** 2019 Opponent Previews : Minnesota (Game 7) **

• 4 weeks later...
5 minutes ago, Husker in WI said:

Yeah, some Minny fans were complaining they didn't get gameday. Bad luck that it's the same weekend as LSU/Bama, but no chance if you can't even sellout an undefeated matchup.. That's a little embarrassing.

I assume they will sell it out before the game starts but that stadium still wont be more than 90% full.

No one up here really cares about the Gophers. 

Even with PJ Fleck and all his sayings and the teams success it isnt sustainable for that long unless the fans show up. 

I have never really understood it. 40K students and they cant get 5K to show up for a game. 

3+ million in Twin Cities and cant get 45K for a game.

I always hear the whole "MN has more things to do" but I just dont buy that argument. Its because people just dont care about the Gophers. 

6 minutes ago, Minnesota_husker said:

I assume they will sell it out before the game starts but that stadium still wont be more than 90% full.

No one up here really cares about the Gophers. 

Even with PJ Fleck and all his sayings and the teams success it isnt sustainable for that long unless the fans show up. 

I have never really understood it. 40K students and they cant get 5K to show up for a game. 

3+ million in Twin Cities and cant get 45K for a game.

I always hear the whole "MN has more things to do" but I just dont buy that argument. Its because people just dont care about the Gophers. 

Yeah, it's kind of funny because I feel like the whole year I heard that it's just the fans have been burned before, and it will take a lot to buy back in. But the consensus was if they were undefeated going into this game the excitement would be there - and I'm sure it is for many of them. But that is not a large stadium, and I've gotta think almost every other team in the conference could sell it out in the same situation. Not even supposed to be bad weather, you can't ask for more than 40 degrees in November!

8 hours ago, Husker in WI said:

Yeah, it's kind of funny because I feel like the whole year I heard that it's just the fans have been burned before, and it will take a lot to buy back in. But the consensus was if they were undefeated going into this game the excitement would be there - and I'm sure it is for many of them. But that is not a large stadium, and I've gotta think almost every other team in the conference could sell it out in the same situation. Not even supposed to be bad weather, you can't ask for more than 40 degrees in November!

Exactly. I have heard plenty of Gopher fans exclaim "I am going to watch it on TV" like that is somehow some feat. You should always be watching your team on TV.. 

11 hours ago, Minnesota_husker said:

Haha, who says that?  I understand hearing that in LA, Miami or here in Boulder/Denver, but not in Minneapolis.   What is there to do in November in Minnesota that keeps people away?

3 hours ago, runningblind said:

Haha, who says that?  I understand hearing that in LA, Miami or here in Boulder/Denver, but not in Minneapolis.   What is there to do in November in Minnesota that keeps people away?

I'm curious, too. I've spent a couple summers in Minn/St. Paul, but that was summer.  Now it isn't cold enough for snow to stay on the ground for snowmobiles nor being cold long enough to freeze the lakes enough for ice fishing or curling (:lol:).  Maybe they're gathering nuts before hibernating like real gophers would be doing by now? ;) 

• Plus1 1
12 hours ago, runningblind said:

November is a bit weird because the lakes are cold but not frozen but a lot of people go to cabins. Pro sports is another argument, so this time of year on a Saturday- Wild or Wolves. Tons of concerts/shows.

Again, I dont really buy it if you truly are a fan but as someone who has lived in Lincoln, Omaha and Minneapolis, there are more things to do up here from outdoors to shows/concerts/sports.

• 1 month later...