** 2019 Opponent Previews : Minnesota (Game 7) **

3 minutes ago, Undone said:

Can't understand it either. Maybe he liked Morgan on those quick hitter outside WR screen plays because of his strength to fight through tackles. Or Maybe they tried practicing those plays and Martinez hasn't been throwing a good ball on those. 

Who knows?

I think some of it also required a downfield threat to draw off a safety to free up the WR you're using for a screen...and frankly, until the O-Line steps it up, no one will respect our downfield threat. 

We had at least one WR open downfield on at least 90% of the passing plays against NW. We just don't have a QB with patience because he's jumping for a snap and then running for his life. When your O-Line is playing like it is, even things like a WR screen suddenly become more difficult than they should be. 

• Plus1 2

1 hour ago, VectorVictor said:

I think some of it also required a downfield threat to draw off a safety to free up the WR you're using for a screen...and frankly, until the O-Line steps it up, no one will respect our downfield threat. 

We had at least one WR open downfield on at least 90% of the passing plays against NW. We just don't have a QB with patience because he's jumping for a snap and then running for his life. When your O-Line is playing like it is, even things like a WR screen suddenly become more difficult than they should be. 

It sure doesn't feel like we've taken as many deep shots this year.  Not sure if Martinez doesn't have as much time, isn't looking there as much or what.  

Northwestern often had no one deeper than 8-9 yards at the snap.  But we still weren't really challenging them.  Perhaps the wind had something to do with it in that game but it seems like a trend for the year.  Which is really odd considering Frost's history of pressing the ball deep.

• Plus1 1
1 hour ago, Mavric said:

It sure doesn't feel like we've taken as many deep shots this year.  Not sure if Martinez doesn't have as much time, isn't looking there as much or what.  

Northwestern often had no one deeper than 8-9 yards at the snap.  But we still weren't really challenging them.  Perhaps the wind had something to do with it in that game but it seems like a trend for the year.  Which is really odd considering Frost's history of pressing the ball deep.

If the wind is an excuse for no deep shots, then be prepared for no deep shot this weekend.  Forecast is 20 mph wind with guts to 35.

1 hour ago, Mavric said:

Rob has touched on this a bit in Husker Doc Talk.  It doesn't seem a deep threat has developed this season, and JD and Wan'dale are slot guys.

The inexperience of the OL adds to it.

1 hour ago, Mavric said:

Exactly, it's *really* odd. Though as soon as Vedral came in, he did just that and went downfield to Wan'Dale IIRC. So...I'm thinking it's a mix of poor O-Line play, high snapping by the Center, and Martinez being skittish this season (due to the aforementioned poor O-Line play). 

Hate to be this guy, but maybe Vedral taking snaps is the tonic we need to get things moving again?

3 minutes ago, TheSker said:

Rob has touched on this a bit in Husker Doc Talk.  It doesn't seem a deep threat has developed this season, and JD and Wan'dale are slot guys.

I'd disagree vehemently with the first assertion--there have been receivers (e.g. Noa) that are as wide open as my ex-girlfriend at the Royal Grove on penny pitcher night, especially during the NW game. Hell, go back through the game threads and there are a large number of messages that pop up where someone's pointing out 'hey, Noa was wide open', especially on an ill-advised throw Martinez made. 

If anything, I think we have one in Noa, but damn if Martinez can't/won't get the ball to him. 

3 minutes ago, Red Five said:

If the wind is an excuse for no deep shots, then be prepared for no deep shot this weekend.  Forecast is 20 mph wind with guts to 35.

Hopefully the wind is blowing along the field instead of across it, the at least you can take a few shots in 2 of the quarters.

2 minutes ago, TheSker said:

One of my only issues with the coaches this year is they've mentioned Woodyard/Williams/Nance as guys who can be deep threats. I know they want them to practice well and earn the coaches' trust, but we can't work them in enough to take some shots? Obviously can't be every play or it's easy to pick up on, but it feels possible.

1 minute ago, VectorVictor said:

Exactly, it's *really* odd. Though as soon as Vedral came in, he did just that and went downfield to Wan'Dale IIRC. So...I'm thinking it's a mix of poor O-Line play, high snapping by the Center, and Martinez being skittish this season (due to the aforementioned poor O-Line play). 

Hate to be this guy, but maybe Vedral taking snaps is the tonic we need to get things moving again?

The last drive of the game when we needed a score, not "as soon as he came in." And we ran the switch concept a few times in the 2nd quarter with Martinez, one was just out sooner so not as long and one was a bad throw/drop. One deep shot in an end of game scenario is not magically opening up the deep passing game with Vedral.

1 minute ago, Husker in WI said:

The last drive of the game when we needed a score, not "as soon as he came in." And we ran the switch concept a few times in the 2nd quarter with Martinez, one was just out sooner so not as long and one was a bad throw/drop. One deep shot in an end of game scenario is not magically opening up the deep passing game with Vedral.

I didn't say it was magically opening up the deep passing game--sorry to ruin your strawman there.

4 minutes ago, VectorVictor said:

I'd disagree vehemently with the first assertion--there have been receivers (e.g. Noa) that are as wide open as my ex-girlfriend at the Royal Grove on penny pitcher night, especially during the NW game. Hell, go back through the game threads and there are a large number of messages that pop up where someone's pointing out 'hey, Noa was wide open', especially on an ill-advised throw Martinez made. 

If anything, I think we have one in Noa, but damn if Martinez can't/won't get the ball to him. 

Noa is not a deep threat.

Being "open" doesn't make him a threat.

• Thanks 1

This is the first game that really matters. Colorado loss sucks-but that was only a blow to our ego and not a blow to the season. We were never going to beat Ohio State- but the set up was great and I think that buzz got us some recruits. But this game is a true mark of where we are and how much moxie we have. It truly is the first meaningful game this year

I gave up 50 yard line tickets to LSU/Florida to stay home and watch this so it better be worth it. 

• Plus1 2
1 minute ago, VectorVictor said:

I didn't say it was magically opening up the deep passing game--sorry to ruin your strawman there.

Fair enough, I guess I took the quote below about getting things moving to mean open up the deep passes, and that's not exactly true.

6 minutes ago, VectorVictor said:

I still saw very little different with Martinez out, the shot to Wan'Dale is the same route we'd run twice with Martinez. I think people are seeing what they want to see, and putting way too much weight on a good drive against the NIU backups and a nice pass to Wan'Dale Saturday.

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1
7 minutes ago, Red Five said:

It will be out of the west.  So it will be blowing from the open end of the stadium to the closed end.

I am very much not an expert on weather, but blowing into the closed end of a stadium seems like a recipe for swirling winds which would not be great. For either team really, so mostly a wash.

18 minutes ago, Husker in WI said:

I still saw very little different with Martinez out, the shot to Wan'Dale is the same route we'd run twice with Martinez. I think people are seeing what they want to see, and putting way too much weight on a good drive against the NIU backups and a nice pass to Wan'Dale Saturday.

I agree there was not a lot different other than I do agree that Vedral ran a bit more decisively than AM. However, the throw to Wan'Dale was almost identical to one AM hit him on earlier you can see it here:

Also, while I think AM needs to pull it down and run a bit more often or sooner, he's not always getting the chance. In the video you can see at the 1:14 mark there is 58 seconds left in the quarter when he gets the snap it looks like he makes two reads and pulls it down to run at about 55 seconds, but a guy immediately has his ankles the he gets hit from behind. 3 seconds is the bare minimum that your OL should protect and there was a huge hole if Hixson stays on that block.

Also, at 0:38 you can see where Frost's reference to AM making a throw like Patrick Mahomes comes from.

• Plus1 2