** 2019 Opponent Previews : Minnesota (Game 7) **

16 minutes ago, WyoHusker56 said:

Iowa lost a close one to NDSU in 2016 and ended up 2nd in the west. So, I'm not writing them off, but their offensive and defensive lines have just been dominated in this game. 

It’s been shocking to say the least. It doesn’t look like the same team that pounded finished the year strong last year. Something is off with their run defense.  It just looks bad for the B1G West. 

• Plus1 1

4 minutes ago, ZMagers22 said:

It’s been shocking to say the least. It doesn’t look like the same team that pounded finished the year strong last year. Something is off with their run defense.  It just looks bad for the B1G West. 

Yes, shocking is a good description for sure. SDSU made some critical errors with turnovers and penalties that honestly lost them the game. Minnesota took advantage, but they were pretty much unforced errors. 

9 minutes ago, 4skers89 said:

They didn't look impressive and needed that win to keep the boat afloat.  I'm not going to discount them based on first game results but they need to row harder. 

It is just one game, but it’s also quite similar to last year’s non-con where wins hid some of their issues. This was a good FCS school they played, but Minnesota should have at least had an advantage on the lines and they were often dominated. Outside a couple splash plays, hard to tell which was the FCS school.

I think they’ll still go undefeated in the non-con portion, but they need to significantly ramp up their energy level to compete against anyone in the Big Ten. Poor effort all night, imo.

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1

17 minutes ago, brophog said:

It is just one game, but it’s also quite similar to last year’s non-con where wins hid some of their issues. This was a good FCS school they played, but Minnesota should have at least had an advantage on the lines and they were often dominated. Outside a couple splash plays, hard to tell which was the FCS school.

I think they’ll still go undefeated in the non-con portion, but they need to significantly ramp up their energy level to compete against anyone in the Big Ten. Poor effort all night, imo.

They play like they did tonight on the road next week and Fresno State will destroy them. 

• Plus1 2
6 minutes ago, brophog said:

I thought they could have pounded the ball and run over SDSU based on size difference.  I'm not sure if the reason they didn't was because they wanted to work on their whole offense or they were having difficulty.  I missed a lot of SDSU offensive series but I heard the commentators say that Minny couldn't hold the edge, similar to how we exploited them.  I believe you are correct, they have some issues on defense and their defensive turnaround last year might not be real.  Minny was so up and down last year, I didn't know what to think.

36 minutes ago, 4skers89 said:

I thought they could have pounded the ball and run over SDSU based on size difference.  I'm not sure if the reason they didn't was because they wanted to work on their whole offense or they were having difficulty. 

They couldn’t run because they didn’t get any push and they didn’t get any push because they didn’t get any angles. It was like Minnesota thought they could just fire off and get 5 yards so they didn’t bother running any offense.