Racist promposal sign

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/racist-promposal-sign-will-will-lead-severe-consequences-southern-california-n1006021

I guess I’m glad the school is planning to dish out some punitive measures. What these students did is unacceptable. But my question is, I believe this was a public high school and I’m curious what basis the school has for punishing students who apparently did this off of school property and who themselves did not make the social media posts. How can they enact any school punishment?

I know it’s commonplace for sports and extracurriculars to suspend or remove kids from participation based on social media posts of drinking or drugs because it violates coach or team rules. But those are elective participation things and are treated differently than simply going to school. Any ideas on how they’ll punish these kids and make it stick?

11 hours ago, JJ Husker said:

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/racist-promposal-sign-will-will-lead-severe-consequences-southern-california-n1006021

I guess I’m glad the school is planning to dish out some punitive measures. What these students did is unacceptable. But my question is, I believe this was a public high school and I’m curious what basis the school has for punishing students who apparently did this off of school property and who themselves did not make the social media posts. How can they enact any school punishment?

I know it’s commonplace for sports and extracurriculars to suspend or remove kids from participation based on social media posts of drinking or drugs because it violates coach or team rules. But those are elective participation things and are treated differently than simply going to school. Any ideas on how they’ll punish these kids and make it stick?

They aren't going to prom I can tell you that much.

• Haha 2
6 minutes ago, Nebfanatic said:

They aren't going to prom I can tell you that much.

Yeah, I figured that was a given. Just doesn't seem like severe enough consequences. In today's world, I just can't picture the school getting away with doing much more than that.

• Plus1 1
14 minutes ago, JJ Husker said:

Yeah, I figured that was a given. Just doesn't seem like severe enough consequences. In today's world, I just can't picture the school getting away with doing much more than that.

It's a good discussion. It's basically a question of the school's authoritative reach.

I'm guessing the one thing that gives the school an "in," so to speak, is that it was related to an upcoming school event. Their school and district probably have policies against verbally or physically abusive behavior and it might extend to cover something like this. Perhaps it would be different if it had nothing to do with the school at all and then it would be more of a private matter? I don't know the answer but that's my best guess at this point.

A kid at my high school was suspended/expelled for verbally threatening to beat up another kid at an upcoming basketball game. He posted the threat on MySpace. Obviously different circumstances, but, this discussion made me think of that. It probably depends a lot on the school's and district's code of conduct.

• Plus1 3
On 5/16/2019 at 8:55 AM, Enhance said:

It's a good discussion. It's basically a question of the school's authoritative reach.

I'm guessing the one thing that gives the school an "in," so to speak, is that it was related to an upcoming school event. Their school and district probably have policies against verbally or physically abusive behavior and it might extend to cover something like this. Perhaps it would be different if it had nothing to do with the school at all and then it would be more of a private matter? I don't know the answer but that's my best guess at this point.

A kid at my high school was suspended/expelled for verbally threatening to beat up another kid at an upcoming basketball game. He posted the threat on MySpace. Obviously different circumstances, but, this discussion made me think of that. It probably depends a lot on the school's and district's code of conduct.

Think it falls under the freedom of speech, but not freedom from consequences. Prom is an extracurricular activity, and you can be suspended from playing a sport for threatening speech, a stupid prank, or something as simple as skipping class for Senior Skip Day.