Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Enhance

The Transfer Portal... not what it's cracked up to be?

Recommended Posts

Sam did a nice little dive into the portal and broke down some interesting numbers, particularly as it relates to the Huskers, suggesting that perhaps 'the grass isn't always greener on the other side.'

 

The article is behind their paywall, but some interesting nuggets:

- Of the 450 Power Five conference players to enter the portal, only 210 have signed with other schools so far

- 12 Nebraska players have entered the portal. Bunch came back; so, of the remaining 11, six are still looking for new homes including Guy Thomas, Quayshon Alexander, Breon Dixon, Just McGriff, Caleb Lightbourn and Brandon Hohenstein.

 

Quite a lot of guys (and not just Nebraska players) are going to have to look at FCS or a junior college just to make a roster.

 

Perhaps a tough lesson to learn for some of the players, but I'm all for the added flexibility either way. I think it's good to see data that suggests the portal isn't necessarily a slam dunk, and it feels like there's a perception out there that it sort of is.

 

OWH

  • Plus1 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A high percentage of Div 1 athletes were the best athlete in their high school and maybe in their conference. There can be many reasons a kid doesn't thrive in school. Some aren't bought in, some don't think they need to lift, some get recruited over, some don't have the IQ and many times when a coaching change happens they don fit the new system.  There are some diamonds in the portal but many are just glass.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Enhance said:

Sam did a nice little dive into the portal and broke down some interesting numbers, particularly as it relates to the Huskers, suggesting that perhaps 'the grass isn't always greener on the other side.'

 

The article is behind their paywall, but some interesting nuggets:

- Of the 450 Power Five conference players to enter the portal, only 210 have signed with other schools so far

- 12 Nebraska players have entered the portal. Bunch came back; so, of the remaining 11, six are still looking for new homes including Guy Thomas, Quayshon Alexander, Breon Dixon, Just McGriff, Caleb Lightbourn and Brandon Hohenstein.

 

Quite a lot of guys (and not just Nebraska players) are going to have to look at FCS or a junior college just to make a roster.

 

Perhaps a tough lesson to learn for some of the players, but I'm all for the added flexibility either way. I think it's good to see data that suggests the portal isn't necessarily a slam dunk, and it feels like there's a perception out there that it sort of is.

 

OWH

Not that it changes the theory, but McGriff and Thomas are at JUCO's.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Enhance said:

Sam did a nice little dive into the portal and broke down some interesting numbers, particularly as it relates to the Huskers, suggesting that perhaps 'the grass isn't always greener on the other side.'

 

The article is behind their paywall, but some interesting nuggets:

- Of the 450 Power Five conference players to enter the portal, only 210 have signed with other schools so far

- 12 Nebraska players have entered the portal. Bunch came back; so, of the remaining 11, six are still looking for new homes including Guy Thomas, Quayshon Alexander, Breon Dixon, Just McGriff, Caleb Lightbourn and Brandon Hohenstein.

 

Quite a lot of guys (and not just Nebraska players) are going to have to look at FCS or a junior college just to make a roster.

 

Perhaps a tough lesson to learn for some of the players, but I'm all for the added flexibility either way. I think it's good to see data that suggests the portal isn't necessarily a slam dunk, and it feels like there's a perception out there that it sort of is.

 

OWH

Why do those statistics mean it's "not what it's cracked up to be"?

 

Just because there is a portal......doesn't mean every player is going to find a new div 1 home. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, BigRedBuster said:

Just because there is a portal......doesn't mean every player is going to find a new div 1 home. 

 

Did you read the article? Since it's gated, it's difficult to go into too much detail.

 

The TL;DR is that the portal was specifically designed to help division one athletes transfer schools by dropping the requirement to ask for permission to leave from the current university. Now, more than half of the players who have done it don't have a new home, so it's likely a lot of the athletes are learning that the transfer portal may not have been the experience they expected.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

http://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/26755391/mcgee-schlabach-talkin-tua-trevor-transfers

 

What are there, like 1,800 kids in there now? I think some went in and never came out again! An SEC coach told me he was disciplining a kid for cutting class, called him into his office to talk to him about it. So, the kid walked out, went straight to the compliance guy and told him to put him into the portal. I think we are all for giving players more power, but we're also losing sight of the fact that these schools have invested a lot in these kids, too.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Enhance said:

 

Did you read the article? Since it's gated, it's difficult to go into too much detail.

 

The TL;DR is that the portal was specifically designed to help division one athletes transfer schools by dropping the requirement to ask for permission to leave from the current university. Now, more than half of the players who have done it don't have a new home, so it's likely a lot of the athletes are learning that the transfer portal may not have been the experience they expected.

 

That doesn’t mean it’s the portal’s fault. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, BigRedBuster said:

That doesn’t mean it’s the portal’s fault. 

He's not saying it is the portal's fault.

 

Players celebrated the adding of the transfer portal. It's an entitlement thing - "if the school/coach isn't loyal to me" (can leave, switch schools whenever they please) "why should I have to be loyal to them?". Most of these guys think they are God's gift to football and that if they won't be appreciated or receive playing time at the school they're at, surely someone else will recognize their talents. 

 

They're entering this new transfer portal in droves... only to find out they're not really that desirable, and the problem probably lies with themselves more than the place they are trying to leave. The portal isn't all that it was cracked up to be for the players. 

  • Plus1 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Atbone95 said:

He's not saying it is the portal's fault.

 

Players celebrated the adding of the transfer portal. It's an entitlement thing - "if the school/coach isn't loyal to me" (can leave, switch schools whenever they please) "why should I have to be loyal to them?". Most of these guys think they are God's gift to football and that if they won't be appreciated or receive playing time at the school they're at, surely someone else will recognize their talents. 

 

They're entering this new transfer portal in droves... only to find out they're not really that desirable, and the problem probably lies with themselves more than the place they are trying to leave. The portal isn't all that it was cracked up to be for the players. 

I think a small minority have an entitlement issue.  Most of them are transferring bc they have been told to move on.  Those are probably the guys that are left sitting in the pool.  Bell and maybe Lindsay moved on to seek more opportunity.  The rest of our guys don’t have a place on the team anymore.  It is in their favor to be able to contact coaches and have open communication regarding their football futures.    They will probably end up at a FCS school, d2, or juco.  That process has been somewhat happening for a long time, with or without the portal.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Atbone95 said:

He's not saying it is the portal's fault.

 

Players celebrated the adding of the transfer portal. It's an entitlement thing - "if the school/coach isn't loyal to me" (can leave, switch schools whenever they please) "why should I have to be loyal to them?". Most of these guys think they are God's gift to football and that if they won't be appreciated or receive playing time at the school they're at, surely someone else will recognize their talents. 

 

They're entering this new transfer portal in droves... only to find out they're not really that desirable, and the problem probably lies with themselves more than the place they are trying to leave. The portal isn't all that it was cracked up to be for the players. 

I don’t see how the portal hasn’t done what it’s supposed to. 

 

Fact is, a lot of these guys should have stayed at their current school if they want to be at an FBS school. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, BigRedBuster said:

I don’t see how the portal hasn’t done what it’s supposed to. 

 

Fact is, a lot of these guys should have stayed at their current school if they want to be at an FBS school. 

 

.... exactly? 

 

Thus, "the transfer portal isn't what it was cracked up to be"? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
55 minutes ago, Atbone95 said:

.... exactly? 

 

Thus, "the transfer portal isn't what it was cracked up to be"? 

Depends on whose perspective. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×