The Transfer Portal... not what it's cracked up to be?

I’ve been very outspoken about how I dislike the transfer portal and NIL…more specifically, how it works right now. 

But, one thing I’m thinking is, I think it’s spreading the talent out more in college football. Just look at the QB position. HS kids are willing to commit to lower ranked teams because they know they can transfer later. Good talent at top ranked teams are willing to transfer because they aren’t getting playing time. 

There are positives. There just needs to be lots of a system. 

I still think they whole system is going to blow up in a few years because none of this us sustainable. 

31 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

But, one thing I’m thinking is, I think it’s spreading the talent out more in college football.

I see it completely the other way. It's made it easier for the top teams to stack top classes year after year because it's so much easier to move guys out of your program. Some programs still did that in the past, but you faced a tremendous backlash when you pulled a scholarship. A team like Georgia now can just stack 5 stars on top of 5 stars and process them through the portal when they don't play.

I don't think we've seen an era this stacked at the very top end since the NCAA scholarship reductions several decades ago.

It seems like it has spread the talent out more, but in the past those guys would have started at other programs, anyhow, because they didn't want to sit behind 5 stars at the premier programs. Why even worry about that now, because half of the players either move onto the NFL in 3 years or exit via the portal.

I would also say that there's generally more talent overall in college football because basically everyone has tremendous facilities now. The number of programs investing heavily in development and nutrition is vastly improved over a few decades ago due to the tremendous amount of television money now in the sport.

Now that we likely only have one real target from the portal in Hill at DB..this feels pretty devastating to the offense. We need 1-2 WRs & a RB so badly. There is a distinct lack of playmakers. That backfield is barren. Devoid of talent. They should’ve let Johnson & IGC go. Not sure what the likelihood of getting Washington back is. But they really need some dudes to help out. I just don’t get why we are bringing in the TE volume in the 2024 class either. 

• Plus1 1
  • TBH 1
17 minutes ago, Decked said:

Now that we likely only have one real target from the portal in Hill at DB..this feels pretty devastating to the offense. We need 1-2 WRs & a RB so badly. There is a distinct lack of playmakers. That backfield is barren. Devoid of talent. They should’ve let Johnson & IGC go. Not sure what the likelihood of getting Washington back is. But they really need some dudes to help out. I just don’t get why we are bringing in the TE volume in the 2024 class either. 

Fwiw I gave you a +1 because I do have some concerns and I like your general point. But there is still a lot of time and there’s going to be a big exodus of transfers after bowl games and then again in the spring with grad transfers so I wouldn’t be surprised if some of that is the plan. 

Also, I think the numbers are really tight right now and they’re planning for some additions (and subtractions) after Raiola announces he’s coming here.

• Plus1 1
1 minute ago, Caliborn72 said:

Fwiw I gave you a +1 because I do have some concerns and I like your general point. But there is still a lot of time and there’s going to be a big exodus of transfers after bowl games and then again in the spring with grad transfers so I wouldn’t be surprised if some of that is the plan. 

Also, I think the numbers are really tight right now and they’re planning for some additions (and subtractions) after Raiola announces he’s coming here.

Spring portal will be slim pickings. We will see post bowl game. 

• Plus1 2

12 hours ago, Decked said:

I think Coleman, Lloyd, and Doss will take significant steps forward this year. I'd love an experienced guy too, but the year 2 leap for WRs is a thing. TE volume is a bit weird, but some will be at WR. Flynt is a true TE, gotta think the plan for Nelson is to be one as well - but the other guys (Clark, Smith) might be large WRs. 

Somebody like Kewan Lacy or Nate Frazier would be great at RB because we've got guys with injury issues. I think a healthy room of Ervin, Rahmir, Emmett, and Ives is fine - Ives is going to look like an entirely different dude with an offseason of S&C. But the first two haven't had a healthy year yet so it is concerning. And there's no Kenneth Walker in the portal - the big names are going elsewhere, and the rest are just bodies.

13 hours ago, Decked said:

But they really need some dudes to help out. I just don’t get why we are bringing in the TE volume in the 2024 class either. 

I think the idea there is similar to the DBs.....bring in a lot of athletes you like and move them around.

13 hours ago, Decked said:

We need 1-2 WRs & a RB so badly.

Losing Lacy really hurt this class.

• TBH 1