his new deal.  I kinda get it from Beilein's side...he's getting a crack at the NBA with a really young team so his college style will translate decently well.  Plus Mike Gansey is Cleveland's Asst GM who played for Beilein at WVU so he's got the familiar face.  He can always go back to college one last time if he gets clipped early.  Or, he can take this one last nice pay bump and treat it public sector employees do when they pension spike.