WR Shawn Hardy

HuskerBoard Predictor  

18 members have voted

1. 1. To which school will Hardy commit?

This poll is closed to new votes

5 hours ago, Warrior10 said:

I suppose Dixon is #1?

Yep.

They really like Brashard Smith out of Florida for that slot guy role and are pushing hard.  If Noel commits to us, then we might know where we stand with Smith. 

• Plus1 1
On 5/30/2020 at 7:20 PM, Decoy73 said:

Wow.  How is 4.825 even possible?  Good for him.  Talent and smarts.  I'll take it.

Been a while, maybe one of our resident HS teachers can explain for us.  @teachercd?

I thought if the kid is in advanced/honors, or AP, classes, those classes are graded on a 5.0 scale. So a B in an AP class is = to an A in a regular class. Does that sound right? 

Just now, Atbone95 said:

Been a while, maybe one of our resident HS teachers can explain for us.  @teachercd?

I thought if the kid is in advanced, or AP, classes, those classes are graded on a 5.0 scale. So a B in an AP class is = to an A in a regular class. Does that sound right? 

That is correct.  Not all schools do that anymore but most do.

Some schools ran into the "mommy problem" where a kid took an AP (oh honors)class, got an A (5 points)and a study hall,  while another kid took an AP class got an A (5 points) and band, got an A (4 points) and missed out on being valedictorian because their Band "A" was only 4 points.

So parents freaked the f#&% out.

1 hour ago, teachercd said:

That is correct.  Not all schools do that anymore but most do.

Some schools ran into the "mommy problem" where a kid took an AP (oh honors)class, got an A (5 points)and a study hall,  while another kid took an AP class got an A (5 points) and band, got an A (4 points) and missed out on being valedictorian because their Band "A" was only 4 points.

So parents freaked the f#&% out.

I get that it seems over the top but you're basically telling the kids that if they want to have a legit shot at valedictorian you can't be in band, take extra gym classes, take electives like robotics etc. 

The class above me in high school a girl won out valedictorian because she took a special pass/fail gym class over the summer, only because if it was during the year it would have been only worth 4.0.  The people she beat out took it during the year did everything else right (not take band, not take unnecessary electives, maximum study halls, etc) but their GPAs were still deluded because they weren't strategic enough to take the special pass/ fail gym over the summer like she was.  Seemed like a silly way to determine valedictorian. 

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, Head Coach Scott Frost said:

I get that it seems over the top but you're basically telling the kids that if they want to have a legit shot at valedictorian you can't be in band, take extra gym classes, take electives like robotics etc. 

The class above me in high school a girl won out valedictorian because she took a special pass/fail gym class over the summer, only because if it was during the year it would have been only worth 4.0.  The people she beat out took it during the year did everything else right (not take band, not take unnecessary electives, maximum study halls, etc) but their GPAs were still deluded because they weren't strategic enough to take the special pass/ fail gym over the summer like she was.  Seemed like a silly way to determine valedictorian. 

For sure...it is over the top BUT it also needs to be changed.  Just make it simple...and only count the same number of weighted classes for each student.

• Thanks 1

Or... Like many schools, end the elitist tradition of having to boast on 2 students. Val's & Sal's post HS accomplishments rarely result in more success then other class members. Sometimes, yes but that is not the norm. As a community we frown on "Look At Me or Look At My Accomplishments" boasts so why do we promote that agenda with our youth?

7 minutes ago, Loebarth said:

Or... Like many schools, end the elitist tradition of having to boast on 2 students. Val's & Sal's post HS accomplishments rarely result in more success then other class members. Sometimes, yes but that is not the norm. As a community we frown on "Look At Me or Look At My Accomplishments" boasts so why do we promote that agenda with our youth?

A lot of schools have done away with it completely, like you said.  

I personally like the idea of competition in pretty much every form and being recognized for having the best GPA is fine with me.

@teachercd until it's manipulated in one way or another. In many instances its the "Haves" that benefit while the "Have nots" are more deserving.

Sports in general is a very good example. I've seen and heard of the scenario where coachs are forced to start lesser players because parents of the lesser players have put thousands of dollars into the athlete thru select sports. (baseball, volleyball, softball, basketball) Parents believe they should have a voice in their child's sport because they've (the haves) spent thousands on their child's development. The parents feet feel their child should start even if the better athlete who isn't in select sports (parents can't afford it, the have nots) is more deserving.

41 minutes ago, Loebarth said:

@teachercd until it's manipulated in one way or another. In many instances its the "Haves" that benefit while the "Have nots" are more deserving.

Sports in general is a very good example. I've seen and heard of the scenario where coachs are forced to start lesser players because parents of the lesser players have put thousands of dollars into the athlete thru select sports. (baseball, volleyball, softball, basketball) Parents believe they should have a voice in their child's sport because they've (the haves) spent thousands on their child's development. The parents feet feel their child should start even if the better athlete who isn't in select sports (parents can't afford it, the have nots) is more deserving.

Sports is different though, because unless you are talking about sports like wrestling, golf, track, swimming...it is clear who is better, so no amount of parent b!^@hing really matters...Your kid shoots a 10 over and Timmy shoots 5 over...Timmy is playing in the tourney.  Same with Wrestling...you either win your wrestle off or you don't.

With volleyball (it is horrible) and baseball (Also bad), I think you have way more of those manipulated situations.  

Now with grades, it is sort of like those individual sports, your grades are what they are, your grades are either better or worse than someone else.  I suppose you could argue that some parents will b!^@h and moan to get a kids grade changed, that does happen.  I just don't think it happens a lot.  I do get your point and I don't think you are wrong.  I just don't think it happens a lot in academics, but it does happen.

• Mavric changed the title to WR Shawn Hardy