B1G Printing Money

21 hours ago, Mavric said:

So seven years from now the Big XII will still be at 83% of what the B1G is now....

Yep and it has ramped up talk on OU boards about possibly and wanting to leave for greener pastures.  

• 1 month later...

1 hour ago, nic said:

Seriously though, when do they re negotiate their media deal? That might allow them the leap frog the BIG10 unless the cable cutters have put a dent in those contracts.

The big date is following the 2023 season when the CBS deal ends. 55 million a year will substantially be increased when that contract hits the open market.

14 minutes ago, brophog said:

The big date is following the 2023 season when the CBS deal ends. 55 million a year will substantially be increased when that contract hits the open market.

Doesn't the Big10 renegotiate in 2024? I think this current contract was shorter than others. That would mean we leap frog back a year later. :cowbell:

• Fire 1

I think ours is actually over in 2022. If I remember right by the math, it was a six year deal that was inked summer of 2017, and I think I also remember people being so unbelievably impressed that we got such an insane dollar amount and that we kicked a$$ enough to where we get to re-negotiate AGAIN before the SEC does.

So, expect this to continue.

Edit: This is from forbes:

The SEC Network’s cash infusion has placed that conference in an enviable position, but the rights deal with ESPN is in place through 2033-34. The Big Ten’s TV contracts expire after 2022-23, sooner than all of the other major conferences'. That doesn’t necessarily mean the Big Ten will score an even more expensive deal in a few years, but the record viewership that Fox enjoyed in its first year as a Big Ten college football partner – a bounce of 23% in average viewership – is an early indication that the property will remain extremely valuable to the network.

The SECs CBS deal runs through 2023, but their ESPN SEC Network deal is set for another decade after that, and our media deal entirely is up in 2023 as well.

• Plus1 1
7 hours ago, Landlord said:

I think ours is actually over in 2022. If I remember right by the math, it was a six year deal that was inked summer of 2017, and I think I also remember people being so unbelievably impressed that we got such an insane dollar amount and that we kicked a$$ enough to where we get to re-negotiate AGAIN before the SEC does.

So, expect this to continue.

Edit: This is from forbes:

The SECs CBS deal runs through 2023, but their ESPN SEC Network deal is set for another decade after that, and our media deal entirely is up in 2023 as well.

With the SEC ESPN contract locked for so long that could limit their upside. It will be interesting to see if the Big10 negotiates as well with new leadership at the helm, now that uncle Jim road off into the sunset.

On 5/17/2019 at 11:38 AM, DrinkinwitTerrellFarley said:

I am sure I am in the minority but I prefer Texas over Oklahoma because Texas adds recruiting territory to a conference that needs it.  OU hitched their wagon to UT over NU years ago and Oklahoma adds very little to recruiting options.  I'd add Texas and Kansas.  Sign me up for the 'Huskers beating the 'Horns  over the Sooners.

This is a fallacy, as Oklahoma has successfully recruited Texas (better than most Texas schools, even) well before the Big XII was formed. Hell, Oklahoma is more popular in North Texas than Texas is, and Oklahoma is a successful recruiter through the state, even after the Big XII lost South Texas to the SEC. 

If anything, adding Oklahoma will open Texas up for the B1G (or at the very least, North Texas) just as well as any Texas school would. 

4 hours ago, nic said:

With the SEC ESPN contract locked for so long that could limit their upside. It will be interesting to see if the Big10 negotiates as well with new leadership at the helm, now that uncle Jim road off into the sunset.

One of the biggest concerns with the upcoming negotiations are how much of an impact online television streaming will have--ESPN has been hemorrhaging viewership and money left and right (which is why they were gutting website content, journalists (both online and in front of the camera), and programming) and if the new B1G Commissioner at that point will be up to the task of negotiating a better deal. 

Also, don't forget that streaming media providers (e.g. Amazon, Netflix) have shown interest in broadcasting both live/new content and prior programming content for the conferences. Just recently, Amazon Prime was showing interesting in picking up all of the orphaned Fox Sports local channels from the Disney/Fox merger. This could add to our coffers as well. 

And I'm not sure about the upcoming replacement Commissioner for the B1G. I've seen good things...but I'm concerned about his lack of experience in many core areas of conference leadership, including negotiating media deals. 

On 6/1/2019 at 8:31 AM, Stumpy1 said:

Yep and it has ramped up talk on OU boards about possibly and wanting to leave for greener pastures.  

These talks have been happening for years now, ever since we bolted for the B1G. 

Problem is, the fans want the SEC (probably because it's a better cultural fit with no emphasis on academics). However, the then-President and leadership of OU wanted the B1G, as the OU leadership has been keen on how Nebraska has significantly improved their academic standing since leaving the Big XII (thanks in large part to the academic CIC program and spending cuts realized as being part of the B1G). Oklahoma, under their previous President, wanted to emulate that success at Oklahoma, and the B1G was the only way that would happen. 

Also, if you go back to a couple of years ago, Barry Trammel for the Oklahoman was writing multiple pieces about how great the B1G was in comparison to the Big XII, how academics are a core piece to B1G membership, and comparing the B1G to the status quo Big XII. Barry is, if nothing else, has been a convenient mouthpiece and sounding board for Oklahoma's leadership in the media, so take those pieces as you will.

Now, that President has since left OU, and I haven't been able to get a read on current leadership and if the efforts and desire to improve Oklahoma's academic standing are still intact. If so...then there's only one conference where they would have the opportunity improve both athletically (fiscally and otherwise) and academically, and that's the B1G.