B1G Printing Money

12 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

John Bishop isn't commenting on the big picture here.  The season starts in February.  MLB gets flak sometimes for cold, and wintry conditions when they start in late March.  Move the season back a month and I think you see the Big Ten more accomodating to the 3rd assistant as the weather becomes less of a competitive disadvantage.  

26 minutes ago, Enhance said:

I'm not sure. Perhaps it's because it's one additional week of programming, so more ad revenue?

3 minutes ago, DrinkinwitTerrellFarley said:

I agree, it's worth more to the network to have a conference game instead of a OOC game against Charleston Southern and the school of the defunct Confederate Army, The Citadel.  

If they play a conference game, all the money stays in the conference.  If they play an OOC game, a sizable amount goes to the opponent.  

1 hour ago, Enhance said:

I'm not sure. Perhaps it's because it's one additional week of programming, so more ad revenue?

It's the same number of weeks because the B1G network shows non-conference games as well.

1 hour ago, DrinkinwitTerrellFarley said:

I agree, it's worth more to the network to have a conference game instead of a OOC game against Charleston Southern and the school of the defunct Confederate Army, The Citadel.  

1 hour ago, BigRedBuster said:

If they play a conference game, all the money stays in the conference.  If they play an OOC game, a sizable amount goes to the opponent.  

But they can play twice as many non-conference games as conference games in any given week. So that means the conference games must be worth more than double the non-conference games. I mean, the total says the B1G is making more money, but I don't see how it's due to 8 vs 9 conference games.

3 hours ago, RedDenver said:

It's the same number of weeks because the B1G network shows non-conference games as well.

But they can play twice as many non-conference games as conference games in any given week. So that means the conference games must be worth more than double the non-conference games. I mean, the total says the B1G is making more money, but I don't see how it's due to 8 vs 9 conference games.

I think it has to do with the total number of home games.  The more OOC away games that are not broadcast on the Big Ten Network, the less money that is brought in.

2 hours ago, TheMeanFarmer said:

One of the best reasons that the B1G should NOT expand. 

Don't need to. 

Horns, Sooners, Cougars, Domers... For right now we don't need you!

We'll never "need" the whorns unless the B1G suddenly becomes fond of masochism and self immolation.  Would take the Sooners and Irish anytime they want to join, whether or not we "need" them.

• Plus1 4