NCAA taking first steps toward paying players for name, image, likeness

NCAA forms committee to examine name, image and likeness payments to athletes

For years, I, along with many others, have invited the NCAA to get in front of the amateurism debate before it sweeps them asunder. Several lawmakers are now threatening to get their brooms out. It appears the NCAA is starting to listen.

On Tuesday, the NCAA announced it has appointed a working group to “examine issues highlighted in recently proposed federal and state legislation related to student-athlete name, image and likeness.”

• Plus1 1

All I care about is that this brings back NCAA FOOTBALL for PS4.

But ya, it is crazy that the UNL book store could sell #3 uniforms and yet Martinez never saw that money. 

It would be interesting to see if this were to level out the playing field. Go somewhere and be the top guy and get jerseys sold, or go to Bama and be #9 or #10 of best players and not get anything sold with your name. 

• Plus1 1
8 minutes ago, Minnesota_husker said:

All I care about is that this brings back NCAA FOOTBALL for PS4.

But ya, it is crazy that the UNL book store could sell #3 uniforms and yet Martinez never saw that money. 

It would be interesting to see if this were to level out the playing field. Go somewhere and be the top guy and get jerseys sold, or go to Bama and be #9 or #10 of best players and not get anything sold with your name. 

I think this is what a large portion of people who aren't players and want this to happen care about, myself included.  The potential downside to this is that you ruin the amateur aspect of college sports and IMO, college sports are much better than the pros bc of that aspect.  I like professional sports but I would rather watch a college game than a pro game almost any day (aside from certain matchups).

• Plus1 2
20 minutes ago, RedSavage said:

I think this is what a large portion of people who aren't players and want this to happen care about, myself included.  The potential downside to this is that you ruin the amateur aspect of college sports and IMO, college sports are much better than the pros bc of that aspect.  I like professional sports but I would rather watch a college game than a pro game almost any day (aside from certain matchups).

I wonder if there could be a way to draw a line between different types of financial gains. Some being off limits vs. others. For example, players could be eligible to receive royalties from jerseys (could be tricky because a nameless jersey is different than a named jersey, even though people will make a connection) or placement on promotional materials (i.e. if they make the cover of NCAA Football) but not from general ticket sales? Just shooting from the hip.

Generally speaking, I do fear for the lower level programs and the general sanctity of college football with these conversations. I don't necessarily have the right answers, but I don't want the sport's competitiveness or enjoyment to suffer. I hope there's some sort of a happy middle ground. 

4 hours ago, Landlord said:

Headline is quite misleading. The NCAA has been paying players a ton for a long time.

I think that's different than what the article (and headline) are discussing.

But, of course, turning athletes into employees has never been the focus of the name, image and likeness (NLI) debate. Granting college athletes the ability to market their own name, image and likeness would keep the relationship between player and school the same while allowing third parties — be they Nike or Bob’s Lawn Mower and Tractor Supply — to treat athletes like employees.

Right now, yes, athletes get stipends and cash from universities. What they can't do is privately market themselves as an athlete in exchange for benefits. I believe opportunities related to the latter is the focus, which is a different discussion than what you're referencing.

13 hours ago, Enhance said:

I think that's different than what the article (and headline) are discussing.

Right now, yes, athletes get stipends and cash from universities. What they can't do is privately market themselves as an athlete in exchange for benefits. I believe opportunities related to the latter is the focus, which is a different discussion than what you're referencing.

I was talking about the title of your thread :P