Centr - Chris Hemsworth's app

Decided to try out Chris Hemsworth's (Thor's) new app Centr because I was looking for something to a) handhold me through working out and b) motivate me physically and mentally.

So far, I've been really impressed because it gives you multiple things every day: a full meal plan, a daily workout, a 'healthy lifestyle' article, a meditation routine, and access to trainers. There's also just plenty of content for living healthy, doing exercises properly, etc.

The app functions incredibly well and tailors workouts based on your goal, of which you can choose three - a 'cardio' plan, a weight loss plan and a muscle building plan. I'm going for the latter. In addition, it gives three full plans within those levels - beginner, intermediate and advanced. The workouts range from 30-50 min. depending on what level you choose, and there are videos and images to show you each workout. And the videos all play instantaneously in high quality - there's virtually no lag in the app.

The cons: it costs $20/month, so it's definitely an investment, though you can spend $112/year if you want to make the longer term commitment.

The meal plan also isn't super well optimized. The meal concepts are pretty great and diverse, but I wanted to make four servings of something that had quinoa in it (for meal prepping purposes) and it extrapolated the recipe from one cup of quinoa up to three. That's a crap-ton of quinoa and I knew that ahead of time so I only ended up doing about 1 1/2 cups. It also has some pretty off the wall things that call for expensive ingredients, so I'm doing a little customizing here and there while keeping to the core of the plan.

• Plus1 2
  • 1 month later...

On 5/13/2019 at 12:31 PM, Enhance said:

The meal plan also isn't super well optimized. The meal concepts are pretty great and diverse, but I wanted to make four servings of something that had quinoa in it (for meal prepping purposes) and it extrapolated the recipe from one cup of quinoa up to three. That's a crap-ton of quinoa and I knew that ahead of time so I only ended up doing about 1 1/2 cups. It also has some pretty off the wall things that call for expensive ingredients, so I'm doing a little customizing here and there while keeping to the core of the plan.

Another example of what I'm on about here. I made a Chicken Soup with Pesto last night that was tabbed as resulting in "two servings." However, among the ingredients listed were two full zucchinis (diced), two onions (diced), 7 oz, green beans, 11 oz. of diced chicken, six cups of chicken stock, etc. And, again, this was for "two servings."

Needless to say, the end result was an entire large pasta pot full of soup. One bowl was approx. 15 oz. and I had three in an attempt to eat half of what I made. More than half the recipe was left over by the time I was done and I was stuffed.

I think this all but confirms that I should probably not trust the serving sizes and just go off the eye test more than anything. Most recipes seem to work fine, but others seem waaaaay off.

On 7/10/2019 at 8:41 AM, Enhance said:

Another example of what I'm on about here. I made a Chicken Soup with Pesto last night that was tabbed as resulting in "two servings." However, among the ingredients listed were two full zucchinis (diced), two onions (diced), 7 oz, green beans, 11 oz. of diced chicken, six cups of chicken stock, etc. And, again, this was for "two servings."

Needless to say, the end result was an entire large pasta pot full of soup. One bowl was approx. 15 oz. and I had three in an attempt to eat half of what I made. More than half the recipe was left over by the time I was done and I was stuffed.

I think this all but confirms that I should probably not trust the serving sizes and just go off the eye test more than anything. Most recipes seem to work fine, but others seem waaaaay off.

Well, you are only a mortal.