** 2019 Opponent Previews : Minnesota (Game 7) **

47 minutes ago, BlitzFirst said:

His QBR was 62.9 - see here:  https://www.espn.com/college-football/boxscore?gameId=401112229

Hardly great at all.  But I agree with you that he was efficient...more of a game manager than wow maker.

ESPN's QBR metric (which goes from 0-100) is different than QB rating, which was 161.6 for Morgan last night. There needs to be some kind of acronym reshuffle because it's very confusing.

56 minutes ago, GSG said:

I didn't catch a lot of the game, but was your pass protection decent? Is Morgan going to be as effective if he's constantly running for his life or getting hit? 

Pass protection was hideous. SDSU was doing nothing but running simple stunts from their defensive line and Minnesota had no answers. That's why his stat line, which was pretty darn good, is even better in that light.

• Plus1 1
3 hours ago, Husker in WI said:

Fixed it, still impressive but slightly less so. Morgan definitely wasn't the problem though, he looked pretty good. I still don't know what his ceiling is, but he's tough, mobile, and made some nice throws.

Question, I got the impression from the Minnesota board that drops aren't actually that unusual for Johnson - kinda the TO issue where he's really really good and makes crazy catches, but also randomly drops catchable balls. Is that actually the case or did the drops come out of nowhere?

Indeed, Tanner Morgan was a redshirt freshman. Good catch. That Jackrabbit game really has me rattled.

And yes, drops are a weird zit on Johnson's game. He's so gifted with route running, using his body as a shield, and yard after the catch. But 1-2 times a game he won't look an easy pass into his hands and doink it.

4 minutes ago, BowedButNotBeaten said:

ESPN's QBR metric (which goes from 0-100) is different than QB rating, which was 161.6 for Morgan last night. There needs to be some kind of acronym reshuffle because it's very confusing.

I'm sure he knew you were referencing a different metric, just replying with one that doesn't favor your point. I think both ratings have issues, but the person defending Morgan's performance is going to prefer QB rating and someone criticizing it will prefer QBR. In either case he was somewhere above average to very good range, and I thought just from the eye test more towards good - very objective, I know.

19 minutes ago, BowedButNotBeaten said:

Pass protection was hideous. SDSU was doing nothing but running simple stunts from their defensive line and Minnesota had no answers. That's why his stat line, which was pretty darn good, is even better in that light.

I agree his passing was not near as bad as it could appear. I thought he looked pretty good overall. However, I think one big knock on him was his slow decision making on RPO. On multiple occasions it felt like he took way too long to keep or hand off the ball. Against a faster defense that will end really poorly.

17 minutes ago, Husker in WI said:

I'm sure he knew you were referencing a different metric, just replying with one that doesn't favor your point. I think both ratings have issues, but the person defending Morgan's performance is going to prefer QB rating and someone criticizing it will prefer QBR. In either case he was somewhere above average to very good range, and I thought just from the eye test more towards good - very objective, I know.

Indeed. My only defense of last night's game is that I'd rather be 1-0 than 0-1, and that provides some solace.

Meanwhile, I expect Nebraska to have no such issues with South Alabama tomorrow. I'm still keeping alive the faint hope that both teams will be undefeated on October 12th when they play in Minneapolis.

• Plus1 1
4 minutes ago, WyoHusker56 said:

I agree his passing was not near as bad as it could appear. I thought he looked pretty good overall. However, I think one big knock on him was his slow decision making on RPO. On multiple occasions it felt like he took way too long to keep or hand off the ball. Against a faster defense that will end really poorly.

Completely agree. It was so weird - like he and the back were glued together for a moment or two. Perhaps the sight of Jackrabbit linemen crashing through the slotted spoon of our offensive line confused him.

• Haha 1
4 hours ago, BowedButNotBeaten said:

I think the Gophers need to throw the ball more.

My problem, not only last night, but basically since Fleck got there is that the offense is disjointed. You could run an option offense and pass 7 times a game or an Air Raid system that ran 7 times a game and still be an extremely effective offense because those systems are very cohesive. All the parts work together. A cohesive offense, regardless if where that balance lies, helps in recruiting and development, how you take practice reps, and just so many things.

A disjointed offense is doing one thing today, but tomorrow it’s something else and instead of knowing what works and working around those weaknesses it’s constantly searching. That can work to an extent if you have athletes that can make tough plays, but it’s hard work and ultimately very limiting. 

• Plus1 1
3 hours ago, BowedButNotBeaten said:

Faalele has a ways to go after watchimg him last night. His feet get stuck in concrete and guys run right around him

• Plus1 1
1 hour ago, brophog said:

My problem, not only last night, but basically since Fleck got there is that the offense is disjointed. You could run an option offense and pass 7 times a game or an Air Raid system that ran 7 game and still be an extremely effective offense because those systems are very cohesive. All the parts work together. A cohesive offense, regardless if where that balance lies, helps in recruiting and development, how you take practice reps, and just so many things.

A disjointed offense is doing one thing today, but tomorrow it’s something else and instead of knowing what works and working around those weaknesses it’s constantly searching. That can work to an extent if you have athletes that can’t make tough plays, but it’s hard work and ultimately very limiting. 

s1beck.jpg

• Plus1 2

2 hours ago, BowedButNotBeaten said:

Indeed. My only defense of last night's game is that I'd rather be 1-0 than 0-1, and that provides some solace.

Meanwhile, I expect Nebraska to have no such issues with South Alabama tomorrow. I'm still keeping alive the faint hope that both teams will be undefeated on October 12th when they play in Minneapolis.

If Minn doesn't play a lot better, they're about to get slaughtered in Fresno next week.

• 5 weeks later...