B1G Printing Money

1 hour ago, DrinkinwitTerrellFarley said:

I am sure I am in the minority but I prefer Texas over Oklahoma because Texas adds recruiting territory to a conference that needs it.  OU hitched their wagon to UT over NU years ago and Oklahoma adds very little to recruiting options.  I'd add Texas and Kansas.  Sign me up for the 'Huskers beating the 'Horns  over the Sooners.

1 hour ago, DrinkinwitTerrellFarley said:

I am sure I am in the minority but I prefer Texas over Oklahoma because Texas adds recruiting territory to a conference that needs it.  OU hitched their wagon to UT over NU years ago and Oklahoma adds very little to recruiting options.  I'd add Texas and Kansas.  Sign me up for the 'Huskers beating the 'Horns  over the Sooners.

Fair points, but the biggest problem with this post is F#%K TEXAS

• Plus1 2
  • Haha 1

On 5/16/2019 at 5:55 PM, huKSer said:

I think it has to do with the total number of home games.  The more OOC away games that are not broadcast on the Big Ten Network, the less money that is brought in.

Is it because conference games are more valuable to the networks to broadcast than the non conference games against lesser opponents? The networks will pay more for big 10 versus big 10 games.

Funny, an ESPN talking head was commenting on the Big Ten at the top of the mountain as far as conference revenue.  He then made an unsubstantiated comment about the SEC being on the top and surpassing the Big Ten in a year.  They just can't help themselves.   I thought part of the genius of Jim Delany was that the Big Ten will be first again to negotiate when the time comes.  Unless he knows of some sort of SEC expansion in the future, I just laugh that the "company man" crap.  I wonder how much trash we are going to be fed about the ACC's 2nd best team when the ACC network gets going?  Propaganda for UVA, Boston College, or 'Cuse without earning it.

19 hours ago, DrinkinwitTerrellFarley said:

Funny, an ESPN talking head was commenting on the Big Ten at the top of the mountain as far as conference revenue.  He then made an unsubstantiated comment about the SEC being on the top and surpassing the Big Ten in a year.  They just can't help themselves.   I thought part of the genius of Jim Delany was that the Big Ten will be first again to negotiate when the time comes.  Unless he knows of some sort of SEC expansion in the future, I just laugh that the "company man" crap.  I wonder how much trash we are going to be fed about the ACC's 2nd best team when the ACC network gets going?  Propaganda for UVA, Boston College, or 'Cuse without earning it.

I don’t know about a year from now, but when the current CBS contract expires, no conference will catch them. That contract, due to its age, is massively underpaying the SEC. Unless we see a massive paradigm shift in the next five years, and population trends and such don’t suggest it, the SEC will still be the dominant recruiting area. Not only will we see broadcast and cable networks bidding in the next round, but we’re entering the “streaming wars”. The various networks know that cable’s biggest advantage is live sports broadcasting and they also know people are becoming apprehensive at buying so many small packages. 

The Big Ten should be proud to be in the position it’s in, based on those same factors. The other conferences (and teams like Texas) have shown it’s not easy to build and maintain a network. 

Everything I've read points to a 9 game conference schedule having a decent impact on the contract they signed.

Higher qualify opponents.  Games people care about, and will actually tune in to see.

The Big Ten used to have 10 cupcake games on the same day in weeks 2 or 3.  The BTN would have 3 crap games going on at the same time (B1G vs. MAC/SWC/1-AA).  Two would have to be on overflow channels.  Ratings were bad.  Their advertising revenue for those days was very poor.

Replacing 10 cupcake games with 2 conference games and 6 cupcake games is worthwhile.

How much money does it take to buy trophies?  Right now, we're cash rich and asset poor along with the rest of the B1G in comparison to the SEC.  We may laugh all the way to the bank while they laugh throughout the rest of the year.  Urban's "retirement" was a huge blow to the conference especially if Harboob can't get his $hit together.  Other than Frost and Harboob, what can this conference really hang it's hat on?  This conference is beginning to resemble the old Big 8 after OU went on probation. 

• Fire 2
3 hours ago, junior4949 said:

How much money does it take to buy trophies?  Right now, we're cash rich and asset poor along with the rest of the B1G in comparison to the SEC.  We may laugh all the way to the bank while they laugh throughout the rest of the year.  Urban's "retirement" was a huge blow to the conference especially if Harboob can't get his $hit together.  Other than Frost and Harboob, what can this conference really hang it's hat on?  This conference is beginning to resemble the old Big 8 after OU went on probation. 

what are you smoking

4 hours ago, junior4949 said:

Ohio State fan?

• Haha 1