** 2019 Opponent Previews : Minnesota (Game 7) **

39 minutes ago, nic said:

Michighan versus Nebrasks 2018.

Nebraska: 39 yards rushing, 93 yards passing. 132 yards total. Didn't score untuil 5:23 left in the 3rd quarter. 

I call that stopped. 

I believe weather conditions helped both defenses a lot that game. Was really hard to pass the ball and both defenses were able to take advantage if it. Otherwise there probably would have been a lot more scoring from both teams imo.

32 minutes ago, Wunderkind said:

I believe weather conditions helped both defenses a lot that game. Was really hard to pass the ball and both defenses were able to take advantage if it. Otherwise there probably would have been a lot more scoring from both teams imo.

Well Michigan scored just fine against us. MSU is the game I believe you are thinking of.

32 minutes ago, Wunderkind said:

Martinez threw some good balls, but he was under pressure most of the day, and when he did have time the ball was often dropped or tipped. 

Michigan St was a much bigger factor than the weather. They shut down the run, shut down the screen game, and forced 3rd and longs. That’s a winning formula regardless of the barometer.

• Plus1 1
19 minutes ago, Nebfanatic said:

Well Michigan scored just fine against us. MSU is the game I believe you are thinking of.

Yes I think Wunderkind was thinking of the MSU game. Michigan put up 491 yards and 56 points. If I remember right, NU started off OK and a tipped pass  for an interception stopped an early drive. It was a huge turning point very early in the game.

1 hour ago, nic said:

Yes I think Wunderkind was thinking of the MSU game. Michigan put up 491 yards and 56 points. If I remember right, NU started off OK and a tipped pass  for an interception stopped an early drive. It was a huge turning point very early in the game.

Yep.  Spielman was open for a big gain, if not a TD on that tipped pass.  I sensed that was the swing to end it even in the first few minutes.

• Plus1 1

9 hours ago, nic said:

Yeah, I was talking about MSU.

2 hours ago, Xmas32 said:

Unfortunate to hear about Annexstad's injury and I hope he recovers pain free.  If I remember correctly, Morgan got the majority of the snaps in the 2nd part of the season right?  I know Minnesota got some life against NU when Morgan came in at QB.

Morgan played really well the last six games of the season, which coincided with the Gopher resurgence. That said, the coaches saw something in Annexstad last year to give him the starting job until he was hurt, and there was a good chance he would have gotten the nod this year as well.

Either way, Minnesota is going to primarily be a power running team.

• Plus1 1

4 hours ago, BowedButNotBeaten said:

Morgan played really well the last six games of the season, which coincided with the Gopher resurgence. That said, the coaches saw something in Annexstad last year to give him the starting job until he was hurt, and there was a good chance he would have gotten the nod this year as well.

Either way, Minnesota is going to primarily be a power running team.

3 hours ago, BowedButNotBeaten said:

Yes, Tyler Johnson is an NFL-bound receiver. But in the blowout wins over Purdue, Wisconsin and Georgia Tech, Tanner Morgan threw for 139, 124 and 132 yards.

Minnesota became primarily a power running team, and will continue to be that this season.

Needless to say, the goal is to do all things well.  If we don't have a balanced attack this season that'll be a huge disappointment to up-and-coming sophomore receivers Rashod Bateman and Demetrius Douglass.

6 hours ago, BowedButNotBeaten said:

Yes, Tyler Johnson is an NFL-bound receiver. But in the blowout wins over Purdue, Wisconsin and Georgia Tech, Tanner Morgan threw for 139, 124 and 132 yards.

Minnesota became primarily a power running team, and will continue to be that this season.

With play counts of 61, 63, 56 and plus 5 in turnovers. The choice to run in those games was highly contingent on score.